Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing ok,I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel,but I probably shouldn't have said that because I'll probably get hit with a bunch of stuff again :rolleyes:.
How are you doing?

That’s how I feel these days! Don’t say anything like that or the opposite hits hard 🙄
Doing ok. Exhausted. Ready for some down time. Not seeing any anytime soon.

That's not good,you need a vacation ;).

Definitely!
Was supposed to have one last October. Canceled due to an out of control fire right through camp. At least we ended up getting our preference points back.
Was supposed to have one last month. Canceled due to lock down.
Supposed to have one in October..... looks to be Canceled once again due to what I’m sure will be another lockdown. Going to put in anyways just in case and if not file again to get our points back. 🤞🏼

Anyone else notice a very laggy internet today? It's been spotty to the point of weird, certain political sites but not the whole net. Even our forum has been lagging badly at times.

Edit to add... beyond weird. I've had trouble loading pages in our forum since 11am cst.

I make this post and less than 30 seconds later our forum and two other sites start loading perfectly... :oops:

Definitely!
Was supposed to have one last October. Canceled due to an out of control fire right through camp. At least we ended up getting our preference points back.
Was supposed to have one last month. Canceled due to lock down.
Supposed to have one in October..... looks to be Canceled once again due to what I’m sure will be another lockdown. Going to put in anyways just in case and if not file again to get our points back. 🤞🏼
Daggone,sounds like a bunch of bad luck. With all those missed ones they should give you a month off in Tijuana or Cancun 😉

Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh y’all!!!! My baby owls have left the nest and are down in the barn by the hay stacks!!!! They are so ugly they are adorable!!! 3 healthy happy babies!!! If these little ones make it (which they are big enough to now) then we will have 5 successful babies make it to be on their own. We only built the box a few years ago. Rgey sure do make a big dent in the rodent population.

Last edited:
What kind of owls? I haven't heard our neighborhood owls in a while. Hope they come back, I drastically need them.

Barn owls.
We lost our owls years back from west Nile. Took MANY years to see any again so when we did we made a box for them in our hay barn where our male would hang out. We hoped to have babies and help repopulate the area.
Next year he brought home a mate and they successfully raised 2 babies. The following year the female disappeared so no babies just dad hanging out. Last year he brought a new mate home but the babies died. Found one out of the box on the ground (it was to late to save) and the other dead in the box when we cleaned it out. They were very small still. This year 3 babies have been seen and now are to big for the box so I guess they will hang out till their flight feathers finish coming in. Dad‘s been bringing them food tonight so they should make it. Hopefully I’ll get some pictures tomorrow during daylight.

@Patchouli
Not a great picture but this is one of the babies and dad
BC9471C4-0ADD-460F-956F-F103C57D36E1.png

Thank you for doing that. One of my kids loves owls. I asked her to make an owl box but nothing yet. Lol
Is it a common owl nesting box pattern you used? @Double R
We’re happy to have them back.
Dad (Aka Owlen) is so used to us now that we can get hay, take the big tractor out etc without him barely opening an eye during the day.
Let me see if I can find the info for you. We did A TON of research prior to actually making the box. You actually get two boxes out of the supplies. Let me see if I can find it for you. I definitely feel we got the right box. So many others in our area haven’t had success with other designs.

I agree, it was the first place I went, but they show how to clean"like new", replace burner, replace the glass top, but nothing on repurpose.
Knife sharpen can be finished on glass, because it is level & smooth.
Some leather crafts are cut on glass.
Still I do not need any glass for these skills.

Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh y’all!!!! My baby owls have left the nest and are down in the barn by the hay stacks!!!! They are so ugly they are adorable!!! 3 healthy happy babies!!! If these little ones make it (which they are big enough to now) then we will have 5 successful babies make it to be on their own. We only built the box a few years ago. Rgey sure do make a big dent in the rodent population.

