Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby use to like bikes too but after a couple bad wrecks sold his. Last one stripped off his clothes and shoes and laid him up for a few months. But back then he was wild and crazy about speed.
I have been in several cycle mishaps. I know all about road-rash. Currently I have no cycle and maybe that is a good thing.:)

@Weedygarden When my grandmother was young, if they got lice or bedbugs, they would wash their hair and bedding with kerosine. I hadn't heard about the bedposts, but it doesn't surprise me.
I heard that as well. They said when the "threshers' came through, everyone got head lice.

There was a story a decade or more ago where a girl got head lice here in Colorado and they decided to use kerosene to kill them, because that was how it was done before. Somehow, the kerosene caught on fire and the poor child was severely burned.

I heard that as well. They said when the "threshers' came through, everyone got head lice.

There was a story a decade or more ago where a girl got head lice here in Colorado and they decided to use kerosene to kill them, because that was how it was done before. Somehow, the kerosene caught on fire and the poor child was severely burned.

I'll give that a 99.4% chance of being stupidity. Head lice was a rarity when I was a kid ( fortunate that the lice dogs and cats attract are not fond of humans). I recall one of my schoolmates being afflicted. Her social reputation suffered, long term. Small towns can be a bitch to live in. [My senile decrepitude hasn't erased her name, almost certainly because of that incident, though her younger brother was a friendly acquaintance.]

Am at the farm, and service is very slow. Using husband's phone as a hot spot. My phone is a flip phone, so don't know how to take photos and load them. We've been visiting and hanging out. Spending time with mom at Mennonite Manor, meeting with the nurse there, as mom seems to not be remembering well, with a noticeable difference since our last visit. She may be doubling up on her thyroid meds, the only med she has her own access to. We'll see. Otherwise, spending time with my favorite cousins. Just had supper at the Bulls Eye burger place with all of them. School aged Amish have Church School all week in high German, needed especially for the ones that go to the English school and not the Amish one. High German is used in church services, so they need to learn it. A mass of them let out at 7 pm tonight, right after we finished supper. The greenhouse at our farm was redone and new siding put on one of our new outbuildings while we were gone. Looks great. Wheat and oats were just harvested, and am taking home a bunch of both to grind for bread. Corn is doing really well, and is growing on schedule here, unlike eastern Kansas. Lots of soybean in the field right now, too. We are hosting breakfast tomorrow morning, so I'll be up early cooking for a crowd. We went in to the bigger town today and opened up a bank acct and ran errands. Looks like the cows on our property are just now heading to bed. For photos of our community here, there's a website under Yoder, Kansas. It's a beautiful area.

ATGATT: All The Gear, All The Time.
One hot summer day I stopped at a place to eat. I was riding my motorcycle and had on all my protective gear. The owner said it was too hot to dress like I was. I told him I dressed for a crash not the weather. I finally sold the bike because it was no fun having to ride with everyone trying to kill me.

It is! They had some over rain issues, but not like other parts of Kansas. Things look ok here. Corn and soybeans are fine right now. It was dry enough to harvest wheat and oats. Am bringing home 50 lbs each of organic wheat, oat, and hard red wheat to grind for flour. We will be back here next month for a reunion, so I'll bring some flour back. Can't believe my cousins are not using their own grainmill and are buying flour. Crazy. I'll see what's selling at the Farmers Market on Friday, but we are picking and eating some huge tomatoes at my cousins, and also zucchini. Grows better here than in the desert, that's for sure. Also will bring back raw milk. There is a fowl sale here on Friday and family is helping out with the food sales, so I'll be helping out with that. Food proceeds go to the Amish school. The fowl auction is always fun to go to, and there's usually a pig here and there, too. I think for food we're doing hamburgers, soda, chips, pie, and icecream. Husband and I are bringing in the icecream because we can go to town in our truck, buy it, and get it back before it's soup. The farm across from us sold, and there will be a huge farm sale in a few weeks. Too bad it'll be the week before we get back here. Farm auctions are always a good time.

There was a murder outside Deese Lake, BC a few days ago. I drove past the scene today and the crime scene investigators were still processing the scene. When customs found out where I was traveling they warned me to take extra care.

@Caribou there were 3 murders there and they know who did it and are after two young men and apparently two more were killed around 100 km from there too and the police think they are also linked to the other 3 murders. One of the victims was the son of an Australian policeman and his girlfriend was American.

Here is a link to the news report about the murders - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07...hynna-deese-kam-mcleod-bryer-suspect/11340858 .

Last edited:
@Caribou there were 3 murders there and they know who did it and are after two young men and apparently two more were killed around 100 km from there too and the police think they are also linked to the other 3 murders. One of the victims was the son of an Australian policeman and his girlfriend was American.

Here is a link to the news report about the murders - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07...hynna-deese-kam-mcleod-bryer-suspect/11340858 .
Two more who think they areBonnie and Clyde who will wanted go out in a blaze of glory

You'd be a great neighbor, Patchouli
You should come for Yoder Heritage Day...4th Saturday in August. I'll be here. Have guestrooms. Not too far for you
I just looked that up today. It's next month. Kansas looks flat, but Yoder looks charming and Heritage Day looks like fun:)

I made it home.

You've all seen the squirrels wait by the side of the road and then dash across in front of the car at the last second. Things in Canada are bigger and grander. I came over a rise and a moose was standing about 50 meters off the road(they have meters in Canada, who knew). We watched each other when all of a sudden she took off running full tilt towards the road, and my truck. I'm doing 70MPH (it's an American truck), the moose is fast, and there is no time to stop. I swerved into the oncoming lane and laid on the horn. She must have put her head down because she hit me square on the rear wheel cracking the wheel well a bit. I looked in the mirror and saw that she had been thrown across the lane and was completely in the ditch. Either she was dead, the more probable, and there was nothing I could do or she was unconscious and I didn't want to be around when she came to. Either way continuing on my journey was the right thing to do. If I had not moved to the far lane it would have caught me head on and mangled my truck.

She hit me pretty hard and I expected some severe damage but I had to search to find what little there was.

I made it home.

You've all seen the squirrels wait by the side of the road and then dash across in front of the car at the last second. Things in Canada are bigger and grander. I came over a rise and a moose was standing about 50 meters off the road(they have meters in Canada, who knew). We watched each other when all of a sudden she took off running full tilt towards the road, and my truck. I'm doing 70MPH (it's an American truck), the moose is fast, and there is no time to stop. I swerved into the oncoming lane and laid on the horn. She must have put her head down because she hit me square on the rear wheel cracking the wheel well a bit. I looked in the mirror and saw that she had been thrown across the lane and was completely in the ditch. Either she was dead, the more probable, and there was nothing I could do or she was unconscious and I didn't want to be around when she came to. Either way continuing on my journey was the right thing to do. If I had not moved to the far lane it would have caught me head on and mangled my truck.

She hit me pretty hard and I expected some severe damage but I had to search to find what little there was.

:ghostly::green man: to the driving ability.

Good to hear from you.
Sn23igj.gif

What are the odds?
I have been wanting a Sun Oven for a few years now and finally I ordered one ($300)which will be delivered on Tuesday. Today we stopped at a yard sale and they had a Sun Oven for $100. I had never seen a used one for sale before. I almost bought it to give to one of my kids but resisted that urge.

I made it home.

God’s hand was on you that day. I know too many killed by moose impact, and the number of vehicles written off because of deer and bear impact. Bear and pigs bounce off cars and trucks, often writing them off while the critter gets up and walks away

Latest posts

Back