"FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"-Thaw-"FREEZE"....Canned RED SALMON Test for quality

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So I put six cans of Red Salmon in the freezer for two days, thawed one can for a day, refroze it for two days, thawed it, refroze it for two days. Five more cans for a one month long (freeze/thaw) test of the resulting quality.

Zero change in the texture, as compared to other cans from the same case, eaten earlier. I did this because I have buried many cases of this Red Salmon in the last few weeks. I buried it in such a way I doubt it will freeze, but I wanted to know if it would come out as mush. I don't know if the salt water it is packed in is a factor, but I doubt that it is. I am ecstatic with the results.

So I put six cans of Red Salmon in the freezer for two days, thawed one can for a day, refroze it for two days, thawed it, refroze it for two days. Five more cans for a one month long (freeze/thaw) test of the resulting quality.

Zero change in the texture, as compared to other cans from the same case, eaten earlier. I did this because I have buried many cases of this Red Salmon in the last few weeks. I buried it in such a way I doubt it will freeze, but I wanted to know if it would come out as mush. I don't know if the salt water it is packed in is a factor, but I doubt that it is. I am ecstatic with the results.

The phase diagram

Phase-diagram-of-NaCl-H2O-solution-21-showing-the-reduction-in-freezing-temperature.png

Shows that the concentration of salt.

Do you expect temps below 21 C ?

Ben

Do you expect temps below 21 C ?

Ben
The "deep" temperatures here can be all over the range over a ten year or 50 years cycle. Some years it hardly ever freezes. I am on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. I am also just a few hundred yards from the Pacific Ocean, so it is just generally warmer here. (Vastly different then "Alaskajohn's" weather) .And different then where "Caribou" has been spending time.

Typical winter here where I am is night in the 20's above, and then low 30's above during the day. But I buried these cases about two feet deep, and put 20" of moss on top for insulation, as I wanted the option to extract them in January using no tools, only my hands. I am not the least concerned they could freeze. I will likely leave one case in the wood pile just to see what happens.

I would also be interested in how things freeze/thaw in plain water. The rust factor over time would also be good to know.

I am thinking, stashed in a lidded bucket with kitty litter in the bottom. Kitty litter kept my freezers from molding up while sitting on a flat bed for five months in all kinds of weather sealed in plastic wrap.

You may consider putting a piece of plywood or something to keep the rain n snow from getting water in the ground from above it. Keeping the dirt around it as dry as you can. I wonder if you put it in a bucket with a lid. Just spit balling here but thinking that keeping things in a dryer environment may help. It would be easier to get to with less water in the ground around it when it freezes. Is there any creeks around you that have a spot that stays open in the winter? You could use that as a stash. Put your stuff in a nylon bag n place it in the water that doesn't freeze .
And thanks for doing the test runs

It's been decades since I worked in the field of phase chemisty, but be aware that anything besides the "pure" salts and water shown in the diagram turn to an absolute guess in real life. Fats/oils, chain length distribution of the fats/oils and the assorted loose proteins/solids in there have the potential to completely invalidate a diagram.

If moisture is a problem then painting the cans is an option. A waterproof container with a desiccant is another option.

It's been decades since I worked in the field of phase chemisty, but be aware that anything besides the "pure" salts and water shown in the diagram turn to an absolute guess in real life. Fats/oils, chain length distribution of the fats/oils and the assorted loose proteins/solids in there have the potential to completely invalidate a diagram.
Hmmmm

Finding that trinary phase diagram will not be easy.

Ben

Hmmmm

Finding that trinary phase diagram will not be easy.

Ben
Nope, too hard to run the DOX to define the transitions. It took the PhD I ran the DSC trials for 24 months at 5 days a week to get a start on his binary phase diagram. Nobody would even venture an opinion on a multicomponent system.

I used to keep King Oscar sardines packed in olive oil in my one-room cabin. During the winter, the temps in the cabin could drop to -20ºF for a week or two. The sardines were fine, if anything, they may have been a bit mushier or softer in texture, but the can was not ruptured or bulged and the taste was the same as always.

Typical winter here where I am is night in the 20's above, and then low 30's above during the day. But I buried these cases about two feet deep, and put 20" of moss on top for insulation, as I wanted the option to extract them in January using no tools, only my hands.
WOW! Sea line is warmer, but 20's at night & 30's in the day is the worse weather we have in zone 8a. We only get a few days like that, but never anything lower than 10F in sixty years. You could grow greens & carrots for a few months in late Fall & early Spring, if not though the whole Winter.

OOOoooop!

Nope, too hard to run the DOX to define the transitions. It took the PhD I ran the DSC trials for 24 months at 5 days a week to get a start on his binary phase diagram. Nobody would even venture an opinion on a multicomponent system.

Um I would. My opinion is that it turns mushy. Sometimes really mushy. After several years, really really mushy.

Packaged up another 96 cans to bury.

Latest posts

Back