From coleslaw to summer salads😀

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter was just telling me about this salad. I have never heard of it nor had it, but want to try it. I may change a few things in it.

Bulgur as a substitute for the quinoa? Never had it. Have any of you ever made it or had it? It is cracked, cooked wheat.

Jennifer Aniston Salad​

Here's how to make the viral Jennifer Aniston salad with quinoa or bulgur, cucumber, fresh herbs, pistachios, chickpeas and feta all tossed in lemon juice and olive oil.

Prep Time10minutes mins
Cook Time15minutes mins
Total Time25minutes mins

Course: Salad
Cuisine: American
Keyword: jennifer aniston salad

Servings: 6

Author: Brittany Mullins

Ingredients​

• 1 cup quinoa or bulgur wheat uncooked
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup cucumber chopped
  • ½ cup parsley chopped
  • ½ cup mint chopped
  • ⅓ cup red onion chopped
  • ½ cup roasted and salted pistachios chopped
  • 1 15 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
  • 2 lemons juiced (about 5-6 Tablespoons)
  • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt to taste
  • ground pepper to taste
  • ½ cup crumbled feta cheese

Instructions​

• Rinse and drain quinoa. Add quinoa and water to a small pot and bring the water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
  • In a medium bowl, stir together cooked quinoa, cucumber, parsley, mint, red onion, pistachios, chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and feta.
  • Serve immediately or let the salad chill in the fridge a couple hours before serving.
  • Store salad in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.

Notes​

• Feel free to use bulgur if desired. Add bulgur and water to a small pot and bring the water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Drain off any access water. Fluff with a fork and let cool for 5-10 minutes.

Nutrition​

Serving: 1/6 recipe | Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 317mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g

I'm having sweet n sour chicken salad. 1 part dill cubes, 1 part sweet relish, 1 part jalapeno relish, bomb it with mayo, and sprinkle with crunchy Cheetos.

As a corn chip, it's awesome!

Now I'm going to roll a grenade out into the dinner table, which is best:
Amish-style Potato salad.
German style with mustard and boiled eggs.
Southwest style with peppers, corn, and extra onion.
Southern style, which is pretty much Amish, but with mashed potatoes and mustard.

think of them as cheesy croutons.
have you tried the new "Mexican street corn" flavor?
to die for!
I don't even know what that is LOL

Potato salad: I am German and I make my cold potato salad like this:
boil potatoes whole, then peel and cool
add: chopped onion, chopped dill pickle, chopped hard boiled eggs
mayo, milk, a little mustard, some vinegar, dill , pepper

hot potato salad: boil potatoes whole like the other one, peel, slice
fry some bacon and chopped onion, and flour
add some warm water and stir like crazy or the flour will clump
pepper and vinegar
add potatoes last
eat warm

Creamy Cucumber Salad

2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, red onion, sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, dill weed, salt, and pepper.
Stir to combine.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Serve chilled.

@Magus , how about Mexican Street Corn Salad?
https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/recipe/mexican-street-corn-salad-recipe/

Mexican Street Corn Salad Recipe​

In many Mexican restaurants, street corn is one of my favorite dishes. Throw all the ingredients together in a bowl for this delicious salad!

Prep Time5minutes mins
Cook Time10minutes mins
Total Time15minutes mins

Course: Salad, Side Dish
Cuisine: Mexican
Keyword: corn salad, mexican recipe, mexican side dish, street corn salad

Servings: 6
Calories: 187kcal

Equipment​

• Skillet
  • Mixing Bowl

Ingredients​

• 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 16 ounces frozen corn 1 bag
  • 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise (I used light)
  • 4 ounces Cotija Cheese crumbled, (could also use feta cheese)
  • 2 Tablespoons lime juice (fresh is best)
  • 1 Tablespoon jalapeno pepper finely chopped
  • ⅓ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons red onion finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions​

• Heat oil over medium heat. Add frozen corn and let cook until corn starts to char, stirring occasionally (it took about 7-8 minutes before my corn was lightly charred).
  • While the corn is cooking, mix together mayonnaise, cheese, lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro, red onion, garlic, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. When corn is done, gently fold it in with other ingredients.
  • Serve immediately and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

Notes​

• You can also use 3-4 cups fresh corn in place of the frozen corn.

Uncle Otis had something a bit like that, but he'd scorch his corn, chop up a tomato to go on top, mix in some mayonnaise, onion, salt, and pepper. it was good on biscuits!

