Freeze Drying

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@angie_nrs You are welcome. I can only speak from my own experience and pass on what I've been learning along the way. Had I not joined MeWe looking for help I wouldn't know how common the issues are. I also wouldn't have know it wasn't just me who thinks the customer service is junk. More so lack of knowledge with custom service and lack of help and customer service from the tech department. I intend to get rid of MeWe at some point but for now its helping get answers for the machine, how it works and what issues are going on so I have an idea of how to fix things.
I find it interesting that they are having vacuum issues and most are leaking in the same spots. Why would "you" continue to ship out units that aren't fixed for these issues BEFORE they leave the manufacturer. Is it because its easier to have the customer fix it when it becomes an issue? The fix is a bit of epoxy on a wiring harness. I don't get it.
Because of the customer service alone I wish I hadn't purchased my unit. I get they are shipping more than they expected due to the "pandemic". That doesn't make their service ok. Ship less a month with a longer wait and focus on the product and the customer service in my opinion. It's a huge expense. I get they say 1% (or less) have issues and unfortunately we are one of the 1%. Had their customer service been worth a darn it wouldn't be that big of an issue. Being as they are the only seller of home use machines that gives them the edge to be lacking in my opinion.
I did put a lot away (from the freezer) of our own garden from last year, meats etc once the unit arrived. Knowing where our food comes from is very important to us. However its been a huge learning curve. More because they are not up front on all the ins and outs of the unit. Some of the important information doesn't get sent until AFTER the unit is purchased or at all.
Each machines running time will vary depending on temperature in the room, humidity (we don't have much here) and what you're running in the load. That's why there is no set list of times for things. What the time ends up being here will be different for someone with cooler temps or humidity. It is a sensitive machine that needs to run in certain temps. That was a surprise and tends to be an issue for us for running loads. Either too hot out or too cold out for it to be happy. Especially with most loads being 20+ hours that means the temps have to be right for that amount of time. If we had a dedicated room in our house it might be a bit easier but we don't.
If your unit runs out of warranty they will still repair it (so they say) but it's at your expense. Would be nice if there was facilities that could repair the units (like refrigerator techs or something) without having it going back to the manufacturer.

I have no updates yet on our parts. Just know they haven't even shipped yet.

do we know where the leak usually is?

myself and 3 other friends love our machines. Actually my one friend became a dealer. I have had 2 issues. the first one I kept getting an inadequate vacuum error. Called they had me dl new software, do a few tests. It is fixed but I cant remember what or why. Then my pump went about a month ago. I purchased another one. I just have the standard pump.
it is a learning curve, there is a sweet spot As to how full the oil should be. Dont over fill your trays or it will take lots longer.
if you are in a high humid area, it is best to keep a fan on the pump. I have my unit in the basement that is not heated.

Where for the wiring harness? I haven't really looked at mine.
Inside the cover of the machine.
56DE2140-0927-43D7-B6C6-8302389FA132.jpeg This is a photo of someone else’s that had the leak. I believe they had to add silicone on top where the wires go in.

Final update on this machine. Second set of new parts faulty. Sent a screen and board in a lightly padded envelope to add to it.
I encourage anyone looking into these machines to look up BBB and read complaints before making a decision. It seems to be one of the only ways to get your machine fixed is filing a complaint. I will also be filing one at this point. Almost impossible to get responses from the company and continuing to send faulty parts after a fight to get help. I am reading other places many people looking into attorneys.

Final update on this machine. Second set of new parts faulty. Sent a screen and board in a lightly padded envelope to add to it.
I encourage anyone looking into these machines to look up BBB and read complaints before making a decision. It seems to be one of the only ways to get your machine fixed is filing a complaint. I will also be filing one at this point. Almost impossible to get responses from the company and continuing to send faulty parts after a fight to get help. I am reading other places many people looking into attorneys.
It has been a month since the last update.

What is the current state of your freeze dryer ?

Ben

OK, no pics, sorry. Not talented in that way. So we have the Premier Unit. So far: apple slices, bananas, strawberries, cottage cheese, hamburger and turkey burger patties. Husband had a rehydrated turkey burger patty for lunch and said it was excellent. Worth doing. I saw the price of buying a #10 can of freeze dried hamburger patties, and OMG. Ours were good and seasoned how I like, and made with extra lean hamburger from a cow that I met. I bought 4 whole chickens yesterday, cooked them, stripped the meat. Also bought 5 boxes of Rice a Roni (49 cents a box salvage store), will mix the shredded chicken and rice and do that together next.

OK, no pics, sorry. Not talented in that way. So we have the Premier Unit. So far: apple slices, bananas, strawberries, cottage cheese, hamburger and turkey burger patties. Husband had a rehydrated turkey burger patty for lunch and said it was excellent. Worth doing. I saw the price of buying a #10 can of freeze dried hamburger patties, and OMG. Ours were good and seasoned how I like, and made with extra lean hamburger from a cow that I met. I bought 4 whole chickens yesterday, cooked them, stripped the meat. Also bought 5 boxes of Rice a Roni (49 cents a box salvage store), will mix the shredded chicken and rice and do that together next.
What amount of water did you use to rehydrate your turkey burgers? And how big were they?? I have not gotten into doing meat products yet. Only veggies and fruits.

I made the patties a pretty good size, like a McDonald's burger sized around, but thicker. I got a bowl a little bit bigger than the patty, like a cereal bowl, and put in an inch of hot water. Put it in for a few minutes, turned it over, waited a few more minutes. Dumped a little bit of water out that it didn't soak up. It was ready to eat. I was impressed.
I have dehydrated for years and years, and run two Excaliburs regularly, and have so many fruits and vegetables done. I'm interested in the freeze dryer for meats, cheeses, stuff that I can't do well in the dehydrator. And ready to go meals. So right now it's loaded with trays of chicken and fried rice. I'm guessing I'll get about 4 quarts of it when it's done. I'm picking up a bushel of beets from my neighbor who sells, tomorrow, and I'll cook and slice those and freeze dry them. A good deal at $20 a bushel. Husband and grandson are beet fanatics, and he does not like them pickled, just boiled. And he doesn't like beet chips. I saw a youtube where someone was freeze drying raw hamburger patties with a piece of cheese on each, but I don't want to do raw meat in there, would rather cook it first. I did good sized chunks of cooked chicken in with the fried rice today, and still have two other cooked chickens to freeze dry. This is a money saver...seeing that Aldi's can of cooked chicken is over $3 a can now.

Latest posts

Back