Freeze Drying

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That $100k base line gives you a world of options

I would be talking to Engineer775.

When I am ready I am planning to fly him in on my projects.

Ben
Thanks for the link- I’ll have DH check it out.

Reactions: Neb
Water test on the unit shows it does have short ice developing but it’s not “bad enough” yet for them to want to do anything about it. So will continue using it till it gets to the point that it needs to go in. Definitely before it’s warranty is up. For now taking advantage of the decent temps and getting loads done.
4 trays of pasta “pucks” in now. Going to make “cup of noodles” and spaghetti with meat sauce jars to put up. Running low on pasta pucks anyways. Sure are nice for our canned soups when we want noodles added.
More dog treats and raw scrambled eggs freezing. Going to be more than stocked on dog treats but have cleaned out a lot of freezer space in prep for the huge beef coming.

What is a pasta puck? Can't wait to get home (Yea! More jet lag!) And get back to work.

What is a pasta puck? Can't wait to get home (Yea! More jet lag!) And get back to work.
I have a silicone mold (usually used for soap) that is the right size for wide mouth jars. So I pre freeze pasta in the mold and once done I can drop them in wide mouth jars for ready made meals (like jar of noodle soup) in a jar or a serving of pasta. Far better to store in jars vs Mylar for me. The spaghetti pasta pokes holes fairly easily in Mylar for me

Thanks!! What normally goes wrong with them, do you know?
I don’t know the details on what goes wrong with them. It’s one of the lesser complaints. Mostly I hear about machine complaints. Mine is having screen issues again so I’ll be dealing with them once again. May address the ice issue at the same time. Haven’t had the best experiences with their customer service. They are generally nice but not knowledgeable at all.

I don’t know the details on what goes wrong with them. It’s one of the lesser complaints. Mostly I hear about machine complaints. Mine is having screen issues again so I’ll be dealing with them once again. May address the ice issue at the same time. Haven’t had the best experiences with their customer service. They are generally nice but not knowledgeable at all.
Thank you for sharing your experience because The Princess may follow in your path and be looking to me to fix it. :confused2:

Ben

Thank you for sharing your experience because The Princess may follow in your path and be looking to me to fix it. :confused2:

Ben
I am very torn on the entire experience. I am happy with the outcome of what we freeze dry but definitely not in the machine itself and the lack of knowledgeable customer service. Especially for the cost. Seems a lot of machines continue to be going back for the same issues. You WILL have to do a lot of your own work on it with harvest right monitoring. They try not to have them shipped back under warranty.
I 100% believe they didn’t expect the boom in sales (from the pandemic “panic”) and don’t had competition so they haven’t truly focused on quality and customer service agents having a clue as to what they are doing. I think I posted before in this thread that it took days and multiple calls just to get the proper current software update via email. If they can’t even manage that imagine if there’s a real issue. Expect a minimum of 6-8 week’s minimum if it goes back to HR. That’s after not getting returned calls and the run around by the customer support. Then trying their fixes and tests before they make a decision to take it back for repairs. All ticking away at the warranty.
I don’t tell anyone NOT to get one but I want others to be aware of things before they make a decision as I’ve had to learn the hard way. Especially not having social media there’s been a HUGE learning curve. There’s a lot that voids the warranty that you have to be aware of but they don’t seem to make that easy to find.
Just my current feelings. Hope it helps

Have you done any updates?
when you call, not sure you can...but ask for Scott. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
My friend has become a dealer for HR. She recommends everyone to have an extra valve that lets the pressure out of the tank. She has seen this is one of the first items to not hold up.

Thanks. Yes I have. It took 3 calls and multiple days to get the current update. They don’t tell you when an update is out unless you have a problem. For the first round of screen problems they sent me an old update. Then sent me the update that wasn’t the newest which was what was on my machine THEN after buying 2 different new thumb drives and being told that was the problem another rep finally sent me the correct update. Now dealing with the same screen issue once again.
When I called for machine answers when we first got it we got zero answers from the representative. I will try and ask for Scott but I’m sure they will want a last name. They have people all over the place. I’ve even had reps working from home who couldn’t answer questions until they got back into work the following week.
There’s problems with the valve. There problems with silicone inside the machine causing leaks. Theres problems with short ice. There’s quite a few issues that are “common” on them unfortunately.

