Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ClemKadiddlehopper Now that’s the way to do it! We’ve been talking about having the big stuff hauled by a trucking company but not sure anyone will even do it in this state anymore so that’s something we will need to check into when we know where we’re going to end up.
The sea containers are a good idea. Probably 100 times more expensive here than anywhere else but will check into that. We were discussing the PODS. My aunt still has 3 at their yard in her new home state. They will deliver them to her place to unload when her house is built. We were thinking load and go and have them delivered right to the property for off load. I’m just really not sure about someone else hauling most of what we own. Haven’t had good luck even getting our big tractor hauled through all the lemon drama. Maybe if we can find outta state haulers willing to pickup here after an offload.
Thanks Clem!

Medium to largish companies will work out who can haul what, when if you just give them time to do so.

Trucking companies can and will haul just about anything. Also they have lines to independents looking for loads. If you ship your big tractor, don't forget to fill the loader as well. That's a great place for all the oil, grease, chains shovels ect. Measure the under carriage height and you would be surprised at how many totes you can get under a tractor.

Start talking to them now and get a feel for who to work with. They really don't tend to PO potential customers for down the line, and the good ones will work with you if you have patience. Many are on the road or loading/ unloading and can take a week to have a conversation.

Pod service wasn't available to where I was moving. Also, if you have your own containers, the new place needs to have room to unload them from the trucks.

@ClemKadiddlehopper Good ideas. Now that we haven’t run off the realtor by telling her we’re from CA and don’t know what we’re doing 😂 We will look Into the trucking end a bit more.

They’re isn’t much to PODS. Each one we got was different inside. Like people modify them for their own use but don’t take the modifications out. The plus is they haul them and will store them at temperature controlled facilities if needed. They are insured also. The shipping container is a good idea except I'm not sure how things like wood would do I them. My hubby has been thinking shipping containers already apparently.

Pods weren't around when I moved often or I'd have certainly used them. I once moved from VA to AL to NY to riverside CA to Santa Clarita CA in 6 months for work. I was tired of packing a uhaul.

Household items like off season clothes or other small stuff would do well in a climate controlled building for a month or two. Depending on the situation it might be necessary.

That’s a lot of moving! This will be our first official move. Hope it to be our last.
We’ve been discussing upgrading our stock trailer before we move. Would mean less loads of the animals and better reliability for the long hauls. Would most likely use that as our uhaul also if we don’t get pods or containers. Could always sell if once everything is done if we really don’t need one that big “there”. Feel much better about being able to make a few trips myself after talking with the realtor today.

The weather has been a consideration for us going and seeing the areas etc for ourselves. Also ranch care while we’re gone has become an issue. The realtor said she has people who buy without ever being there so that may end up what happens. Time will tell I guess.
No I don’t think we’ve had an update on that. If there is I missed it

Just remember I-80 is long and cold this time of year. I drove it once in winter, not a lot of fun.

Have we heard back from the lady who was driving to WA state with a trailer? Did she make it okay?
Lilmissy, guess all went well, she posted in "preparations update" a few days ago!

The weather has been a consideration for us going and seeing the areas etc for ourselves. Also ranch care while we’re gone has become an issue. The realtor said she has people who buy without ever being there so that may end up what happens. Time will tell I guess.
No I don’t think we’ve had an update on that. If there is I missed it
Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't want to buy any property I hadn't laid eyes and set foot on. Too many things could be overlooked or not as they seem. Maybe that's just me. And I understand your circumstances would be much different than mine as well

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't want to buy any property I hadn't laid eyes and set foot on. Too many things could be overlooked or not as they seem. Maybe that's just me. And I understand your circumstances would be much different than mine as well

We will definitely cross that bridge when it comes. I feel the same way although I have to admit I feel a bit less stress over it now after talking to the realtor and her explaining the options. We can “see it” via face chat or whatever first. She will go there and we can get an idea. I figure if it’s something we are very interested in then we will make the trip. Probably me driving and hubby flying later when I get there. Very hard situation we’re in with the animals and his job. Somehow lord willing we will make it happen.

We made our move to where we are with PODS. Six of the big ones. Albuquerque was shut down at the time, beginning of covid, so everything had to go. Couldn't do a garage sale, and couldn't drop off at thrift stores. It was way expensive, but the only way myself and grandkids could handle it. The last drive out to here was in our loaded pickup truck with a uhaul attached. We had our other cars (2) and a Harley transported by a car hauler.

