Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a photo of me for you to have fun with. You get to guess my age in this photo. Once there are a few guess, I'll post how old I am in that photo and some information about it.

View attachment 63417
73 years old (If I'm not the closest, I might as well be the furthest :cool: ) I would have guessed the 20ish mark.

That house behind me was built after I was married and living in Denver area. I brought my 5 month old daughter down here (AL) to see my parents new home 1979 about October.
I was born in Aug 1952. That would put me right at 28.
I would not be sure except for that house. So I've always been young looking, but didn't realize how much until I saw that photo last evening.

And @LadyLocust, I'll be 69 end of summer. (And I don't believe but about 30 years of it.)

That house behind me was built after I was married and living in Denver area. I brought my 5 month old daughter down here (AL) to see my parents new home 1979 about October.
I would not be sure except for that house. So I've always been young looking, but didn't realize how much until I saw that photo last evening.

And @LadyLocust, I'll be 69 end of summer. (And I don't believe but about 30 years of it.)
Did I win?

Ben

Ugh. How long have you been a smoker? I believe that smoking is a very difficult addiction to quit. I knew a man dying from lung cancer, and his wife was livid that he was still smoking. She didn't understand the addiction and that he was already fighting for his life. Best to you squirrelhunter.
I've been smoking 44 years.

I'm getting to old for all these health issues.when it rains it pours. 1 surgeon says he's not doing surgery on 1 area but the next day another doctor calls about another area saying that part of me needs to see another surgeon. I tell you,I'm making a lot of different doctors richer with all these appointments and tests. 🤣🤣

Weaning time?
No, he runs a bull year round. He does have a few calves ready for market, noticed them a couple of weeks ago.

I went back out an hour after my post. The cows had calmed down some. Neither time did I hear coyotes.

Checked again a few minutes ago, all is quiet. So, still unsure what was up. We had bad weather come through about supper time, might be a tree down, injured cow...

I'll hear about it tomorrow if it could affect the cattle here.

Megs - land shark- destructo dog is coming on slowly.
Yeah, it was a really, really rocky start but she's slowly getting with the program.
I got a remote shock collar and THAT she respects...eventually.
Crate training paid off and all the temper tantrums, destroyed crates, "accidents" were kinda worth it.
Let's put it this way.....since the nightly crate lock downs nothing else in the house has been destroyed during the night.
Now I just have to fix and or replace the LONG...LONNNNGGGGG list of things she broke.

Her guard instincts have kicked in.
WOW.
Girlfriend is ready for war at the slightest noise.
Be it the crackhead next door coming too close to the fence or a butterfly landing on a handrail of the back steps...not even slighty kidding about that one...she aint having it. At all.
Oh well, that's why I got her and maybe it'll justify the huge repair bill I'm left with trying to get her to this point.

Baby has left the nest. Mom on the left, dad in the middle, baby on the right.
4742BC4B-8642-42A8-A54B-9643BD3D0D82.jpeg

That's a big baby. Are you sure it's not his secret girlfriend?

Yep! Positive!
It stayed in the box longer than most before have. But then there was only 1 this time so it had room to stay. It’s very baby fluffish still. Very cute. Only been out a few days. We’ll see if any others hatched and died when we clean the box out after the season.

Here’s a thread for random hanging out!
No politics! Random conversation welcome!
Have fun!
Ok, RR, you asked for it! Saw this on FB today:

by:
Stephen Kroeger

I mowed the lawn today, and after doing so
I sat down and had a cold beer.
The day was really quite beautiful, and the drink facilitated some deep thinking.
My wife walked by and asked me what I was doing,
and I said, "Nothing."
The reason I said "nothing" instead of saying "just thinking" is because she then would have asked, "About what?"
At that point I would have had to explain that men are deep thinkers about various topics, which would lead to other questions.
Finally I pondered an age old question: Is giving birth more painful than getting kicked in the nuts?
Women always maintain that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts, but how could they know?
Well, after another beer, and some more heavy deductive thinking, I have come up with an answer to that question.
Getting kicked in the nuts is more painful than having a baby, and even though I obviously couldn't really know, here is the reason for my conclusion:
A year or so after giving birth, a woman will often say, "It might be nice to have another child."
But you never hear a guy say, "You know, I think I would like another kick in the nuts."
I rest my case.
Time for another beer. Then maybe a nap.

