"FREIGHTING" Backpack Frames...? HEAVY and/or HUGE loads.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what you fail to see or read..is in original post he said nothing about during a shtf or wrol or whatever. it was a thread i asked him to do about packing critters and gear. you fail to understand many people right now pack gear in on their backs or to and from certain points to where sleds,trains,boats or plane can access them.

i had planes and choppers come get me and at last moment weather or the LZ i picked didnt suit the pilot and he chose a better safer spot and had to beat feet to get on them.

he also didnt say to a bug out hideway...people live remote where they do this regular..maybe not the huge loads but very large loads often and only way to get items in. setting up a camp you will pack a wood stove in some way,back,sled,chopper etc. probably all of the above. the thread is not about if they set their selves up for failure by use of kerosene,gasoline etc. i just wanted to hear his experiences of packing gear and quarter big game and advice on knots and rope and more....doubt it will happen now.
Since this thread was started on a Prepping Forum, I made a giant leap assumption that the need for a freighter pack had something to do with SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. Excuse me for making this assumption. I had no idea that behind the scenes you asked SD to discuss his experience with packing out wild game and knots.

Cue the Rodney King line! :oops:

"CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?" 🤣
only if you bring cider jug out....lol....maybe hashbrown can break out something else....roflmao

Since this thread was started on a Prepping Forum, I made a giant leap assumption that the need for a freighter pack had something to do with SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. Excuse me for making this assumption. I had no idea that behind the scenes you asked SD to discuss his experience with packing out wild game and knots.
it was is more than just packing game...it was for gear too.

i know where a old original servel refrigerator is at...it will have to be packed out if i get it.... someway shape or form.

sometimes posting under one forum is just easier to keep track. i cant keep up with but news,prep and garden. i forget all places i post other stuff at.

it was is more than just packing game...it was for gear too.

i know where a old original servel refrigerator is at...it will have to be packed out if i get it.... someway shape or form.

sometimes posting under one forum is just easier to keep track. i cant keep up with but news,prep and garden. i forget all places i post other stuff at.
If/When you put that old Servel refrigerator on your back, I want a photo of it! :)

1679088912420.png

Since this thread was started on a Prepping Forum, I made a giant leap assumption that the need for a freighter pack had something to do with SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. Excuse me for making this assumption.
I use one of my freighting frame packs regularly to haul supplies to my remote cabins and cache sites in summer. No other way to get supplies there in the summer, winter I can use the snow machine, as it does not leave tracks that scar the ground.
I think you so greatly miss your buddy, Barefoot Farmer; you have come to attack posts for your simple gratification.

I use one of my freighting frame packs regularly to haul supplies to my remote cabins and cache sites in summer. No other way to get supplies there in the summer, winter I can use the snow machine, as it does not leave tracks that scar the ground.
I think you so greatly miss your buddy, Barefoot Farmer; you have come to attack posts for your simple gratification.
Oh for heaven's sake!

what you fail to see or read..is in original post he said nothing about during a shtf or wrol or whatever. it was a thread i asked him to do about packing critters and gear. you fail to understand many people right now pack gear in on their backs or to and from certain points to where sleds,trains,boats or plane can access them.

i had planes and choppers come get me and at last moment weather or the LZ i picked didnt suit the pilot and he chose a better safer spot and had to beat feet to get on them.

he also didnt say to a bug out hideway...people live remote where they do this regular..maybe not the huge loads but very large loads often and only way to get items in. setting up a camp you will pack a wood stove in some way,back,sled,chopper etc. probably all of the above. the thread is not about if they set their selves up for failure by use of kerosene,gasoline etc. i just wanted to hear his experiences of packing gear and quarter big game and advice on knots and rope and more....doubt it will happen now.
Some very good descriptions of possible uses for a pack that type. Some I'd never considered. 55 gallon drum for one. But properly loaded would hold a boat load of gear. Don't have to be heavy, could well be bulky. And for setting up a new remote hunter or trappers cabin for a season a pack like that would be very useful. Firewood, or meat are 2 others that come to mind

I used to lust over the freighter frames in my youth while reviewing the old campmor catalog. Just didn't have the money or the need at that time (raising a kid and paying child support for my son that I had full custody of ...!)

But I did put an effort to hauling stuff in my 30's. Not now..

I am curious how to transport long lumber. Seems awkward???

Ben

Okay, I'll concede that it is possible that a few armchair survivalists, who are young and/or workout, could lift and carry a small apartment-sized or RV refrigerator and a small stove unit and an empty 55-gallon drum five miles to their bugout hideaway. But, why? Now, they've set themselves into the necessity to pack in, on a regular basis, gasoline for a generator, and/or LP tanks, and/or kerosene. It just doesn't seem very sustainable for any length of time, especially during TEOTWAWKI.
There is the possibility of a solar set up and small to medium sized battery bank and wood should be available. But I agree gasoline or propane would be in short supply.

