"FREIGHTING" Backpack Frames...? HEAVY and/or HUGE loads.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So, to be crystal clear, this is not a "Trail Pack". So, now you're thinking what the sam-hell is it. Good question. Hauling 55 gallon steel drums for fuel/water/secure dry storage. Or hauling a massive load of dimension lumber, like 2" X 6"-eight or twelve foot long. A kitchen Stove, a Refrigerator, etc.

Most freighter frame backpacks are basically designed/intended for hauling heavy loads of meat or hides. Simply because that is the commercial market, and more importantly the market that has "painfully" learned nothing else works. Also the market that will pay $1,000.00 for a needed tool. All other backpack frames fall apart with not much use. An internal frame pack is totally useless for freighting huge and/or heavy loads. Think that not true, strap a refrigerator on your recreational trail internal frame pack.

Are they ideal for "bug'out" application ..?? The answer is not the freighter frame pack....."BUT YOU". The pack/super hip belt & super shoulder harness will freight three hundred pounds. Even if you can't the freighter frame is better for bugging out, for its indestructability and design systems.

Now the "PAINFUL" news, these type packs start at $800.00 and can go to several thousand dollars. Do you need this quality/level system to bug'out.....NO. But the concept (even if cheaper level) is still the best concept for a bug'out pack. You can get a freighter frame pack for around $200.00. If you're going to be on the run for months or years you will wish you had a higher-level freighter pack. Generally, the frame itself is durable enough. It is the hip belt and shoulder harness that lower end commercial marketers cheat on. Why, because in the store the belt and shoulder harness "FEEL" wonderful.

If anyone desires to ask questions, or rebuttal this information for-4-it. All freighter frame packs (in my opinion) will still need improved attachment system, but this is cheap. Heavy quality bungee cords also important, in addition to quality rope. And education and experience in how to load and secure the load. Desired features we can also discuss.

The "BARNEY'S FREIGHTER" is the standard and hugely most common Freighter Pack, used in the Alaska Big Game Guiding Industry. Yes, there are superior Freighter Frame Systems, but if you're a licensed guide, and you show up less than a BARNEY'S PACK. You will not be employed very long.
https://barneyssports.com/product-category/default-category/packs-bags/

Last edited:
So, to be crystal clear, this is not a "Trail Pack". So, now you're thinking what the sam-hell is it. Good question. Hauling 55 gallon steel drums for fuel/water/secure dry storage. Or hauling a massive load of dimension lumber, like 2" X 6"-eight or twelve foot long. A kitchen Stove, a Refrigerator, etc.
Please provide a photo of a filled 55-gallon drum, kitchen stove, or refrigerator mounted on a freighter backpack being carried by a single person. I am having a hard time imagining what the heck you're talking about.

I have tipped many a 55 gallon drum of gasoline, diesel, hydraulic oil, and engine oil from laying down to standing up. You're talking about weights north of 350#. A gal that I worked with could lift that much but I never could. I did pick up a freshly tapped keg once and carried it into the woods, by myself. If the cops hadn't shown up I would never have tried.

My "bug out" bag is internal frame and has been hauling over 85 LB loads for hundreds of miles backpacking in the mountains for over 15 years now and is in the same perfect condition that it was in when I bought it. Now, as to attaching a refrigerator to it or 12' lumber I'd have to say I never tried because that is about the least likely thing on the planet I could imagine trying to bug out or hike anywhere with. If I was planning to go moose hunting with 3 buddies I would suggest "hey lets get external frames since we will be hauling raw meat around that we cut up" vs. stuffing it into a bag that is intended to keep gear pulled close and tight to the body for extended hikes like an internal frame.

In 1979 when I was visiting my future MIL in Taiwan, she moved from one apartment 7 floors up to another apartment 11 floors up. There were no elevators in either building.

I watched a wizened, little old man load up a medium sized fridge on his back using only a forehead band with a head harness to carry the weight. His helpers then proceeded to tie a trunk of books on top of that. He went down 7 flights of stairs unaided. At the new building he went up 11 flights of stairs, also without help.

It was incredible to watch, although he was loaded up on beetle nut as well.

I'd post my opinion, but it has already been established I am not a serious "prepper" or "survivalist"

55 x 8.35 lbs gallon (Water, standard temperature and pressure) = 459.25 lbs + drum weight.

Just call me a "realist" who knows the limitations of his physical ability, family needs and location.

I'd post my opinion, but it has already been established I am not a serious "prepper" or "survivalist"

55 x 8.35 lbs gallon (Water, standard temperature and pressure) = 459.25 lbs + drum weight.

Just call me a "realist" who knows the limitations of his physical ability, family needs and location.
@Sourdough did not indicate the drums were full. Neither did he mention what size frig.

