Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1580866452879.jpg

I just want some warm weather and some sunshine.

And a chocolate milkshake.

Jim

Haven't seen Caribou in a number of days. Did he post about going somewhere or being away and I missed it?
I haven't seen him much lately. He has been on here and there, but he is definitely not as active recently. This has been going on for a little while. I have wondered what is going on with him as well. I wondered if something happened here that might have offended him, or if something is going on in his life that is keeping him off of the forum?

I don't know where this should go, so here goes...

High point of my day: watching the MIL washing the paper plates we just used so she could put them in the recycling.o_O
I thought the whole point of using paper plates was so you didn't have to wa....nevermind.:rolleyes:
Spend some quality time with older people before they slip away.
Yes, they can still make you laugh:).

High point of my day: watching the MIL washing the paper plates we just used so she could put them in the recycling.o_O
I thought the whole point of using paper plates was so you didn't have to wa....nevermind.:rolleyes:

If the paper plates have a plastic coating, they're no good for the recycling center.

That's just smart!
Reusing stuff is different. I will wash out ziplocks in a heartbeat (especially the good ones).
What I was talking about was:
Wash paper plates and throw them away in garbage can "A",
Or just throw them away in garbage can "B"?
Thinking.gif
(We pay to have both emptied)

Reusing stuff is different. I will wash out ziplocks in a heartbeat (especially the good ones).
What I was talking about was:
Wash paper plates and throw them away in garbage can "A",
Or just throw them away in garbage can "B"?View attachment 35182(We pay to have both emptied)
Oh yea, I caught that. It actually made me laugh. Year before last, we went down to my aunt and uncle's for Tday. My cousin got those plastic plates and silverware that look real. My Gma has been known to wash paper plates and reuse them. The first thing my cousin said was "No Grammy, you can't wash them." I have to admit seeing that much plastic go to the landfill kinda stung a bit. (But no, I don't wash paper plates.). Sometimes you just have to laugh.

I am guilty of washing plastic forks, knives, spoons. Those I reuse. Zip Lock Bags? Depends on what was in them. Something dry and relatively clean? They get reused. Residue from a food product they get pitched.

Washing something I am going to pitch? Not gonna happen. That's why they call it the garbage.

My mom is a weirdo about garbage. She gets weirder every year. They have a garbage and recycling closet in the manor where she lives. She washes her garbage and recycling before putting it in there. She knows what time things are emptied, and crazily checks every little wastebasket and will go to the closet to put in a Kleenex right before pickup. She was eyeing the regular garbage cans the people who live in duplexes have, that are across the road from her. She wanted to put stuff in there so badly. Problem is, she'll save up a lot of her garbage until right before they come. And she saves old newspapers, and cardboard boxes.

My mom is a weirdo about garbage. She gets weirder every year. They have a garbage and recycling closet in the manor where she lives. She washes her garbage and recycling before putting it in there. She knows what time things are emptied, and crazily checks every little wastebasket and will go to the closet to put in a Kleenex right before pickup. She was eyeing the regular garbage cans the people who live in duplexes have, that are across the road from her. She wanted to put stuff in there so badly. Problem is, she'll save up a lot of her garbage until right before they come. And she saves old newspapers, and cardboard boxes.
I save cardboard boxes too. My plan is to break them down for easy storage . . . but I haven't got around to that part yet.

Silly, I know, but it is kind of a hot button for me. I have been fighting with my wife and son for years. Break the doggone thing down and put it into the trash FLAT!!! gaah You can get so much more in the container, but NO. they have to balance them on top, so as soon as you move it everything falls out. Doesn't matter if it is corrugated or chipboard (cereal cartons et al) they are made the same way. It is a truly hopeless cause.

I don't wash paper plates but I do use wax paper instead. Grnddaugter said "thats not a plate ",I flopped a sandwich doen on it and said " it is now". They still mke fun at me about that but it works for chips and other snacks too for fracyion of the price, very versitile. It says right on the box'wax paper'.

Paper plates are a pet peeve of mine. I will not use a paper plate at the dinner table. It isn't that difficult to wash a plate. My wife knows I hate it so I get a regular plate and she uses a paper plate. She does it to make her point and irritate me. Napkins, paper towels or even a paper plate are OK for sandwiches but not sit down meals.
I always breakdown boxes. It's easier to store or trash them.
My wife will reuse seal a meal bags. She also cuts rolls of seal a meal bags just as small as she possibly can. It's a thin line between thrifty and cheap. :)

We use disposable foam plates sometimes for lunches or snacks, especially when we are in a hurry, and sometimes for evening meals when only a small portion of us are eating or we are all in a hurry. It's not uncommon to seat 8+ people at each meal in our house and we already run the dishwasher every single day, sometimes twice a day, and hand wash some dishes on top of that. But we do not use them for sit down evening meals, my wife would never allow it. And when we are done with them they go straight into the trash. Of course Sunday meals means fine china and hand washing everything. We have 4 sets of china for some reason and they have to be rotated through.

Paper plates are a pet peeve of mine. I will not use a paper plate at the dinner table. It isn't that difficult to wash a plate. My wife knows I hate it so I get a regular plate and she uses a paper plate. She does it to make her point and irritate me. Napkins, paper towels or even a paper plate are OK for sandwiches but not sit down meals.
My wife will reuse seal a meal bags. She also cuts rolls of seal a meal bags just as small as she possibly can. It's a thin line between thrifty and cheap. :)

Don't try to use one for a steak. Hubbys brother ate the bottom of the plate out and didn' even realize it till he was done.

We use Strong Chinet paper plates if there is a houseful. Even for Sunday dinner. But real silverware, we never use plastic. Can't cut meat well with plastic.
Mom called this afternoon and complained for an hr about everything...old stuff and new stuff. Then she said she decided to throw out some newspapers that are stacking up and a lady was in the garbage closet waiting to take them. I don't believe her. Mom is nuts.

Good night to all .
@phideaux hope all is ok haven't seen you todday.:huggs:

I grew up with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, actually it was during the changes between radio and television when a lot of people that had radio shows went over to TV.

My wife used to be anal about saving napkins. We would sit down to dinner, and she would give me a half a napkin, which she had torn, and she had the other half. " I hate to waste the paper." Are you kidding me!! After a couple of times I used it to blow my nose, and went and got another WHOLE napkin.

I am not really opposed to paper products. I guess it depends on what I am eating. If it is wet and maybe messy I would prefer a real plate. If it is dry I don't mind paper.

Back