Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Caribou do they have it there so that if you hit a critter, you can call in and go ahead and process the meat. I'm thinking that's a lot of meat.
Glad you weren't hurt and that your rig has so little damage.
I've hit my share of deer, that's for sure.

@Caribou do they have it there so that if you hit a critter, you can call in and go ahead and process the meat. I'm thinking that's a lot of meat.
Glad you weren't hurt and that your rig has so little damage.
I've hit my share of deer, that's for sure.
It happened in Canada and I didn't want the hassle. if you want road kill in Alaska you contact the Troopers and they will call you to come pick up something from the side of the road. You need to be ready with a trailer and winch to pick the carcass up. I imagine that if you hit something that you could keep it.

Glad you are okay @Caribou and great driving.

Here our main problem is kangaroos that you have to spot when driving. If you see them on the side of the road you pump your car horn and they usually head off into the bush rather than in front of you. That depends too as if they are traveling in a group and some are on the other side of the road already they will still cross the road to get to the rest of the group. So far we have missed all of them but you would not like to travel at near sunset/ night time or early morning here when they are most active.

Nice to meet you and glad you are okay. We will be cleaning out a bird nest that got built over our back patio tomorrow. The babies have finally taken wing after their parents building their nest on top of our hanging fan while we were gone for that weekend. Also, gonna pick up an owl decoy to keep any more squatters under the roof!

Nice to meet you and glad you are okay. We will be cleaning out a bird nest that got built over our back patio tomorrow. The babies have finally taken wing after their parents building their nest on top of our hanging fan while we were gone for that weekend. Also, gonna pick up an owl decoy to keep any more squatters under the roof!

Deacon we have had wrens building nest on out porch for 21 years. We first had a shower in on the back porch to wash off after working in yard and woods all day for all those grandkids. had be be careful not to step on their babies.
New porch and they still hang around and we still help them take their babies to the woods now and then

Got up and got the guests fed and checked out. Started to clean and the vacuum died, not good in a B&B so it’s an hour and a half drive each way to nearby city for replacement. Did my homework on line found what I wanted at a store I had to return a tent to. Purchased last week, opened box, saw it wasn’t what we needed and closed box. Interior packing not even opened.

On the drive in saw the remains of a family of ducks splattered all over the highway. It’s a spot where whole duck families cross the highway regularly, usually safely. This family didn’t make it. Silly as it sounds it saddened me. I can kill anything I am going to eat with no problem, but hate waste like that.

First stop in town return the tent. Customer service says no return, exchange only because box opened. I asked how you could see contents without opening box? After long battle got department manger, same story. Things got heated quickly, I finally got a chain wide store credit for full amount. Went to find vacuum ... none in stock although website showed 8. Oh those are in our store on other side of city. Left store in less than happy mood. I was made doubly miserable because I really lost my temper and tore into the department manager ... not a nice Christian witness.

Went to Costco to fill car, it’s a long weekend in Canada, brutally long line ups at pumps. Waited, still unhappy about tent thing. Decide to stop at McDonalds and grab a couple sausages muffins from drive through ... lined up around the block. New plan run to Tim Hortons down the street get something similar. Out of sausage.

In the interim wife texts me, pick up a couple items at Walmart ... on a long weekend, but I’m in town. Grabbed them and headed for the checkout. They have rearranged the tills so they have someone directing traffic... fair enough...only I get sent to a brand new bank of a dozen self serve checkouts. I refuse to use self checkouts because they take away jobs, not great jobs, but jobs none the less. I protest and they have someone run my merchandise through.

Drive across city to other store .... I remembered why I came to town..
None on shelf ... by now I’m vibrating. Friendly staff member comes by (rarity for the chain)looks up the item says we have some upstairs in the warehouse. Returns in a couple of minutes with my vacuum and another to put on shelf. Bonus, in store sale 33% off, so paid for my gas.

Five hours after I left, I come home with vacuum and finish my cleaning. Other than the friendly staff member and sale, a frustrating wasted day.

Meerkat, we had a couple nests on the sides of the roof and it was no problem. This nest got built on top of the fan, right over our table! So no dining for the last few weeks due to droppings! So now that the baby is gone, we can clean up and then get to use the area again!

Got up and got the guests fed and checked out. Started to clean and the vacuum died, not good in a B&B so it’s an hour and a half drive each way to nearby city for replacement. Did my homework on line found what I wanted at a store I had to return a tent to. Purchased last week, opened box, saw it wasn’t what we needed and closed box. Interior packing not even opened.

On the drive in saw the remains of a family of ducks splattered all over the highway. It’s a spot where whole duck families cross the highway regularly, usually safely. This family didn’t make it. Silly as it sounds it saddened me. I can kill anything I am going to eat with no problem, but hate waste like that.