Ben

Still some valid points made here... technical rock climbers generally prefer packs with internal frame(s) or no frame at all, since they want the load in close to the body while ascending steeper terrain. Big wall climbers might wear a small summit pack while climbing and haul a heavier sack of gear & supplies up after each pitch (or dual pitch), using rope & pulleys for mechanical advantage (like block & tackle). For backpackers and those intent upon the masochistic hauling of heavy objects, a frame pack with nice comfy straps and hip belt can be a good option on ground that is more level. Moi, in my day of climbing crags, domes & spires under 500', I'd go "Alpine style" and lean toward faster ascents with lighter gear, but that style of climbing was perfectly-suited to what my friends (climbing partners) and I were attempting to do. I also learned early on to set up a well-stocked base camp and make faster hikes out and back carrying only the essentials. I humped enough heavy rucksacks in the Infantry to last a lifetime, so when I became a civilian again I chose to go "fast & light" in the field. This approach is not really feasible in larger wilderness areas where greater distances are traveled... and one has to haul everything along or go without, and "going without" is not an option conducive to survival. 😒

I hope it's okay to add this, but I do think most packs tap out at a certain weight. If it's not obvious by now, I tend to look at history. Something akin to a rickshaw would be the next step beyond a freight pack and transfers the energy needed to move the object. IE: I couldn't pack Hubby without some sort of miracle adrenaline rush, but I could pull him in a rickshaw (or a barrel etc.) I have packed meat as SD stated in a pack and can only pack about half my body weight for any length of time. I do understand there are other complications if using something like a rickshaw.
I don't have any source for "heavier duty" packs.
Just food for thought.

Don't hunters already have some wheeled contraptions for hauling out heavier game, or dressed game? I'd probably go that route to haul anything really heavy in the field, even if I had to make the wheeled rig myself. Something between a lightweight wheelbarrow and a handcart, lol... using aluminum for the frame and opting for lighter alloy rims. If I had a horse, I'd rig up a travois and let the horse do the work, lol... maybe add some wheels to the ends of the poles to make it easier on the horse. It wouldn't work in really rough terrain, but it'd work in a lot of areas... those Injuns sure dragged some heavy loads across country with the travois. 😒

1679004067938.png

This discussion reminds me of a story I once read about Dorothy Molter. For those of you who don't know who she is, Dorothy Molter,“the Root Beer Lady,” was the last resident of Minnesota’s Boundary Waters Canoe Area. She made a living by brewing the best homemade root beer and selling it to thirsty paddlers during the summer from her island home. The root beer was kept cold by lake ice harvested during the winter. I met Dorothy twice and sampled several bottles of her root beer during the late1960’s on canoe trips.

When we did canoe trips, we had two paddlers to a canoe. Each canoe carried two No. 4 Duluth Packs. One pack carried the personal gear for both paddlers. The other pack was a community pack. The community packs carried food, or tents, or cooking supplies, etc. At a portage, the one paddler would carry the canoe (17ft Grumman canoe) and the other paddler would carry both Duluth packs at the same time, one on his back (with a tumpline sling across his head) and the other pack on front. The objective was to cross the portage in one trip.

But, I digress. Below is the story I remember of Dorothy Molter from the book written by Jackpine Bob Cary. She was one tough broad.

Dorothy was returning on a solo trip long across many lakes. She had purchased her winter supplies on this trip. Approaching a portage, she noticed two young men (early 20s) that had finished the portage and were about to enter the lake. The men seeing Dorothy and her loaded canoe asked, “Hey, Granny do you need some help with the portage?”

Dorothy didn’t say a word. She threw one loaded Duluth pack on her back and another on her front – yes, carried two packs at once. She then, lifted her canoe and placed it on her shoulders. Finally, she bent over and picked up the small outboard motor she was allowed to use when travelling.

Dorothy hiked the entire portage like that without stopping. The two young men stood in disbelief and amazement watching this 60-something "Granny" make the portage.

Picture that two loaded Duluth packs, an aluminum canoe, and an outboard motor...all at once!

Last edited:
not packed a fraction of what sourdough in the least bit. but i tried to tell folks the advantage of having a shelf or foot or whatever correct term on a pack is. i even pointed out once to friends about packing firewood to camp vs. arm carrying it. they couldnt figure out it was easier and it give you both hands and arms to catch yourself or grab stuff to pull up with etc. while going back to camp.

and its been a very very long time since i done anything remotely like it and it might be beyond my abilities now. but i am going to give it a try again probably come fall time.

i have a high end pack i bought in 1990 thats still in fantastic shape as it stopped getting used in late 90's .its just been hanging on the wall.it was high dollar back then at $400..i think thats what i gave.its not a true hunting or freighting pack.it was only pack i knew of then that had a shelf on it.

some of these new high end hiking packs are pretty big money but they are flimsy as tissue paper. they made up of new space age materials.they weight in at couple pounds.these new 3 season tents weigh in at 1.5#.

i have a long ways to get to point i might try doing something..but i am working on it...pounding trail with my fat ass and pounding the pounds off.

this may be a use what ya got deal and just deal with it.

