Freeze Drying

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've been looking in to buying a Harvest Right freeze dryer. But I don't think it will work out for us because of the power draw, at least in the winter. We generate much more power (solar) in the summer that it would probably work. Even then it would cause the generator to come on after dark. So for us it may not be feasible.

My freeze dryer came in a few weeks ago. Just started using it this week.
You are going to love it, we have had ours for a couple months now. I can’t wait for the garden to start producing excess but as for now I have been freeze drying frozen veggies and broccoli, apples, strawberries and have done around 20 lbs of ground beef .
the main thing I have found with freeze drying is it’s hard to keep from snacking on it when it’s done, sweet corn and green bean are my favorite as a snack.

You are going to love it, we have had ours for a couple months now. I can’t wait for the garden to start producing excess but as for now I have been freeze drying frozen veggies and broccoli, apples, strawberries and have done around 20 lbs of ground beef .
the main thing I have found with freeze drying is it’s hard to keep from snacking on it when it’s done, sweet corn and green bean are my favorite as a snack.

I've been doing veggies from the freezer, tomato sauce, eggs, cheese and just got done with 8lbs of hamburger

Just wait till you start doing fruits. Watermelon and strawberries are my favorites.

Water test on the unit shows it does have short ice developing but it’s not “bad enough” yet for them to want to do anything about it. So will continue using it till it gets to the point that it needs to go in. Definitely before it’s warranty is up. For now taking advantage of the decent temps and getting loads done.
4 trays of pasta “pucks” in now. Going to make “cup of noodles” and spaghetti with meat sauce jars to put up. Running low on pasta pucks anyways. Sure are nice for our canned soups when we want noodles added.
More dog treats and raw scrambled eggs freezing. Going to be more than stocked on dog treats but have cleaned out a lot of freezer space in prep for the huge beef coming.

F394BBC9-6136-43FF-9B0B-2DC5E9A898D9.jpeg
3 quart jars of freeze dried smoker chicken. Needed to make freezer space.

My standard pump took a crap. Got another one in about 2 weeks. I am up and running again. The pump was out of warranty, so we didnt bother calling for a ticket. Hubby tried a knock off pump, turned it on to do a vacuum test and the top part popped off the pump, lol. So that didnt work

I'd bet specs are close to the same. Likely just a better quality pump.

If anyone has the standard pump, send me a pic of the specs on it and I'll compare them.
Brand names would help too

We've been looking in to buying a Harvest Right freeze dryer. But I don't think it will work out for us because of the power draw, at least in the winter. We generate much more power (solar) in the summer that it would probably work. Even then it would cause the generator to come on after dark. So for us it may not be feasible.
We are too, and this is what has deterred me, is the power draw. I'm hoping the addition of a wind turbine will help on those days (like today) where there is no sunshine.

Right now we are in the process of going solar, but will still connected to the electric lines. We would rather go back to eclectic verses our house generator. We would rather that the last result. But yes, I feel like our freeze dryer may drain out a lot of energy that we get from the sun. The only good thing about the electric company is what "energy" that we do generate and have overages, goes to them and gives us a credit.

Right now we are in the process of going solar, but will still connected to the electric lines. We would rather go back to eclectic verses our house generator. We would rather that the last result. But yes, I feel like our freeze dryer may drain out a lot of energy that we get from the sun. The only good thing about the electric company is what "energy" that we do generate and have overages, goes to them and gives us a credit.
That's good. We won't have the option to connect to the grid, unless we want to pay over 100k to pull power back to the build site. Then pay monthly? No thanks! lol

That's good. We won't have the option to connect to the grid, unless we want to pay over 100k to pull power back to the build site. Then pay monthly? No thanks! lol
That $100k base line gives you a world of options

I would be talking to Engineer775.

When I am ready I am planning to fly him in on my projects.

Ben

Back