Ben
I agree it would be awkward, and perhaps lumber 12 or 16 or 20 feet long might be best (for most) to secure one end to the pack and let the other end drag although that would be very strenuous as well with the added friction of dragging it. If, IF, there are no trees with branches interfering with the trail from point A to point B and someone was strong and healthy enough maybe carrying it with the pack might be a decent option. If one was in such a situation and needed the lumber somehow it has to get from point A to point B. I believe it has been done my some in the past or it probably wouldn't be mentioned as possible now. I couldn't do it, but I do think it could be possible.

Ahhhhhh, such a great improvement in this thread in the past dozen hours or so. Thank you all for seeing the various reasons the original post was of value. Without getting off topic there are various situations where what may initially seem outlandish could really be a way to think outside the box. I have a big Dodge diesel truck capable of pulling a giant 5th wheel trailer but I will never own or have a need to pull such a big rig but my truck is not overkill it is a tool that works for me and might, MIGHT, be something for someone else to consider. I am sure most of us have seen the pictures of a VW bug set up with a hitch on top to pull a very light weight 5th wheel trailer but for most people that is silly but it is still cool to look at and for some it may be just what they need.
Moral of my rant, usually this forum is on topic and productive but for a bit this thread was far to similar to the other forum I left due to the constant bashing and negativity. We are better than that, so (myself included at times) let's stay positive and focused and work together to offer good advice or set back quietly and see what we can learn from each other.

There is the possibility of a solar set up and small to medium sized battery bank and wood should be available. But I agree gasoline or propane would be in short supply.
setting up a remote spot example...theres a freezer/refrigerator that runs on a danfoss compressor and uses only 12volts. its top notch state of the art compressors with less to break used in marine applications. the amish designed and built a chest freezer that can function as both freezer and refrigerator and only needs something like 300-400 watts of panels and if memory serves two batteries. it designed to have least amount serve needs and everything is adjustable for as time and wear and tear happens just like our old refrigerators use to be back in the day. even without batteries this thing could function during daylight hours and still be an asset working for a persons home and more comfortable life in remote area.

i packed a pretty big boat full of building materials...plywood and 2x6's etc. the boat had a little forward cabin on it,so all went in rear.we had to climb over all that wood and was only a narrow section at steering wheel to stand or sit on the built in pair of seats.the boat had twin evinrude 235hp outboards and running wide open non stop the trip was 4.5 hours one way to spot we built our work camp.the boat was fast and it was a long ways. i been so rough of seas in that boat for hours coming in the prop of the two engines would come out of the water as we crested each wave so we then fell to surface of sea and everything was tossed straight up in air on each impact. it was about 3.5 hours of that and when we docked it looked like a bomb had been dropped into cabin of boat and nothing was left unturned or even unopened. it took a full day of 3 people working to right that mess. imagine cases of surveyors ribbon opened and 100's of rolls unraveled. food storage stuff everywhere,survival suits,etc. etc. it was a mess...best boats ever made as far as i am concerned...work skiff brand.

back then i flew in chopper daily and as far as i am concerned old vietnam chopper pilots are the best ever !! thank you doc for all the great flights and saving my bacon more than once.

Last edited:
I used to lust over the freighter frames in my youth while reviewing the old campmor catalog. Just didn't have the money or the need at that time (raising a kid and paying child support for my son that I had full custody of ...!)

But I did put an effort to hauling stuff in my 30's. Not now..

Ben
Remove the axle and the axle support rails from a wagon. Replace the wheels with bycycle rims and tires
Strap the frame to the end of your lumber and a set in the center , attach a rope and pull

one thing no one mentioned or said in this thread..or that i seen...was distance...i did mention getting things to remote spots often take rail,sled,chopper,boat and more. what has not been said is how often on rugged sea coasts with no road access things come to beach via plane or boat and dropped off.....then from there a person moves however they have the means too. so some of these heavy loads are only moved from beach up into forest 100-200 yards depending on spot going to.

one thing to i not mentioned is i seen full brand new 55 gallon drums of chevron gasoline hidden along coastline before by fishermen,work crews and more to have a stash of fuel for emergencies since its so far to town to refuel. the last stash i seen was a decent distance inside treeline so no passers by could see the blue of the barrels. they were in spot no dolly was used or could have even considered being used....I AM NOT SAYING..they used a backpack....but they were moved some way....5 gallon jugs in certain places are a joke when you have a big boat and its 150 miles to nearest fuel station.