Thanks. Yes I have. It took 3 calls and multiple days to get the current update. They don’t tell you when an update is out unless you have a problem. For the first round of screen problems they sent me an old update. Then sent me the update that wasn’t the newest which was what was on my machine THEN after buying 2 different new thumb drives and being told that was the problem another rep finally sent me the correct update. Now dealing with the same screen issue once again.
When I called for machine answers when we first got it we got zero answers from the representative. I will try and ask for Scott but I’m sure they will want a last name. They have people all over the place. I’ve even had reps working from home who couldn’t answer questions until they got back into work the following week.
There’s problems with the valve. There problems with silicone inside the machine causing leaks. Theres problems with short ice. There’s quite a few issues that are “common” on them unfortunately.
It is crazy. Some people dont ever have an issue. Others, its non stop. And the time it takes me to fd a product, my friend with hers takes more or less time. Weird. But over all I am happy with it and dont regret my purchase.

It is crazy. Some people dont ever have an issue. Others, its non stop. And the time it takes me to fd a product, my friend with hers takes more or less time. Weird. But over all I am happy with it and dont regret my purchase.
I find that by running an extra box fan blowing into the left side of the freeze drier it reduces my dry time, I also use a small clamp fan blowing across the vac pump to help keep it cool to increase its life. I too have noticed that on warmer or humid day it takes a lot more extra dry time.

I have a big fan running on the side of the dryer and the pump as well. I can't say its shortened dry times or anything but it does keep the heat down for sure.

Update on my dryer.
I contacted harvest right due to the continued problems with turning on the machine and the screen not coming on properly. They responded back to my email ticket rather quickly. No one was answering the phones and leaving a message doesn't seem to get you a call back.
They asked for log files to look at what could be causing the shorter ice and gave me some things to do to the screen to see if it helps. Now instead of not having the machine come on randomly now my touch screen is unusable. So now when I touch add more dry time it shuts the load off. When I try and defrost it cancels the current load as if I said no defrost. I tried recalibrating the screen again with no luck. Sent a response back stating the new issues. We'll see what they say. Looks like my machine will be down for some time now. Will update as it goes along if anyone wants.

Last edited:
Machine update: After no communication back via the “ticket” I got a call from the tech when the scheduled call was time two days ago. She had not reviewed ANY of what was sent over or requested last week nor did she know there was 2 issues including the fact that now my machine is unusable due to doing the screen things that I was told to do by one of the several techs who wrote on the ticket. Seems so odd multiple people message but you’re assigned one person yet that person doesn’t even read the issues or what has been done.
So we covered all of it from the initial screen issues to now what’s going on since the “try this” message was sent. Nor was she aware of the pictures and statement about the short ice concerns. To be clear I can see the files and pictures on the ticket myself. So they are there for them to see.
She said she would send a new screen but then decided not to until the short Ice information was reviewed by her manager who was gone at 3:15pm her time. She said she would get back to me the next day (or that afternoon if her manager was still there) but there was no call yesterday, no email and so far today (now 3pm their time). I emailed her direct yesterday and no response to that either.
Not happy considering I could still use our machine while all this was being handled yet multiple people who clearly don’t read the complain or prior complaints (I stated in the initial ticket it’s an ongoing problem they had been contacted about prior) and now we can not use it and it’s down for who knows how long.
She stated they will review the short ice and if it’s not a “problem” they would send a screen for us to install. If short ice was an issue (I guarantee it is or almost there) that the whole machine and pump will be sent back. At least 6-8 weeks down just for that.

Machine update: After no communication back via the “ticket” I got a call from the tech when the scheduled call was time two days ago. She had not reviewed ANY of what was sent over or requested last week nor did she know there was 2 issues including the fact that now my machine is unusable due to doing the screen things that I was told to do by one of the several techs who wrote on the ticket. Seems so odd multiple people message but you’re assigned one person yet that person doesn’t even read the issues or what has been done.
So we covered all of it from the initial screen issues to now what’s going on since the “try this” message was sent. Nor was she aware of the pictures and statement about the short ice concerns. To be clear I can see the files and pictures on the ticket myself. So they are there for them to see.
She said she would send a new screen but then decided not to until the short Ice information was reviewed by her manager who was gone at 3:15pm her time. She said she would get back to me the next day (or that afternoon if her manager was still there) but there was no call yesterday, no email and so far today (now 3pm their time). I emailed her direct yesterday and no response to that either.
Not happy considering I could still use our machine while all this was being handled yet multiple people who clearly don’t read the complain or prior complaints (I stated in the initial ticket it’s an ongoing problem they had been contacted about prior) and now we can not use it and it’s down for who knows how long.
She stated they will review the short ice and if it’s not a “problem” they would send a screen for us to install. If short ice was an issue (I guarantee it is or almost there) that the whole machine and pump will be sent back. At least 6-8 weeks down just for that.
Thanks for the update.