Tonight I ran across an article on a state news outlet. They published a list from the state board of health. Over 60 businesses were closed this summer for health code violations. I was surprised by some closures…

Like 3 Daycare Centers closed for “no hot water”. I bet the owners bought water heaters within the hour.

A Family Dollar was closed for “rodent infestation”. But in the entire state only one Bbq joint got shut down and that was for operating a mobile unit without a license. The best bbq joints usually look the worst. You could scrap the tar off the walls from the all smoke.

All the National/regional fast food chains took a hit, usually more than one, micky D's, burgerkang, even a Denny's. Notable exceptions... Long John Silvers, Captain D's and Red Lobster didn't make the list. Hmmmm. The only seafood place on the list was a small oyster house near Mobile. If this is a national trend I'll be looking for fish fast food next road trip I'm on.

I was actually surprised that not a single Waffle House made the list. I've been in some dirty Waffle House's, one I'll never forget...

The split was even between Mexican and Asian food, 7 each. Some had the ominous reason listed as “Score below 60”. What? They had too many things to list?

5 sushi restaurant got closed, I didn’t know there were that many in the state.

2 restaurants I’ve eaten at. One was a Asian food truck I complained about in the “whats for dinner” thread months ago. Everything about the meal I had was pitiful, there was nothing they served me that I couldn’t cook far better, they should stay shutdown.

Another was a road side diner I’ve eaten at several times. It was on the way back from one of the stock yards where I used to sell cattle. They only had one item listed… No manhole cover over grease tank. Heck, some kid probably stole it.

Okay, my waffle house story... I was repairing a Catscan in Atlanta and had to get a hotel room an hour away (NFL game in town). I was exhausted and hungry, it was late and I could walk to the restaurant from my hotel.

I could tell they'd had a dinner rush, some dishes still on tables but the staff was busy putting things back in order, not a lot of trash on the floor either. Looked okay...

Finally my waitress hurried over, said they'd just had a huge ballgame crowd... Said one customer knocked her tray of drinks all over her. She was wet... said the worst were her shoes full of soda!

She takes my order, brings my water and silverware... while I'm waiting I sat looking around.

Then I saw them... 2 Dr. Shoals shoe liners... used, could see toe prints in them. A womans foot, evidently from the shoes of my waitress.... They were hanging off the top edge of the juice dispenser, drying...Used shoe liners hanging off the juice dispenser!!! :oops:

Well, I was still hungry and too tired to go anywhere else. I just watched the cook like a hawk and was thankful I didn't order any juice!

Last edited:
@Peanut there was a Chinese restaurant we didn't eat at anymore back east. Health department opened up the restaurant's big freezer and found the main source of their meat dishes.
Most had noticed that the population of stray cats in that area of town had gone down.
The restaurant was closed down permanently.

She takes my order, brings my water and silverware... while I'm waiting I sat looking around.

Then I saw them... 2 Dr. Shoals shoe liners... used, could see toe prints in them. A womans foot, evidently from the shoes of my waitress.... They were hanging off the top edge of the juice dispenser, drying...Used shoe liners hanging off the juice dispenser!!! :oops:

Well, I was still hungry and too tired to go anywhere else. I just watched the cook like a hawk and was thankful I didn't order any juice!

Stuff does happen. But yeah, I think I'd not have ordered juice. ;)

On the various restaurants, it does kinda make you wonder whether there is an "agenda" at work, whether certain places are given a pass while others are treated way more harshly. Wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. Dunno.

It's hard to find a decent restaurant anymore. And most chains are so bad I'm about half on the fence as to whether skipping a meal entirely might be the better option in most cases.

I am late to the party, but I would have guessed 12, but we are kindred spirits from the class of '52.

Latest posts

Back