One person can carry 4-5 gallon cans of gas using a pole across the shoulders
You need 150 gallons?
8 people one trip
4 people two trips
One person eight trips

A plastic 50 gallon drum can be brought in the same way empty then filled as needed

one thing no one mentioned or said in this thread..or that i seen...was distance...i did mention getting things to remote spots often take rail,sled,chopper,boat and more. what has not been said is how often on rugged sea coasts with no road access things come to beach via plane or boat and dropped off.....then from there a person moves however they have the means too. so some of these heavy loads are only moved from beach up into forest 100-200 yards depending on spot going to.

one thing to i not mentioned is i seen full brand new 55 gallon drums of chevron gasoline hidden along coastline before by fishermen,work crews and more to have a stash of fuel for emergencies since its so far to town to refuel. the last stash i seen was a decent distance inside treeline so no passers by could see the blue of the barrels. they were in spot no dolly was used or could have even considered being used....I AM NOT SAYING..they used a backpack....but they were moved some way....5 gallon jugs in certain places are a joke when you have a big boat and its 150 miles to nearest fuel station.
DWhat I am referring to is simple in 3rd world countries. Labor is cheap and life is even cheaper. Forcing people to carry fuel 150 miles is no big deal when you are the one with the gun. In most cases the persons will be killed at the end of the journey
America is the ONLY country where our poor are far richer than the middle class of another country

place and times i reference you couldnt find 8 people much less get to work fr wages...why? in 94 the town meter maid marking tires for ticket down main street you could see from one end to the other made $20something per hour. timber cutters made $30-$50,camp cooks i have to idea...point being you cannt get help most of the time. the fishing vessels they usually are 2 or 3 person crews and once to fishing grounds they fish till tired,time is up,full of fish,etc. they haul the metal drums of fuel as they go stash so as they use fuel they can fill their boats large tank to return home. they have large built in fuel tanks on board.

the 5 gallon cans of gas in 1994 was $4-$5 a gallon. at that time most fuel was under $1 a gallon in lower 48...on average. i couldnt imagine what those cans and drums cost now.

pizza and pitcher of beer and a pepsi cost $107 to dine in at table. pizza by itself..last one i bought was $78. while we were still in high school buddy came out of bush on hunting trip to anchorage or fairbanks and pizza hut? i think was chain..large pizza was $40 in 83 or 84

now do some of yall see why @Sourdough said the packs made in alaska by small company cost $800-$1000.

i have spent $1500 at one time to feed a 10 person work crew for 10 days in bush.we nearly starved and ate all of that food.

i know or think i told...not here but some here from other forums...my flight bill for 1 month was $27k...yea you read it right $27k...but i was overseeing a $75 million dollar project at minimum value.just for things to be seen in perspective.

guys that stuck with work crews for entire of season often not only made big bucks they got huge end of year bonus as icing on cake and to entice them to return. i know 2 guys use to get $15k bonus.

anyway i never seen fuel in plastic drum or small cans.,only metal.

trying to move gear from where a chopper flew a sling load under it and dropped in a muskeg and then you get to move it from there. you aint using anything but brute strength out of muskeg.

Last edited:
If you can’t carry it, roll it! Here in the deep south the woods are full of vines. They grow the lengh of trees, even longer. They hang down, many have thorns that snag. A large pack is impractical many of the places I go.

Pretty sure the wheel was invented after the pack so… I have a game cart, solid tires, rated to 400lbs (they do come larger). Fits behind my truck seat, less than 5min to assemble. I keep the tools and bolts in a zippered bag on the frame. It’s easy to move... even with heavy loads. Why carry something if you don’t have to?

Cart  (4)a.jpg
game cart 02.jpg

Last edited:
It’s easy to move even with heavy loads. Why carry it if you don’t have to?
will the game cart work crossing a river three to four feet deep.?? Across muskeg swamp..?? We use sleds summer if possible. We have had a Professional guiding industry here in Alaska for 150'ish years. We charge $20,000.00 to $40,000.00 for a ten day hunt. I guarantee if there was any other "LEGAL" way to get things moved in the Alaska wilderness, we would gladly pay to have it.

will the game cart work crossing a river three to four feet deep.?? Across muskeg swamp..?? We use sleds summer if possible. We have had a Professional guiding industry here in Alaska for 150'ish years. We charge $20,000.00 to $40,000.00 for a ten day hunt. I guarantee if there was any other "LEGAL" way to get things moved in the Alaska wilderness, we would gladly pay to have it.
the muskegs are bottomless pits...we tried putting a road across edge in a spot it really needed to go...at the edge they started dumping off road dump truck loads....if memory serves they dumped 40 loads and never got a foot..it all sank out of sight. they moved the road..in 1994 a rough logging road with only large stone was $50k a mile. only stone not gravel.

i agree the wheel on cart sink right in or you couldnt pull it up and over the 'tuffts'.theres variations in muskegs from alaska to quebec to maine...that i have experience with....but all basically the same..but alaska swallowed up more from my experiences.

theres a reason so many have the boats in southeast and coastal alaska with drop down 'gate' like landing beach craft designed for war .

the wheel cart work great on islands and areas with all the old over grown logging roads that been built.but often these are used by atv and some of better and more traveled/used ones are kept cleared a bit by locals.but not function one foot off built road.

