"FREIGHTING" Backpack Frames...? HEAVY and/or HUGE loads.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the pictures that are posted, it looks like the pack exists, but I certainly share your doubts about one person being able to carry kitchen appliances, or loaded 55 gallon drums. Sorry, but I just don't see how a pack like that is going to help carrying 12' lengths of lumber. IMHO if you are using that type of pack you surely won't be carrying much else, which is not how I want to go into the woods.
True that. And, even if you could lift it, how far could you carry it? 100 ft?

nepalese-porter-everest-region-nepal-himalaya-sagarmatha-march-carrying-heavy-load-to-pass-sagarmatha-national-park-97278758.jpg

True that. And, even if you could lift it, how far could you carry it? 100 ft?

Not me!. Takes me way back to my weightlifting days. It would be like doing a Dead Lift. You pick it up and then drop it. I couldn't carry it 10 feet.

I don't see a pack frame?
so what ? i dont give a crap what you see or dont see. all you doing is trying to derail this thread and poke at sourdough. stop harassing him and being an ******* on this forum.

so what ? i dont give a crap what you see or dont see. all you doing is trying to derail this thread and poke at sourdough. stop harassing him and being an ******* on this forum.
I like Sourdoughs threads and points. At least they make you think about some "what if" things. I can say that IF I was to need to carry lots of equipment (maybe in dozens of loads) to a place that I can't drive too (and I have several) that one of the freight packs could be very handy. I actually could see me hauling some "appliances" that way in a pinch to get them to a site.

I like Sourdoughs threads and points. At least they make you think about some "what if" things. I can say that IF I was to need to carry lots of equipment (maybe in dozens of loads) to a place that I can't drive too (and I have several) that one of the freight packs could be very handy. I actually could see me hauling some "appliances" that way in a pinch to get them to a site.
somewhere on here i think i put a video or pictures from way back in the day of family/community getting a ford tractor to remote village in a little river boat.

miki and juli collins flew a horse to homestead in denali in a bush plane. it was knocked out for flight and it came to mid flight and tried to escape through only place it could see freedom..through the windshield over pilot and one of the sisters. she had to subdue it while pilot fought to fly the plane . you aint lived till you done wwe moves with an icelandic pony in a bushplane....roflmao

I did some work as a bush pilot back when I was in my 20's. Never had a horse in the plane with me but I did have several encounters with Bull Elk standing or charging down the runway at me during takeoff. It never got boring! It's one of those jobs you decide to stop while you still can.

Geesh. I am beside myself reading this thread. I checked and double checked and thought I was on the SB forum. Just because the suggested style pack is capable of carrying a 55 gallon drum or a refrigerator doesn't mean those are the items that it had to be used for, and for some carrying an empty 55 gallon drum to a bug out location could be very helpful for catching and storing rain water or securing food and supplies from pesky critters. Of course I am thinking raccoons or mice or insects but I guess someone might argue that it wouldn't stop a large bear so I wont even mention a bear to keep that from getting poked with a sharp stick. At work I unload several refrigerators from the truck every night, they are rarely on a pallet and just stacked on top of other boxes because the trucks are fully loaded floor to ceiling. It is not difficult for one person, even me with a bad back, to lift a fridge and set it on the roller belt to send down to the sorting crew. Not all refrigerators are 7 feet tall and 500 pounds and the new ones are surprisingly lightweight, and a 4 cubic foot mini fridge/freezer only weighs about 60 pounds and a 7.5 cubic foot fridge/freezer only weighs about 90 pounds. Even with my bad back I could carry the 90 pound fridge to a remote area with a quality back pack, it would be a lot easier than trying to drag it into the back country on an appliance dolly. Complaints about a fridge at a remote bug out location? Use the same pack to carry up a few solar panels, and inverter and charge controller then bring a few batteries the next trip and the new high efficient fridges could be kept cold as long as the panels got a decent amount of sunlight most days and only run the fridge a few times a day on the cloudy days. My new freezer says it will hold temp for 3 days during a power outage if you rarely open the door during that time. A stove doesn't have to be a full size super stupid fancy $5000 version, they make small stoves for small apartments or RV's, or perhaps it is a small wood stove.
I think it would be rather ignorant to think anyone would carry a 55 gallon drum full of water but somehow those type of comments made it into this thread. Yup, I looked again, this is not the other forum but right now it seems very familiar.

Please provide a photo of a filled 55-gallon drum, kitchen stove, or refrigerator mounted on a freighter backpack being carried by a single person. I am having a hard time imagining what the heck you're talking about.
I didn't notice the word "filled" in his post. But I suppose the 55 gallon drum could be filled with pillows and a blanket and still be a bearable weight to many capable people.

Don't hunters already have some wheeled contraptions for hauling out heavier game, or dressed game? I'd probably go that route to haul anything really heavy in the field, even if I had to make the wheeled rig myself. Something between a lightweight wheelbarrow and a handcart, lol... using aluminum for the frame and opting for lighter alloy rims. If I had a horse, I'd rig up a travois and let the horse do the work, lol... maybe add some wheels to the ends of the poles to make it easier on the horse. It wouldn't work in really rough terrain, but it'd work in a lot of areas... those Injuns sure dragged some heavy loads across country with the travois. 😒
They do have wheeled type contraptions but in rough terrain they are not helpful and would make the task more difficult, or impossible. Where I hunt or hike in the back country mountain areas there are rocks on top of rocks with old stumps and plenty of sage brush and many other natural obstacles that are easy enough to walk over and around but impossible to roll a cart or even drag a dead deer. Even quartering a deer and trying to drag it a few hundred yards to the road/trail took 2 people and many rest stops but if we had a pack we could have walked out slowly with little difficulty. Terrain varies greatly by region, in Michigan I could tie a rope to the antlers and the other end to my belt and walked a deer out of the woods for miles, here in the hilly area of Utah the only direction it will be dragged is down hill and it will be bouncing and rolling past you more often than not.

