Fragrance is the New Second Hand Smoke

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Am I the only one who can get an instant headache from perfumes and fragrances?

https://returntonow.net/2018/06/17/fragrance-is-the-new-secondhand-smoke/

Fragrance is the New Second-Hand Smoke
JUNE 17, 2018 AT 7:20 PM

Hundreds of studies over the last two decades are finding “fragrance” in beauty products and household cleaners are just as bad or worse for our health than secondhand smoke. Is it time for fragrance-free workplaces, hotel rooms and sections in restaurants?

“It took decades for the workplace to acknowledge the deadly effects of exposure to second-hand smoke,” write researchers in a 2009 meta-analysis of studies on fragrance titled Fragrance in the Workplace is the New Second-hand Smoke. “But once the dangers were finally public, it only took a few years before smoke-free workplace laws were enacted across the nation.”
When a few people began complaining about second-hand smoke in the 1960s — a time when nearly half of American adults smoked — the general public and businesses considered it a fringe movement not likely to go anywhere.

But by 1985, smoke-free city ordinances began popping up, and by 2007, 30 states had passed comprehensive smoke-free laws.

“We propose that fragrance is following the same trajectory,” write the lead authors of the paper, Loyola University Maryland management professor Christy Devader and University of Maryland nursing professor Paxson Barker.

NoFragrance-300x192.jpg

The average U.S. consumer today is as uneducated about the dangers of synthetic fragrances as the average American was to the dangers of second-hand smoke in the 1960s, Devader and Barker argue.

Those dangers include chemicals that are known neurotoxins, carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, DNA mutagens, allergens, hepatotoxins and reproductive toxins all hidden under the simple ingredient label “fragrance.”

Manufacturers of beauty and cleaning products don’t have to disclose the hundreds of potential chemicals that could be used to make their fragrance, because they are considered “trade secrets” by the FDA.

Around 90% of the chemicals included in the label “fragrance” are synthesized from petroleum or coal tar. Toxic chemicals commonly found in products with “fragrance” on the ingredients list include acetone, phenol, toluene, benzyl acetate, limonene and formaldehyde.

A 2008 analysis of 6 top selling laundry products and air fresheners found “nearly 100 volatile organic compounds were emitted from the products, and five of the six products emitted one or more carcinogenic hazardous air pollutants which the Environmental Protection Agency considers to have no safe exposure level.”

A 2017 Australian study found synthetic fragrances trigger respiratory problems such as coughing and shortness of breath in 1 out of 5 people and migraines in 1 out of 10.

Another 10 percent experience rashes or other skin problems when exposed, and 8 percent said they’ve missed work or lost a job due to fragrance-related illness in the workplace.

A 2016 study found 1/3 of Americans report adverse health effects when exposed to artificial fragrances.

Breathing problems such as hay fever and asthma, found in 15-20% of North Americans, are also exacerbated by synthetic fragrance.
People with multiple chemical sensitivity can have even more severe reactions, making it difficult for them to hold a job or even go out in public.What makes fragrance even more insidious than secondhand smoke is the difficulty in detecting it. If you’re sensitive to cigarettes, you can walk in the other direction when you see a cloud of smoke or someone holding a cigarette on the street.

With fragrance, it’s hard to identify where it might be coming from until it’s too late. Some fragrance products are designed to be slow release, so people wearing them continue to emit a “bubble” of toxins for hours to come.

Plus, they’re in everything, so they’re difficult to avoid. Products that typically contain “fragrance” chemicals include:

Lotion
Hairspray
Shampoo
Conditioner
Deodorant
Aftershave
Hand Soap
Body Soap
Mouthwash
Dental floss
Toothpaste
Cosmetics
Nail polish and removers
Sunscreen
Diapers
Powder
Laundry detergents
Fabric softener
Dishsoap
Air freshener
Potpourri
Candle
Household cleaners

“When ignorance is replaced with knowledge, a large segment of the population will respond with a demand for clean and safe air in the workplace,” Devader and Barker write.

The paradigm shift is already beginning, they say, as an increasing number of clinics, schools, public buildings, buses and workplaces have declared their institutions “fragrance-free.”

After many of the public and private organizations in Nova Scotia went fragrance-free, perfume sales dropped over 30 percent.