Q
What exactly is "short ice"?

I will not repeat my suggestions about handling poor customer support but will summarize;

Take notes on ID of person you talk to...
Times an dates...
Ask for contact info for their supervisors...
When you have to wait ask how long and when it will be reasonable to expect an update.

Generally speaking...

A person's name is powerful tool. People act differently when they know you know who they are.

Ben

Short ice is where the ice is creeping back in the machine. They count ice rings when you do the water test. Unfortunately this is flawed in my opinion. My ice went from an inch or so from the front to the back. It was consistently thick throughout the machine with a bit more towards the bottom hence the tray guards I added. Now it’s several inches back from the front and not even close to “even” through the machine.

Update: I called a bit ago and spoke with another tech. He took my concerns “seriously” and admitted that they had such a rush on units they can’t keep up. No kidding. 🙄 So just keep selling them and getting them in feed stores etc and the heck with the people who already got them. Certainly find it hard to believe they focus on quality control at this point. That’s for sure. No need to keep their machines running and have good customer service for those who have already paid for the units. (My personal feelings. Ok rant over)
This gentleman said he would speak with his supervisor and call me back in 15-20 min which he did. I was shocked. Unfortunately there was nothing they could do other than bring it up with the tech I was assigned.
Minutes later my tech called with an update.
She said that I have enough rings so they won’t take care of it. I explained once again that I am seeing a decrease in the dry times and performance and that the amount of rings being seen in the water test is DRAMATICALLY less than when the unit was brand new. She’s going to “discuss” this with her supervisor and get back to me tomorrow. Their take is this problem has a 3 year warranty so why deal with it now until it’s worse I guess. Seems like that’s a bad way to handle it. Especially with harvest coming quick and I’m clearly seeing a decrease in performance and ice build up.

I should add that from my reading (can’t confirm for myself) short Ice is a result of a loss of (I’m guessing) Freon (sp?)
Time to start pressuring to send it back under warranty yet ?

Ben

Time to start pressuring to send it back under warranty yet ?

Ben

I have been. They aren’t willing because it’s still under the “acceptable” amount of rings still. They don’t seem to care it’s getting worse over time. They want to wait until it’s completely useless. In my personal opinion ticking that warranty timeline down to save themselves money. I am reading countless people online saying the same thing once I started looking into it.

I have been. They aren’t willing because it’s still under the “acceptable” amount of rings still. They don’t seem to care it’s getting worse over time. They want to wait until it’s completely useless. In my personal opinion ticking that warranty timeline down to save themselves money. I am reading countless people online saying the same thing once I started looking into it.
I am getting mad just reading your reports.

Check out your

https://www.usa.gov/state-consumer
Consumer protection agency and let Harvest know they can not run out the clock. Make a video of the issues and post to Youtube to be used as proof the problem occured prior to the warranty expired.

Speaking for myself...

I had planned to get one for The Princess but until I hear a good result from you... I don't think so.

Ben

Thank you. I’ll look into that.
I wish I could say better things but I want to be completely honest. I did a LOT of research for a long time before finally ordering one. Unfortunately without having social media I didn’t know about all the issues. I joined MeWe to get ideas on freeze drying and that’s where I’m learning there are a lot of problems and most everyone is complaining the same complaints about them not being good on customer service at all. Watching multiple youtubers was all I had to go on originally. Shame on me for not realizing that the affiliate links they all have were a sign they won’t be honest. All the freebies Harvest Right sends them should have been a clue too. Live and learn I guess. Just a VERY expensive (in my opinion) mistake. I am happy with the freeze dried products themselves but otherwise I absolutely can not recommend the unit without being completely upfront about what I’m dealing with.
I can not prove they are running the clock on the warranty but that’s sure how it seems to me personally. Don’t take care of a clear issue until they have no choice. I’m sure it’s expensive for them to ship back units but maybe a better focus on quality control would be a better investment long term.

Thank you. I’ll look into that.
I wish I could say better things but I want to be completely honest. I did a LOT of research for a long time before finally ordering one. Unfortunately without having social media I didn’t know about all the issues. I joined MeWe to get ideas on freeze drying and that’s where I’m learning there are a lot of problems and most everyone is complaining the same complaints about them not being good on customer service at all. Watching multiple youtubers was all I had to go on originally. Shame on me for not realizing that the affiliate links they all have were a sign they won’t be honest. All the freebies Harvest Right sends them should have been a clue too. Live and learn I guess. Just a VERY expensive (in my opinion) mistake. I am happy with the freeze dried products themselves but otherwise I absolutely can not recommend the unit without being completely upfront about what I’m dealing with.
I can not prove they are running the clock on the warranty but that’s sure how it seems to me personally. Don’t take care of a clear issue until they have no choice. I’m sure it’s expensive for them to ship back units but maybe a better focus on quality control would be a better investment long term.
Document your experience and send it as a registered letter to them and yourself. Do not open the one to yourself as evidence. Registered letters get attention.

