Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So cool Angie. My wife played flute in HS as well. She takes a pause everytime she hears one. Marshall Tucker Band was her favorite, and Jethro Tull of course.
I got sent to Vienna Austria for a past job and she came to visit while I was there. We took a weekend and traveled to Salzburg. While walking around the city we heard some music playing and went to it. Turns out it was 4 guys from Peru playing much like these 2 guys. We spent better than an hour listening to them. Same type instruments

I’m a plumber who works on existing high rise remodeling projects in Charlotte NC. I install Charlotte Pipe cast iron for all our sanitary piping. I can hear the Charlotte Pipe foundry from my apartment which operates 24hr. a day. I appreciate businesses owners who build their company on a Godly foundation like the company I work for now. Charlotte Pipe is moving.
6FE962A4-BB86-4085-8415-35D99783BC92.jpeg

04CC0381-6EA6-46FC-B2F3-EBEAFE2CC71D.jpeg

I love this ❤️ Amen Charlotte Pipe!

And you as well. I had a quiet day. Had reason to pull out a tree field guide to look something up, started thumbing through it. I'd forgotten there were 20 species of oaks growing in the area. Granted 5 or 6 of them are rare locally.

Last edited:
@Peanut Thank you 🤗
I didn’t even know there was 20 species of oaks total! That’s very cool! We have a VERY old oak in our yard. It’s one of my favorite trees in our yard that the old school teacher treasured. It’s still going strong today. Wish it gave us acorns so we could start another to take with us when we move.

All the oaks in the eastern US are in the red oak family or the white oak, 39 species total. Same for CA except you guys have a 3rd family called Gold Oaks.

In FFA as a youngster I was on the forestry judging team. Then there were only 17 oaks here (guess the botanist fairy came to visit). I had to learn way over 100 tree species. I learned to "cruise timber", a way to walk over acreage and at the same time to get an accurate estimate of the board feet per acre. I remember we used a square measure stick with special markings to measure trees at distance... Ha, hadn't thought of this in years.

Last edited:
Had an Agriculture guy tell me that there are eight true oak trees in North America, all the others are hybrids, not that it matters to most of us.
I can not figure out how they know that, DNA maybe, that is how corn was traced back to wild grass still growing in Mexico.

All the oaks in the eastern US are in the red oak family or the white oak, 39 species total. Same for CA except you guys have a 3rd family called Gold Oaks.

In FFA as a youngster I was on the forestry judging team. Then there were only 17 oaks here (guess the botanist fairy came to visit). I had to learn way over 100 tree species. I learned to "cruise timber", a way to walk over acreage and at the same time to get an accurate estimate of the board feet per acre. I remember we used a square measure stick with special markings to measure trees at distance... Ha, hadn't thought of this in years.

Buddy of mine was a state forester for years. Crusing timber was part of his job. I recall him using the square (i called it a yard stick) to measure trees with. It was very accurate, as long as the tree was solid.

Last edited:

I took a biology class in college that was very similar. We had to learn all the flora and fauna of the Sororan Desert. The final exam was a slide show. One of the exercises was plotting out a one hundred yard square and identifying (and plotting) every plant inside it. I can still name every cactus, tree, and animal in that area. Best college course I ever took.

Buddy of mine was a state forester for years. Crusing timber was part of his job. I recall him using the square (i called it a yard stick) to measure trees with. It was very accurate, as long as the tree was solid.

Yeah, it did look like a yard stick, about the same length. I was surprised by accurate people could be determining how much lumber was on a tract of land.

Next time you see him, ask your buddy the proper name of the stick and where they may be purchased. I'd like to get one. After 45yrs I doubt I can remember how to use it but it's be fun to try.

Jeez, it's been 45 years! I was also on the dairy cattle team. I'd walk through a herd then evaluate and score marked cattle. It wasn't easy with cows moving around in a corral. Then my scores would be compared to the scores by an expert for each cow.

If your dad was rich you got on the beef cattle judging team. Yes, politics exist in the FFA. That always pi#$%# me off. That team was just bad, those guys wouldn't know a good head of beef if it bit them on a$%. They never even placed in competition with other teams. My team made it all the way to the regional finals. And we were better with beef than dairy! Never got a chance to show it...

Last edited:
Hubby and I are in the middle of a "Lord of the Rings" marathon, almost 10pm, can't make it!! Tomorrow night, watch a bit more!! Good night!!😊💗
When that came out, I saw part of one of them & it just stopped. Movie over, finito, done. I asked what happened. Did he get the ring? You have to wait until the next one. But what if I get hit by a bus tomorrow? I'll never know. I still don't, never saw another one. I'm not good with movies. I've seen parts of quite a few but don't usually sit still long enough and most don't keep my attention very well (there are a few exceptions.)

Husband likes to pick a series and we watch it. One during lunch (about 45 min), sometimes two after dinner, till we're done with it. Right now it's the 100. Started watching it a long time ago but they got a little hinky with the gay stuff, so stopped watching it. Now there's seven seasons. Wow. We'll skip over the hinky stuff.

When that came out, I saw part of one of them & it just stopped. Movie over, finito, done. I asked what happened. Did he get the ring? You have to wait until the next one. But what if I get hit by a bus tomorrow? I'll never know. I still don't, never saw another one. I'm not good with movies. I've seen parts of quite a few but don't usually sit still long enough and most don't keep my attention very well (there are a few exceptions.)
There are VERY few movies I'll sit and watch! Only this time of year when it's dark early, otherwise I'm outside!!

There are VERY few movies I'll sit and watch! Only this time of year when it's dark early, otherwise I'm outside!!
We finished the Hobbit trilogy and started The Fellowship of the Ring on Saturday night and topped of the night with BACON! eggs and hash browns. It is an annual tradition for us.

Ben

Latest posts

Back