I found one recipe for it. Cauliflower, walnuts and blue cheese sound like a great combination. The recipe I found also has raisins. I am not a raisin fan, so I would personally omit them.

https://www.iga.net/en/inspiring_recipes/recipes/cauliflower_salad_with_blue_cheese_and_walnut
INGREDIENTS
  1. 60 g (2 oz) blue cheese
  2. 60 mL (1/4 cup) Zesty Italian Dressing
  3. 60 mL (1/4 cup) seedless raisins
  4. 60 mL (1/4 cup) fresh parsley
  5. 125 mL (1/2 cup) walnuts
  6. 1 cauliflower
DIRECTIONS
  1. Cook the cauliflower for 2 minutes in a large pot of salted boiling water. Drain and cool.
  2. In a large bowl, gently toss the cauliflower, walnuts, parsley, raisins and blue cheese with the salad dressing.
Reading through this thread and found this. I would substitute sliced black olives for the raisins.

I just came across this recipe. I haven't gone through all of the recipes, so there might be a recipe for coleslaw already.

“Cullie’s coleslaw”.
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped fine in a food processor
Salt and pepper (about 1/2 tablespoon each)
1/3 cup of sugar
Two large spoonfuls of mayonnaise (Dukes is what momma always used but I’m sure Amy would do)
2-3 capfuls of white distilled vinegar
A carrot chopped fine in the food processor

*all the seasonings can be added to or lessened as you taste is not mine*
In a bowl add the chopped cabbage, carrot, salt, pepper and sugar. Mix with a fork until combined. The dry ingredients are to be mixed in first, so that they adhere to the cabbage. Add in the mayonnaise and stir again until all the cabbage is saturated by the Mayo. Finally, pour the vinegar over your cabbage and stir once more. Taste to see if it’s to your liking. If too sweet, add another cap full of vinegar. If too sour, pour a touch more sugar in.

I goofed and missed the ability to quote.
From Magus in post 57. I previously said that I would much more celery and onion, and even more carrots. Sometimes in macaroni salads I add tuna, chicken or shrimp. Another recipe that I wouldn't put raisins in, but I do put in sliced black olives. Green olives would be good as well.

"Macaroni.
1 box of boiled, rinsed and drained macaroni.
1/4 cup of celery.
1/8 cup of shredded onion
1/8 cup of shredded carrots
1 cup of shredded red cabbage
Some folks add a box of raisins and or mixed nuts here, I do not.
Mayonnaise, a sprinkle of dill, fast shot of black pepper chill over night."

WALDORF SALAD

2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
dash salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup whipped topping (dairy or non-dairy)

Combine eggs, sugar, salt, and lemon juice in top of a double boiler. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly until thick. Cool. Fold in whipped topping.

Now, combine all the following and fold into the above dressing:

2 cups chopped apples
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 cup halved grapes
2 bananas, sliced
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup pecans

This is called a salad, but it seems more like a dessert to me.

WATERGATE SALAD

1 small can or 1 1/2 cups crushed pineapple, (do not drain)
1 16-oz tub frozen whipped topping
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flaked coconut
2 pkg. pistachio instant pudding mix, dry
1 ½ cups miniature marshmallows (optional)

Thaw topping. Mix together thoroughly all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This will keep for several days in the fridge.

Here's my question. You go to a restaurant and get a side salad with your meal. The salad covers an 8 to 10" plate. You go to the same restaurant and order fish and chips. You get a thimble full of Cole slaw. I don't get it.

Apple Broccoli Cauliflower Salad​

Add more veggies to your plate with this Apple Broccoli Cauliflower Salad that’s tossed in a creamy, lemony garlic dressing.

Prep: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutes
Servings: 10 servings

INGREDIENTS​

• 4–5 cups broccoli florets, chopped into bites size pieces (10–12 ounce bag)
  • 2 1/2–3 cups cauliflower florets, chopped into bite size pieces (10 ounce bag)
  • 1 medium apple, diced (1 1/2 – 2 cups)
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced (1/2 cup)
  • 2 celery ribs, diced (1/2 cup)
  • 2–3 green onion, thinly sliced (1/3 cup)
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries (Made In Nature No Sugar Cranberries for Whole30)
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (omit for dairy-free or Whole30)
  • 1/2 cup lightly salted roasted almonds, roughly chopped (may substitute walnuts, pecans, or sunflower seed for nut free, etc.)
For the dressing:

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. Make the dressing: in a small bowl combine the oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Add the mayo and continue to whisk until well combine, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss together all of the salad ingredients – broccoli, cauliflower, apple, red onion, celery, green onion, dried cranberries, feta cheese, and almonds or walnuts.
  3. Add the dressing to the large bowl and toss until well combined. Let salad sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow veggies to marinate in the dressing (optional step but recommended)
  4. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
https://therealfooddietitians.com/apple-broccoli-cauliflower-salad/

Latest posts

Back