Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CD player isn't working in my vehicle and what did I hear at the same time on every preselected station on the radio? "Buy stuff in December" music. It's no longer "holiday" or "Christmas" music. I'm not in the mood for this. What will help me get through the next 6 weeks? I'm going to start stabbing elves, but that won't help. Especially if they look like Legolas.

Mister Robinson...two excellent speeches!

I have had too many conversations with people who want gun restrictions about this topic. When one of the businesses said "No Concealed Carry," person said, "I don't want to go anywhere someone is carrying a gun." Then I tried to tell her that it happens everyday, you just don't notice, and if it were someone who was shooting up the place, you would want someone with CC."

Is it people who live in cities who have such a skewed idea about this? Is it rural people who have a better understanding about how important it is for law abiding citizens to be able to carry?

I live in a rural area but only about 4 miles from town.
I can count the times I have seen a police car on my road on one hand.
I know who will have to deal with the bad guys first and it sure isn't the police.

I'm guessing 15 minutes minimum after the 9-1-1, that you'll have to handle on your own.

I figure between 1 and two hours for any response. I am in the county and there are just a few deputies on the road and they have a lot of area to cover.
My gun is like my American Express card, never leave home without it. Anyone who knows me knows I am carrying. I make it a point to go into stores and restaurants with "no guns" signs to hand the manager a card. The card is one of those internet "no guns, no sales" cards and explains all the background checks and training I have had as well as what checks the bad guys go through.
I don't know that it has made any impressions but I spread the word all the time. after all what good is a sheepdog without teeth? :)

Last edited:
Response time may be 5-10 minutes here. My NH and I have been talking about home defense and me. First thing is the dog. She can act very threatening so we let her. The rest of it...we need plans and training. I need more muscle and strength training.
Saw an excellent video today on self defense for women. I pity the guy who played the attacker.

I am 10-15 minutes away from the police, unless a cruising patrol car happens to be closer. Those guys are singletons, so response to a home invasion might be, um, tentative.

Our County is divided into 4 equal sized zones by the Sheriff. Top left is Zone 1. Zone 1 has the biggest City and that's where the Sheriff's Deputies spend most of their time. Bottom right is Zone 4, the one I live in. When things are slow a Deputy will drive from Zone 1 to 2 to 4 to 3 and back to 1, that's it during a shift. Night shift about 20 minutes for them to response. Morning and afternoon shifts have more traffic to dodge, about 30 minutes.

Yep, LL, if the Martians land on your roof, You're going to have to represent Humanity on your own for awhile. Maybe practice saying "Greetings, Little Green Critturs", so you can do it without laughing. Better you than me. Haven't had much success with diplomacy.

What we've all been saying here is that the guvmint ain't going to be around to do the formalities, whether it's little green men or big dirtbags.

Last evening this guy stayed so still as we came and went bringing in items from the car. He never moved.

46351728_2193789300632897_7822434523299184640_n.jpg

Back