Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your preaching to the choir on regretting life choices. I’m trying to focus on can’t change them now let’s just move on and make better ones. Easier said than done but still trying.
We found a place we both love but there’s something off about it. Found previous listing prices for it that are odd. It seems to be worth far less than they are asking but didn’t sell at those prices and have been listed quite a bit. They are asking way to much for it now though so we’re waiting to see what it does. If the price was better we could afford to add more outbuilding and we would love to buy it. If it’s meant to be it will buy right?
Called the hopefully new finance lady this afternoon. Haven’t heard back yet so maybe tomorrow. That’s the next step I guess is get pre approval.

That’s the thing. We can’t see any increase in the taxes etc. No talk of improvements. Just seems like maybe they are wanting to take advantage of the “panic” buyers. Their price was extremely high compared to previous listings of the place that didn’t even sell. Maybe once we’re pre approved and ready for that next step we will have the realtor look into it further

My old dog is having a hard time the last couple of days! She has Wobbler's Syndrome and is having a hard time getting around. She's not in pain, just can't use her legs properly. She falls and looks at me like "why can't I do this anymore"! It breaks my heart! I know she doesn't have many days left!☹
Sorry to hear that Pearl. Same thing happened to our old Golden at the end. Its a sad thing without a doubt

That’s the thing. We can’t see any increase in the taxes etc. No talk of improvements. Just seems like maybe they are wanting to take advantage of the “panic” buyers. Their price was extremely high compared to previous listings of the place that didn’t even sell. Maybe once we’re pre approved and ready for that next step we will have the realtor look into it further
Have you made an offer on it yet? I have never paid asking price yet for property.

My old dog is having a hard time the last couple of days! She has Wobbler's Syndrome and is having a hard time getting around. She's not in pain, just can't use her legs properly. She falls and looks at me like "why can't I do this anymore"! It breaks my heart! I know she doesn't have many days left!☹
Im so sorry to hear about your old dog. We had to put our best friend Gus down in October. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. And I'm not ashamed to say I still cry whenever I think of him. We got Gus from a breeder in Mississippi and flew him to Alaska at 10 weeks old. For the next 13 years he was constantly by my side. Towards the end he had problems walking, and breathing, and would look to me for help going up or down the steps. I was glad and proud that I was there to help him when he needed it. The last thing he did was look at me and lick my hand. Then he was gone.
Enjoy every last minute that you can with her.

Sorry to hear that Pearl. Same thing happened to our old Golden at the end. Its a sad thing without a doubt

It's always hard. Like losing a member of the family. Last time we had to do it we put down two 24 hours apart. The vet was shocked. When we walked in she was expecting to see one dog, and we had the other. Next day we were back. Really tough on my wife. She was very attached to those two. Prayers and thoughts are with you. I know how hard it is.

Im so sorry to hear about your old dog. We had to put our best friend Gus down in October. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. And I'm not ashamed to say I still cry whenever I think of him. We got Gus from a breeder in Mississippi and flew him to Alaska at 10 weeks old. For the next 13 years he was constantly by my side. Towards the end he had problems walking, and breathing, and would look to me for help going up or down the steps. I was glad and proud that I was there to help him when he needed it. The last thing he did was look at me and lick my hand. Then he was gone.
Enjoy every last minute that you can with her.
The Wobblers got bad over the summer and she has good and bad times. Last night was not good, this morning she's a lot better. It's a daily touch and go! She's my buddy!💗

No. Not yet. Once we get everything done with the pre approval we may have the realtor look into it. I suspect there’s a reason for it’s history and it’s for sale with contingencies.

Realtors, just like bankers are not your friend. There are some good ones that really try to do right by you, but at the end two don't get paid if you don't buy. Read into that what you will, but question everything. The high price might only be a newly minted realtor hoping to get rich quick and hoping for a buy first look later sale.

A good realtor will place a crap load of get of jail free cards in your offer and you should not be afraid to add more, even if they don't really matter. One of those will let you out of the contract if you find a nasty surprise that everyone missed and that you can't live with or reasonably fix. We found a lot of "undocumented dumps" on farms. Guess who will get dinged for any environmental cleanup orders.

Even if you are approved financially, subject to financing should still be on there.

I am going to be a wet blanket and suggest you also be very straight with the bank as to what type of property you want to buy. Quite a few banks will not give you a mortgage to buy a farm no matter how good your finances. You may have to look for other sources, but they are out there.

Make sure that there are no restrictions on the deed. For example, If the old owners cows kept getting out and crapping on the neighbors lawn, they might have gotten a restriction on animals placed on the deed itself. Could be a real hassle to get something like that removed.