From the pictures that are posted, it looks like the pack exists, but I certainly share your doubts about one person being able to carry kitchen appliances, or loaded 55 gallon drums. Sorry, but I just don't see how a pack like that is going to help carrying 12' lengths of lumber. IMHO if you are using that type of pack you surely won't be carrying much else, which is not how I want to go into the woods.
Did someone say "loaded 55 gallon drums"? I thought I read a 55 gallon drum that could be used to hold water or gas or fuel or supplies, but I don't recall seeing anything in the original post claiming it was "loaded". Did I miss something? I keep going back but I am not seeing it.

Did someone say "loaded 55 gallon drums"? I thought I read a 55 gallon drum that could be used to hold water or gas or fuel or supplies, but I don't recall seeing anything in the original post claiming it was "loaded". Did I miss something? I keep going back but I am not seeing it.
Could load it with Helium and make it lighter to carry. ;)

Okay, I'll concede that it is possible that a few armchair survivalists, who are young and/or workout, could lift and carry a small apartment-sized or RV refrigerator and a small stove unit and an empty 55-gallon drum five miles to their bugout hideaway. But, why? Now, they've set themselves into the necessity to pack in, on a regular basis, gasoline for a generator, and/or LP tanks, and/or kerosene. It just doesn't seem very sustainable for any length of time, especially during TEOTWAWKI.

Okay, I'll concede that it is possible that a few armchair survivalists, who are young and/or workout, could lift and carry a small apartment-sized or RV refrigerator and a small stove unit and an empty 55-gallon drum five miles to their bugout hideaway. But, why? Now, they've set themselves into the necessity to pack in, on a regular basis, gasoline for a generator, and/or LP tanks, and/or kerosene. It just doesn't seem very sustainable for any length of time, especially during TEOTWAWKI.
@INresponse hit my thoughts on the fridge. A small one of the DC units could run off a jackery that could be charged easily enough to run a fridge long enough each day to keep food cold. It would be a huge luxury to have that to throw freshly gutted meat in or to make ice, etc. Stove? Not sure about that as that would take too much power to work. Could rig it for a fire maybe but just a grill would really do if you had to use fire. Barrel would be worth a mint for water collection and could be made into a smoker if it was a metal drum. Few luxuries makes survival seem just that much closer to "living". Regardless, I think the point was trying to give advice that the pack unit being presented could be a very good piece of gear for hauling things regardless of what.

Now I will admit it .... when I first read the post I said to myself "WTHeck". But, the thoughts that came from the thread sure gave me something to consider.

@INresponse hit my thoughts on the fridge. A small one of the DC units could run off a jackery that could be charged easily enough to run a fridge long enough each day to keep food cold. It would be a huge luxury to have that to throw freshly gutted meat in or to make ice, etc. Stove? Not sure about that as that would take too much power to work. Could rig it for a fire maybe but just a grill would really do if you had to use fire. Barrel would be worth a mint for water collection and could be made into a smoker if it was a metal drum. Few luxuries makes survival seem just that much closer to "living". Regardless, I think the point was trying to give advice that the pack unit being presented could be a very good piece of gear for hauling things regardless of what.

Now I will admit it .... when I first read the post I said to myself "WTHeck". But, the thoughts that came from the thread sure gave me something to consider.
But wouldn't any survivalist already have these things moved to his bugout place today and not wait until doomsday? If so, there would be much less need for a horrendous backpack. Waiting until the last minute...yeah, you may need certainly need a large pack...but, IMHO it's a death sentence to wait till then regardless of how you get your stuff to your bugout.

But wouldn't any survivalist already have these things moved to his bugout place today and not wait until doomsday? If so, there would be much less need for a horrendous backpack. Waiting until the last minute...yeah, you may need certainly need a large pack...but, IMHO it's a death sentence to wait till then regardless of how you get your stuff to your bugout.
Someone else mentioned potential needs of relocation if your bugout or homestead place was overrun, blown to bits or whatever. In an event where society has exploded there could be many easily obtained items to just take and move to your newly established base camp. So, having the pack to haul stuff in that case would be helpful.

what you fail to see or read..is in original post he said nothing about during a shtf or wrol or whatever. it was a thread i asked him to do about packing critters and gear. you fail to understand many people right now pack gear in on their backs or to and from certain points to where sleds,trains,boats or plane can access them.

i had planes and choppers come get me and at last moment weather or the LZ i picked didnt suit the pilot and he chose a better safer spot and had to beat feet to get on them.

he also didnt say to a bug out hideway...people live remote where they do this regular..maybe not the huge loads but very large loads often and only way to get items in. setting up a camp you will pack a wood stove in some way,back,sled,chopper etc. probably all of the above. the thread is not about if they set their selves up for failure by use of kerosene,gasoline etc. i just wanted to hear his experiences of packing gear and quarter big game and advice on knots and rope and more....doubt it will happen now.

Latest posts

Back