Follow up on the consumer protection.

Ben

How long have you had your machine? Have you looked up any results that worked for others?
i would use it like a maniac. Maybe it will break faster 😂

Reactions: Neb
Since October of last year. The only thing that can be done about short ice is to go back to the factory for repair. What they are saying is it isn’t “bad enough” yet to warrant them repairing it. Even though I’m noticing performance issues and ice changing with same loads hence doing the water test and sending in the results. I have just shy of 100 loads on my machine. It’s run non stop excpet when it’s not in the temperature ranges these dainty bricks need to have to perform in. Something they don’t tell you until you order it btw.

Friday update: Waited until it was 3:30ish pm their time and called since once again I hadn’t had contact today. Left a message with another nice customer service agent.
Got a call back from the service tech. They aren’t willing to fix the Freon leak until I have 8 rings or less. Meaning 2 more rings and then they will allegedly ship it back and fix it. But good news 🙄 I have 2 1/2 more years for that to be covered under warranty. Even though there is clear evidence there’s a leaks.
They are shipping a new screen and motherboard within the next week or so and sent an email with a video on how to do the work ourselves.
So machine will be down somewhere around 2 more weeks or so and we have to wait for it to have even worse performance issues before it’s taken care of. Wonder if it will make it through harvest this year.
They claimed once again that they ship out well over 1000 units a week and they only have 1% “actually less” that have issues. As I told the tech the customer support is more of an issue than the unit itself at this point. If there’s an issue and it’s take care of in a timely manner with little headache to the customer there would be far less bad things being said about Harvest right. Not like it’s a couple hundred dollar unit.
Will update when the screen etc come in if y’all want me too. Not sure if everyone wants to follow the drama all the sudden through. Let me know.

Friday update: Waited until it was 3:30ish pm their time and called since once again I hadn’t had contact today. Left a message with another nice customer service agent.
Got a call back from the service tech. They aren’t willing to fix the Freon leak until I have 8 rings or less. Meaning 2 more rings and then they will allegedly ship it back and fix it. But good news 🙄 I have 2 1/2 more years for that to be covered under warranty. Even though there is clear evidence there’s a leaks.
They are shipping a new screen and motherboard within the next week or so and sent an email with a video on how to do the work ourselves.
So machine will be down somewhere around 2 more weeks or so and we have to wait for it to have even worse performance issues before it’s taken care of. Wonder if it will make it through harvest this year.
They claimed once again that they ship out well over 1000 units a week and they only have 1% “actually less” that have issues. As I told the tech the customer support is more of an issue than the unit itself at this point. If there’s an issue and it’s take care of in a timely manner with little headache to the customer there would be far less bad things being said about Harvest right. Not like it’s a couple hundred dollar unit.
Will update when the screen etc come in if y’all want me too. Not sure if everyone wants to follow the drama all the sudden through. Let me know.
Count me in pleasr.

Ben

I just read through this whole post after considering buying one of these that I saw in a different video. Thanks Double R for all the updates. I know nothing about freeze drying except for the couple of hours I have looked at tonight on this and other places. With all of the issues you are having, it's probably not for me. I really do want one, but I'm so busy with other stuff that I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it and it looks like a lot of baby-sitting.

The appealing aspects for me would be to freeze dry a meal ready to go and to be able to freeze dry goodies out of the garden......so that I know where my food is coming from. I mean, sure.....I could just spend that $3K on freeze dried food, but where'd it come from? I also really like the idea of freeze drying eggs, cheese, and milk which is something you can't dehydrate or can.

I'm curious as to what temperature the unit has to be operating in? Is the humidity an issue as well?

You certainly put that thing to use as soon as you got it. Good for you! At least you know what your issues are and hopfully they'll do something about it. Mine might have not had as much activity and would still have been a lemon and I wouldn't have known about it until after the warranty was expired. That's what I'm afraid of. If it was a rock solid unit (with stellar customer service) and it had a life time warranty, I'd definitely be in.

It sounds like there's not much competition in this particular market. Are there any other companies making these types of units?

Please do keep updating us!

Latest posts

Back