Fragrances cost employers billions of dollars a year in lost productivity, sick time and lawsuits, the researchers note.

Until laws are passed, they recommend business owners posts signs in bathrooms and around buildings requesting employees not wear fragrances to work.

Concerned consumers should look for products labeled “fragrance-free” or that simply don’t list “fragrance” on the ingredients list, as products labeled “unscented” can still contain artificial fragrances used to mask the smell of other noxious chemicals.

As for household cleaners, baking soda and vinegar work better than just about any product on the market, are cheaper and non-toxic.

Fragrance was a constant fight between my wife and I. She'd buy a different brand of the same fragrance and couldn't figure out why I was irritated. Fragrance triggers my asthma and I really tend to prefer breathing. After repeated choking episodes I tend to get down right rude about it. You are not alone with fragrance problems. I'll roll down the car window or leave a room to avoid or reduce odors.

I have left rooms as well from fragrances. The most recent episode what when I was in line at the post office. Someone walked in and immediately I had a headache. I told the person behind me that I had to get out of line because of the fragrance, but I would go stand at a distance and when it was my turn, would go to the counter.

I have often thought about having a card or something that could be given to people to let them know that it is a real health concern. There is really nothing attractive about it at all.

I do fragrance free for husband's breathing, always have. Essential oils lightly used as perfume don't bother him as long as it's not lavender or put on before a closed car ride. I guess I use essential oils as perfume.
Commercial perfumes smell like chemicals to me. Yuck.
Husband also never walks down a detergent aisle.

It would help to NOT take a bath in the fragrance.

That would help. I'm sensitive enough that just smelling shampoos sets me off. I have to take 4 benadryl before washing my hair. Many of them will make me break out in hives.

We clean in our home with vinegar, bicarb, dishwashing liquid ammonia and methylated spirits as I am sensitive to things like exit mould, hairsprays, strong perfumes (Chanel) and the list goes on. They make me turn blue and stop breathing so yes I would say I am chemically sensitive and also break out in hives with any highly fragranced soaps etc.

There are some nice perfumes out there made of essential oils that are nice such as Ombre Rose that I can wear but so far that is the only 1 I can use. It is expensive as are all the ones made from essential oils but this one is very mild smelling and doesn't cause you to gag at the smell of it.

It's the ban idea I'm not a fan of. There are a lot of people sensitive to a lot of things. Many people are anaphylactic to bee stings. Ban the bees! We've all made it this long without a ban. I think we'll make it a little longer.

There are stores my mom liked as a kid I just couldn't go in. However, the last thing we need is another ban on something. I just publicly mock people who wear too much obnoxious crap.

I don't advocate a ban. I just avoid those people and places that are a problem for me.

I enjoy a light clean fragrance, but I always abide by any visitors that may be here and turn anything like that off if it is bothersome. My kids included. If I know someone is coming that has problems, I won’t even have a fragrance going. I never wear perfume to work esp. if I’m around patients.

I've had problems with many shampoos and soaps. This is one of my go to shampoos for my dandruff. I also use it as a body wash though you can get it as a soap or body wash.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/grandpas-pine-tar-liquid-shampoo-8-oz-bottle/

We use to use ' Grovers Mange Medicine Shampoo' it was fro healthy scalp and got rid of dandruff too. It too was tar based.
My aunt used olive oil and we used corn meal to dry the oil out if in a hurry to de-oil.

Most parfume's irritate me. There is one many nurses use to use by Este Lauder i still use sometimes.

It's the ban idea I'm not a fan of. There are a lot of people sensitive to a lot of things. Many people are anaphylactic to bee stings. Ban the bees! We've all made it this long without a ban. I think we'll make it a little longer.
I don't think a ban will ever happen. Personally, I think it is important to raise awareness, although for some people, that would mean they would use more. BTW, I know a man who is highly sensitive to odors and fragrances, to the point, that he cannot drive. It causes him to pass out. Cigarette smoke has that affect on him as well.

I don't think a ban will ever happen. Personally, I think it is important to raise awareness, although for some people, that would mean they would use more. BTW, I know a man who is highly sensitive to odors and fragrances, to the point, that he cannot drive. It causes him to pass out. Cigarette smoke has that affect on him as well.

Most are just expensive chemicals like most thing today.

Latest posts

Back