Free gas on property

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutshell

Friend
Neighbor
So the property I'm moving to has free gas. I plan on taking full advantage of it and have been thinking about different ways to do so. To heat and cook on are two obvious uses but what else. A few gas lights maybe, outside lamp posts. A small heater in a greenhouse would be a big advantage.
I'm curious how y'all would use it and why? This is in north central WV if that matters any. Thanks

So the property I'm moving to has free gas. I plan on taking full advantage of it and have been thinking about different ways to do so. To heat and cook on are two obvious uses but what else. A few gas lights maybe, outside lamp posts. A small heater in a greenhouse would be a big advantage.
I'm curious how y'all would use it and why? This is in north central WV if that matters any. Thanks
Cooking and water heater. Heat too.

Contact the gas company and see what appliances can be used. A clothes dryer, and outdoor barbeque grill? The gas company should be able to tell you what is available.

I would check too to see if there are limits on the volume of gas that you can use each month... Free gas is great but if you are limited, you don't want to plan on using too much....

I would also check on the quality of the gas, sometimes well gas has stuff in it that can hurt your equipment....

We are lucky enough to live in the forest on our 40 acres and have natural gas service. (Of course, we are not lucky enough to have free gas.) Our stove/oven, clothes dryer, hot water heater, furnace, and water heater all use natural gas. Someday, we may have our wood-burning fireplace converted to natural gas, too.

It is my understanding, that gas from an oil well can be dirty and moist, so make sure that you treat it before you use it any appliances. If you don't, the burners may corrode rather quickly.

There are a few wells and a storage field under the property, unlimited free gas was negotiated long before I was a thought.
I didn't know gas could be dirty. I will have to check into that for sure.
I had not thought about an outdoor grill! Does anyone have experience with a gas refrigerator?

Gas refrigerators work great but you will pay up front as they are not cheap. A friend of mine bought two gas fridges, broke the stop on the temperature dial on one and used it for a freezer. I don't know if that is possible with what is available to you.

I'd be really cautious about using gas lights. If the light goes out you could turn your house into a bomb. Things like water heaters are vented, lights are not. You could build up CO (carbon monoxide). No m matter what I'd put a couple of CLO detectors around the house with so much gas burning.

If it had the pressure to fill a tank that would really open up the possibilities. I'd run a tractor on it for sure. I like the generator idea.
You would need a special compressor to get the pressure up to what you need for tractors or any vehicle that runs on CNG.

If you go with a generator make sure it is rated for continuous operation.

Standby generators are not rated for continuous operation.

Ben
That's where the older generators that ran below 2,000 rpm's were so good, when you have a 3,600 rpm generator, they eventually vibrate themselves apart, I've seen a lot of them blowing oil all over themselves.

That's where the older generators that ran below 2,000 rpm's were so good, when you have a 3,600 rpm generator, they eventually vibrate themselves apart, I've seen a lot of them blowing oil all over themselves.
I had my eye on a Generac for my place since we in frackland and some compressor station are run using natural gas. So downloaded the owners manual when I learned that factoid.

Ben

All the ways to decrease the amount of energy you use in your home is great. How about a nice BBQ pit n campfire ring. Tiki lights. Fuel for a bug killer .
I wonder if a supply line could hook up to a refrigeration compressor used by service tech to fill refer systems. And used to fill propane bottles with the natural gas. And do they make regulators for NG ? Like goes on a propane bottle.
Or can a propane regulator be used and use the jet in the for natural gas in the appliance ?

Some great suggestions and things to consider. thanks. To start I will have a couple heaters, a stove/oven, instant hot water heater and outdoor bbq. I will have electricity so I don't need gas everything but down the road definitely a generator and refrigerator, maybe a few outdoor lamp posts. Peace

Latest posts

Back