First stop in town return the tent. Customer service says no return, exchange only because box opened. I asked how you could see contents without opening box? After long battle got department manger, same story. Things got heated quickly, I finally got a chain wide store credit for full amount. Went to find vacuum ... none in stock although website showed 8. Oh those are in our store on other side of city. Left store in less than happy mood. I was made doubly miserable because I really lost my temper and tore into the department manager ... not a nice Christian witness.

Went to Costco to fill car, it’s a long weekend in Canada, brutally long line ups at pumps. Waited, still unhappy about tent thing. Decide to stop at McDonalds and grab a couple sausages muffins from drive through ... lined up around the block. New plan run to Tim Hortons down the street get something similar. Out of sausage.

In the interim wife texts me, pick up a couple items at Walmart ... on a long weekend, but I’m in town. Grabbed them and headed for the checkout. They have rearranged the tills so they have someone directing traffic... fair enough...only I get sent to a brand new bank of a dozen self serve checkouts. I refuse to use self checkouts because they take away jobs, not great jobs, but jobs none the less. I protest and they have someone run my merchandise through.

Drive across city to other store .... I remembered why I came to town..
None on shelf ... by now I’m vibrating. Friendly staff member comes by (rarity for the chain)looks up the item says we have some upstairs in the warehouse. Returns in a couple of minutes with my vacuum and another to put on shelf. Bonus, in store sale 33% off, so paid for my gas.

Five hours after I left, I come home with vacuum and finish my cleaning. Other than the friendly staff member and sale, a frustrating wasted day.

Inn that was really one of those days,huh? No sausage but at least you got the vacuum cleaner and at low price.
Far as laying it on the manager I know how you feel I get upset then feel bad and guilty at times too.
The devil made us do it because we are only human,

https://biblehub.com/romans/7-15.htm

Romans 7:15

struggling with Sin
…14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. Forwhat I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I admit that the law is good.…
Berean Study Bible · D

Meerkat, we had a couple nests on the sides of the roof and it was no problem. This nest got built on top of the fan, right over our table! So no dining for the last few weeks due to droppings! So now that the baby is gone, we can clean up and then get to use the area again!

Oh sorry I missed it. Yea Deacon that nest would have to go.
We put up a planter for their nest and they love. Used it for 12 years now. Here in Florida they have two sets a year. :cool:

Meer, I didn't realize you were in Florida. We are in opposite corners. You showed some pix of where your mom grew up - that looked like flatter land. Was that someplace else?

Inn that was really one of those days,huh? No sausage but at least you got the vacuum cleaner and at low price.
Far as laying it on the manager I know how you feel I get upset then feel bad and guilty at times too.
The devil made us do it because we are only human,

https://biblehub.com/romans/7-15.htm

Romans 7:15

struggling with Sin
…14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. Forwhat I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I admit that the law is good.…
Berean Study Bible · D
Yup. I know that. I have preached on it, but sometimes in the moment I forget to apply it to myself.

I did sit and count my blessing when I got home there are many

Every year the swallows make a nest on my porch. I got tired of it and put netting last year where they build their nest. This year I haven't even seen a swallow. Not sure where they went but at least I don't have their mess to clean up.
We have one of those plastic owls. The birds all ignore it. Never worked for me.

@Caribou said about his moose kill
It happened in Canada and I didn't want the hassle. if you want road kill in Alaska you contact the Troopers and they will call you to come pick up something from the side of the road. You need to be ready with a trailer and winch to pick the carcass up. I imagine that if you hit something that you could keep it.

Darned Canadians, always a hassle eh? :rolleyes::p

@Caribou said about his moose kill

Darned Canadians, always a hassle eh? :rolleyes::p
That's just crazy.
I grew up in Alabama and I can promise, that carcass would have been gone before it even got cold.
Probably would need a little tenderizing dead horsebut it would have been eaten.
My brother had an Oldsmobile Delta-88 back in the day and killed three deer with it one year.

That's just crazy.
I grew up in Alabama and I can promise, that carcass would have been gone before it even got cold.
Probably would need a little tenderizing dead horsebut it would have been eaten.
My brother had an Oldsmobile Delta-88 back in the day and killed three deer with it one year.

Pick up road kill in NM and you'll get arrested for poaching and/or harvesting out of season.

In AZ only the person that actually hit the animal can get it and then only if the responding officer gives out a permit. Around me they take all big game road kill and feed them to the wolves to help keep the wolves from eating cattle etc.

That makes more sense than leaving it in the side of the road or hauling it to the dump.

In AZ only the person that actually hit the animal can get it and then only if the responding officer gives out a permit. Around me they take all big game road kill and feed them to the wolves to help keep the wolves from eating cattle etc.
I don't know if we can legally take road killed meat in Iowa. I personally wouldn't, because the animals are usually beat to a pulp. But they would make great coyote bait for hunting under a full moon...:D

Latest posts

Back