For the record at one point, I owned 46 backpacks , many given to me by hunters I guided over 38 years. So, I grasp the distinction between different style packs. I had hope there would be inquiries about "FREIGHTER FRAME PACKS". I have sold many of my packs, still own and use about 14 internal frame packs of every size and grasp their special application. I still have 7 or 8 designated freighter frame packs. I have a small Freighter frame pack I like, had it for decades, was made my "CAMP TRAILS" company. I have upgraded the hip belt and shoulder harness, installed "I"-Bolts for lashing, it is a sweet little pack.

Never saw a Freighter pack. Back in the day I would have liked having one of them at times. Sourdough is right, upgrading the suspension would be a must for heavy loads.
I've had several packs over the years, mostly external models. Kelty's were always my top choice. My first Kelty was a 90L model. The bag had a zip out divider about 2/3 of the way down, deep enough my wife could ride in the bottom and only be outside the bag from mid chest up. We always joked if she got sick I'd just load her up and carry her out. It also had 6 outside pockets. I carried it with 90+ lbs many times for long trips. Sometimes for a long weekend of feasting in the woods. I traded it for a upgraded Kelty that had a "radial" frame. It was much easier to carry, suspension was 10x better. But I didn't like the pack itself as well. It would handle 90+ as well. Still got that pack.
Later I got a couple of internal frame packs, one 80L and one 55L. They both carry ok, suspension is decent on both. But I never liked the way they carry nearly as well. Since I've gotten older my 90 lb+ days are way behind me, I've started looking for a 45-60L Osprey brand. They have a serious upgrade to the older suspension systems. That said, they would come no where near carrying the loads Sourdough mentioned.

I scrolled by several of the comments as I probably wont be in such a situation, and with the bad L-5 disc I ruined in '95 I would hesitate carrying a very heavy load because the pain from that injury is not something I would want to deal with again. But, to put this in perspective for most healthy-ish adults think about giving another adult a piggy back ride or putting a teenager or cute lady on your your shoulders for that wrestling war thing we used to do in the water. I forget the name of the water game. My point is with a proper pack suggested by Sourdough most people could carry 200 or even 300 pounds on their back if needed. I suppose the first several days would require frequent stops to rest the legs and catch your breath but each day or week it would become a wee bit easier. And as mentioned by a few others just because the pack is capable of 300+ pounds doesn't mean you have to carry that much weight, but 150 pounds in a very good pack would be a lot more comfortable than 100 pounds in a cheap pack. If you had to hike to a spring for fresh water it would be easier to carry 10 or 15 gallons in a well suited pack, or if you had to haul back some firewood you may not need to completely fill the pack even if it is capable of more weight.
For those who may have to experience such a situation this is some good information to consider and I know the two old boy scout packs I picked up years ago would not compare to a much better suited, or way over suited, pack of much better quality and capabilities if all other things are equal.

My first pack I ever used was when a friend invited me to go with him on a camping trip with the Boy Scout troop he was in. I was 10 at the time and didn't have a backpack made for camping and my dad really couldn't afford anything for me at the time. So, I went out in the woods and cut me some saplings and basically made myself an external pack, attached my school book bag on it, tight a wool blanket rolled up, borrowed a pot from my mom and a fork and spoon. I already had 100' of rope, a poncho and a good knife and hatchet so I put it all together and was all set. The scout master was inspecting everyone's gear before we headed out and got to me and my pack and was quite shocked but held back saying anything and just accepted my list as I told him what all was in the pack. Got to camp and the Scout Master came over and handed me a tent to use but I said "No thanks, fixing to build mine." I used the poncho as the roof and made a hammock with the rope and put my blanket in there. Most of the other scouts where laughing at me and saying pretty mean things but I just kept putting together my camp setup. Had a nice steak and backed potato with corn on the cob for dinner that I had packed in while the others ate their hotdogs that were provided for them. Next day we got to a river crossing that the bridge was out (log bridge). I went down a ways and found some trees I could climb and get across with, hiked back up to the troop and tossed over my rope and secured it and then instructed them how to send over the gear while I was working to get the bridge back in place. I remember that trip. 10 year old kid, homemade pack and no tent saving the day for a bunch or scouts that ranged from 10 to 17 years old PLUS the scout master. They didn't laugh the rest of the trip but they did learn a lot about what made good gear. Not always the gear but how it's used.

like sourdough said this is not about trail packs but about freighter packs and the one he linked whick ben got picture of from website is a MINUMUM freghting pack. the better ones cost way more and apparently are hard to get now from back in the day.

Tatonka_Lastenkraxe_olive[1000x700].jpg

Still, I see no photos of a person with a backpack carrying a refrigerator, 55-gal drum, or kitchen stove. I am believing there isn't such a pack.

From the pictures that are posted, it looks like the pack exists, but I certainly share your doubts about one person being able to carry kitchen appliances, or loaded 55 gallon drums. Sorry, but I just don't see how a pack like that is going to help carrying 12' lengths of lumber. IMHO if you are using that type of pack you surely won't be carrying much else, which is not how I want to go into the woods.

Back