18-ft-landing-craft-300x225.jpg

Last edited:
Different locations require different methods such as the game cart .,that is an excellent idea and planning is the key to success. If 4’ deep water crossings are to be encountered then bring a rubber dingy with a foot pump to make the crossing

When you work in wilderness Alaska you get to take your backpack and your rifle. You will be there for 80 to 90 days. Sorry, no blow-up boat or game carts.

It is not a life for sissies. However, there are Professional Female Hunting Guides.

When you work in wilderness Alaska you get to take your backpack and your rifle. You will be there for 80 to 90 days. Sorry, no blow-up boat or game carts.

It is not a life for sissies. However, there are Professional Female Hunting Guides.
Is this conversation exclusively about Alaska?
I do not believe it is,
If a cart does not work in your area it will work in different terrain
And they do make plastic fuel barrels and cans. Just because you have not seen one does not make it non available. Food grade containers can also be used

Who says that you can only take a rifle and back pack? Is this some kind of government over reach law or your opinion? You can take what ever you wish as long as you do not exceed the weight limit of the plane dropping you off

just from my experience...i know they make plastic fuel cans...but what i am referencing is metal drums and cans from chevron prefilled and sealed. they had only ever used metal into the 90's. at least back then there were certain regulations about sticking fuel cans on a chopper or plane. they had to filled at gas company whatever and have these special metal seals and not be tampered with. no partial cans and no home filled cans. these seals had a pull tab and you pulled them and it peeled a section out and could be taken off then.

heck even a bear bomb without a factory seal couldnt be inside cabin with pilot,crew and passengers and that was because of past incidents where people lost their lives when one went off in cabin and resulted in crash and deaths.if no seal they had to go into an ammo can and put in storage compartment in tail of chopper/plane. at least thats the way it was....been awhile for me...

as far as rifle and pack..when dropped in coastal brown bear country rifle/pack is first items. theres spots that in fact working for feds you wont be dropped off to work without a rifle or a certified gun bearer to watch over work crew.it changes one mind when you see bear tracks bigger than your hardhat all around....lol...375h&h or 12ga pump.regulations said i had to carry a pack because i had to be prepared to live out in wilds on my own if the chopper couldnt come get me at end of day and it was so remote you needed it.so rough,so hostile,so remote,so unforgiving people quit often on first day..fish biologist broke their leg first week out just as example.one spot i was at i counted 250 black bears in 10 days...no brownies in that area thank goodness.

anything that works for someone in their area is to be used for sure.

Despite having served in the USA INF, I don't believe I'd last long in Sourdough's Alaska... too much like WORK, don'tcha know? Instead, I believe I'll hunker down right here, BLAST the illegals and others who wander into shooting range, then ROAST 'EM over the stone fire pit I already built, lol. Might smoke and jerk some of that long pig too, there will be an unlimited supply... for a while, anyway, lol. The smoke from the fire should bring in more suckers---er, I mean walking food parcels of long pig. Sure sounds easier than trying to live in big bad Alaska, lol... :eek:

Despite having served in the USA INF, I don't believe I'd last long in Sourdough's Alaska... too much like WORK, don'tcha know? Instead, I believe I'll hunker down right here, BLAST the illegals and others who wander into shooting range, then ROAST 'EM over the stone fire pit I already built, lol. Might smoke and jerk some of that long pig too, there will be an unlimited supply... for a while, anyway, lol. The smoke from the fire should bring in more suckers---er, I mean walking food parcels of long pig. Sure sounds easier than trying to live in big bad Alaska, lol... :eek:

it is a rough place for sure...all places can be rough in their own way too..but anyhow something crazy...fish killing you...giant halibut break legs after being pulled on board and have even killed men on their boats. they to can drown you if pulled under getting tangled. i mean a fish the size of a sheet of plywood has strength.

10 straight work days in bush my knees swelled up pretty bad..never had that happen even in coastal washington working. took my 4 days off to get them down and go back and do it all over again....lol...i was young then and had to do it.

but anyhow...

something i seen might be nice to have. i seen an electric version going up stairs in apartment building even.

Latest posts

Back