Ours did ok, the broken stuff was minimal and due to our sloppy packing. I mostly had child labor helping me pack, so oh well. The minute a pod got to our farm, our cousins unpacked it and put it in one of our big outbuildings. So five of them arrived before we did, and the last one a few days after. I still have about 30 boxes to go through. We didn't use their storage service. And the car and motorcycle delivery service went smooth. I wonder if they'll do tractors? It was called Montway. Another one that seemed that they might be good, but didn't use was Roadrunner.

Ha Ha they would, just for the trip knowing them. Big mistake in loading, though, we have a number of oak free standing shelves, and instead of taking the actual shelf off, they stacked heavy boxes on them. That didn't work out well, and three shelf units broke. But beggars can't be choosers. Basically one pod was food storage and food preparation items, like canners, jars, etc. Ran out of unloading room in the very big outbuilding, so they started putting food bins in the basement. Put a wood piece over the stairs going down and slid the heavy bins. It was an interesting move, for sure.

@Double R Not meaning to butt into your moving conversation but we have done it a lot. 2 times (out of our 16 married moves) we were looking for a bunch of land with or without a house - so up here called "raw" land (WI) and without any utilities on-site. We started looking at 10 acres and ended up with 50 acres. MY DH said we looked in every county that was 3.5 hours or less from Waukesha where his folks are. We used really great realtors but did not make them come see all the parcels. They offered but no need.

We walked 40 raw properties in about 5 months (1 which I refused to get out of the car as the realtor's note said "watch out for bears") and I didn't want a lot of bear encounters. We found there are LOTS of reasons why it is inadvisable to buy withou walking the entire property. I know you said you would not be comfortable doing it without seeing the land/house and our experiences back that up 100%
Of the 40 parcels
1 had a very easy to see large "sheen" on a small but undisclosed seasonal waterway. We could see metal containers (oil? gasoline? who knows).
1 was fabulous acreage until we found the barrels pushed over part of the ravine that were leaking. Current owner was clueless-had never walked out there apparently (it was well hidden).
1 had 4 pitbulls from the neighboring property come straight at us from about an acre away. Even had a way through the fence - no one to help us but we luckily smelled like our dogs so they 'let us' leave.

We wanted to build facing true south for a full solar array next to the house (roof top mounts mean loss of use in snows that stick and hey, it is WI) So each property had to have at least 3-4 clear acres or acres that could be cleared. Off we went to so many that had "protected" areas spread throughout but not on the MLS sheet or disclosed online, so no tree cutting where we would need to do so.

Wetlands! Oh my stars. That can be a real boondogggle at least here in WI. Many pieces were 'wet' at certain times of the year and had the wetland plants and I am not willing to fight that battle.

Ended up on 50 pretty spectacular acres and yes, part of it is 'environmentally restricted" in some fashionsbut the county allowed us to just cut the acre we needed to get full 365 day sun for the panels. The restrictions are totally valid- huge 90' rise behind our building site keeps the north winds off our house but are of the type of stone underlayment that joy riding the bluff with ATV or snowmobiles would distintegrate in no time. We had a trail laid in on the other 40 acres so no worry.

Ok, just wanted to let you know how it can happen with no fault of a realtor or even the current owners. YMMV

Last edited:
@Solar Geek Not butting in at all! All
Info is welcome and appreciated! Thank you!
We were initially looking at raw land and build a house but the prices just didn’t make sense. Buying something with a home, outbuildings and at least perimeter fences was far cheaper AND with the current issues with building and supplies we decided that was the way we would go. I would much rather buy open land but that’s not financially possible.

I have seen a POD first hand but understand they just a step up from cardboard. Security could be an issue depending on the neighborhood.

Ben
That was my feeling, looked like plastic tarp over thin plywood with a flimsy door that looks like it could easily be breached. Give me a good strong metal container and I'd feel much more secure.

My old dog is having a hard time the last couple of days! She has Wobbler's Syndrome and is having a hard time getting around. She's not in pain, just can't use her legs properly. She falls and looks at me like "why can't I do this anymore"! It breaks my heart! I know she doesn't have many days left!☹️

I was in Arkansas a couple years ago outside of Fayetteville, out in the country, staying at a friend’s…they had a few acres, stream running through it… but across the road was a dairy farm for sale. It was April, and everything seemed so green and lush. Nice area.

Latest posts

Back