Thats great Double R

Well tonight all the years of training came in handy.
Seems the hoodlums have made it out this far.
Shirt version- Sitting in bed and a drive by happened.
Armed up (more) to go check on all the animals that are close to the road.
While out checking the horses closest to the road the trainer from across the road and a client came out and was checking to see if we (I’m the only one home currently) we’re ok. One was already on the phone with the sheriff and I was dialing when the truck came back the other direction. At this point it was probably 10 min later. We were maybe 8 feet tops from the road. They started shooting down the street and I yelled at the two gals who were deer in the headlights to get on the ground. One did but kept her head up and the other started crazy running for our little trees. I screamed at her to get on the ground now (didn’t exactly use appropriate language 😱) And she finally hit the dirt. I told them both to get their heads on the ground and they finally listened just as the truck passed us. The second shooting was all while we were on the phones with the sheriff department so it’s all recorded I’m sure.
Can’t believe this has come this far out now.
Now I’m being told Antifa is targeting “white people” in our area and have addresses to hit.
Y’all please say prayers for my neighbors, me and my family.

OMG... Prayers for you and yours! Watches 24/7 if you have the people... 12 on 12 off if you are short handed, someone always awake...

This is just dumb... What? They are trying to flip the vote in CA to the dems? duh!

Keep us posted.

Thank you peanut. My husband works nights and I clearly can’t sleep tonight so I’m not sure how this will work out.
just got an update from the tiny town above us and they have closed all their stores. Supposed to be hitting them tomorrow. Hard to believe they would come this far out but maybe they know they have all the power in this state. We have no right to defend ourselves.

Prayers absolutely. May your land and animals, neighbors and theirs, you, all be kept under His watchful, powerful, and loving eyes and hands.
Thank you very much. Things have quieted down for the moment in our area. Far enough out I guess. Did find out the same thing happened a road over also. Sounds like the same people. They only got “hit” once.
Scanner app on my phone is non stop tonight. So sad to listen to this. All these businesses being destroyed as if a lot weren’t already on the verge of closing after Covid and Newsome.
I don’t know how our poor officers are keeping up. They must have more than normal on duty. Was under an hour before they got here after the second drive by shooting and that’s super fast for them.
Still can’t relax though. Probably a good thing I guess. Just not something we’d ever expect in our little country town.

Prayers ongoing, I asked my girls too as well. This is horrible.
I have a killer headache, trying to get that under control.
Double R I can't imagine your worries. The trouble nearest to us is not very far at all, but there's plenty between here and there to keep trouble at bay. I heard that what started out as peaceful, turned to worse, but I haven't seen anything else online.

Prayers ongoing, I asked my girls too as well. This is horrible.
I have a killer headache, trying to get that under control.
Double R I can't imagine your worries. The trouble nearest to us is not very far at all, but there's plenty between here and there to keep trouble at bay. I heard that what started out as peaceful, turned to worse, but I haven't seen anything else online.
Thank you to you all
I’m sorry about your headache. Those are no fun at all.
Really glad you guys are safe.
Some of the bigger towns are on lockdown and still out of control. Never thought it would extent to these areas. I heard I5 freeway was shutdown again this evening by “protestors”. My family has all agreed to not leave their homes until this all settles down. Have to go to the bigger cities to shop. Thankfully we’re all ok on food and supplies.
I’ve learned most of what’s going on “near by” because my sister has social media and is part of “local” groups. She texts me updates as she reads them.

Well tonight all the years of training came in handy.
Seems the hoodlums have made it out this far.
Shirt version- Sitting in bed and a drive by happened.
Armed up (more) to go check on all the animals that are close to the road.
While out checking the horses closest to the road the trainer from across the road and a client came out and was checking to see if we (I’m the only one home currently) we’re ok. One was already on the phone with the sheriff and I was dialing when the truck came back the other direction. At this point it was probably 10 min later. We were maybe 8 feet tops from the road. They started shooting down the street and I yelled at the two gals who were deer in the headlights to get on the ground. One did but kept her head up and the other started crazy running for our little trees. I screamed at her to get on the ground now (didn’t exactly use appropriate language 😱) And she finally hit the dirt. I told them both to get their heads on the ground and they finally listened just as the truck passed us. The second shooting was all while we were on the phones with the sheriff department so it’s all recorded I’m sure.
Can’t believe this has come this far out now.
Now I’m being told Antifa is targeting “white people” in our area and have addresses to hit.
Y’all please say prayers for my neighbors, me and my family.

What state is this DoubleR? I hope your careful and time for community to get together.

Back