Realtors, just like bankers are not your friend. There are some good ones that really try to do right by you, but at the end two don't get paid if you don't buy. Read into that what you will, but question everything. The high price might only be a newly minted realtor hoping to get rich quick and hoping for a buy first look later sale.

A good realtor will place a crap load of get of jail free cards in your offer and you should not be afraid to add more, even if they don't really matter. One of those will let you out of the contract if you find a nasty surprise that everyone missed and that you can't live with or reasonably fix. We found a lot of "undocumented dumps" on farms. Guess who will get dinged for any environmental cleanup orders.

Even if you are approved financially, subject to financing should still be on there.

I am going to be a wet blanket and suggest you also be very straight with the bank as to what type of property you want to buy. Quite a few banks will not give you a mortgage to buy a farm no matter how good your finances. You may have to look for other sources, but they are out there.

Make sure that there are no restrictions on the deed. For example, If the old owners cows kept getting out and crapping on the neighbors lawn, they might have gotten a restriction on animals placed on the deed itself. Could be a real hassle to get something like that removed.
Every bit of "cover your bases" is always good to hear! The more homework you do the better!! I live by that saying! Good advice Clem!

In most states the realtor works for the seller not the buyer. I always get a real estate lawyer involved before I sign anything. They work for me, cost way less than a realtor, know all the right questions to ask and will press your side. I would rather pay a lawyer $500 than 7% to a realtor.

10pm!! Hubby made the dog a bigger step/platform so she can get on the bed♥️! Was easier for me to help her. She would panic herself to death if she couldn't sleep with me! Glad he cares so much!! Going to bed for a bit. Cold again so will need to feed the wood stove later! Good night my friends.......

Realtors, just like bankers are not your friend. There are some good ones that really try to do right by you, but at the end two don't get paid if you don't buy.
A friend lost her husband last April. Her plan is to sell their home and move to Northern Colorado to be closer to her children. The realtor that she hired is fairly young, and works under an agent. She finally realized that they had a plan to get her home from her, way under market value with all kinds of b.s. related to it. Things went missing in her home, small things, during open houses. How to prove who did what and what can she do about small things? She couldn't get the keys back from the realtor.

A friend lost her husband last April. Her plan is to sell their home and move to Northern Colorado to be closer to her children. The realtor that she hired is fairly young, and works under an agent. She finally realized that they had a plan to get her home from her, way under market value with all kinds of b.s. related to it. Things went missing in her home, small things, during open houses. How to prove who did what and what can she do about small things? She couldn't get the keys back from the realtor.
Ugh.
She can have the locks changed.

Ugh.
She can have the locks changed.
Yes. I suggested this to her, but she didn't want to be bothered, said just the lock for one is $150, plus labor. One security door has an odd kind of lock on it, that is broken. I have changed out locks on my place a few times, so I know it is not really difficult. I looked at hers and knew it was not something I should mess with. I do not know about her finances, but she must have some concerns since her husband died. I do know that they have not done upgrades and updating like I have in my home. Kitchen flooring must be 50+ years old.
My suggestion was to drive to the realtors office without notifying him that she was coming. My guess was that he was going to get copies made of her keys. I had the locks changed on my place when I bought it. Actually, I changed them, even though the place had been vacant for a few years.

We had a rental 4 bedroom house in Albuqerque near the University that we rented out rooms in. When we decided to sell it, and the agent was showing it, someone came in at night and took the washer and dryer. They were both new, we had just replaced them. We should of changed the locks, because I'm guessing it was one of the room renters.

Saw this at WM yesterday... I'm always astonished when someone loses a front hub. Are they hearing impaired? Have no feeling in their arms? How does a hub fail without the driver knowing something serious was wrong days before it happened?

I've had two hubs fail when driving, on a tractor and a truck. In both cases my only surprise was that it took so long!

It's not like this is an Indy car crashing at 230mph when a hub failed. Its a pickup cutting across the parking lot.

Oh, the white building in the far distance. They call it the multiplex, its also where the farmers market is located. I've sold tons of peaches at that place.

View attachment 78803
Back when the world was somewhat younger, Chrysler Corp was using a torsion bar suspension. Guessing there was a metal fatigue thing, because some of them failed like that.

Saw this at WM yesterday... I'm always astonished when someone loses a front hub. Are they hearing impaired? Have no feeling in their arms? How does a hub fail without the driver knowing something serious was wrong days before it happened?

I've had two hubs fail when driving, on a tractor and a truck. In both cases my only surprise was that it took so long!

It's not like this is an Indy car crashing at 230mph when a hub failed. Its a pickup cutting across the parking lot.

Oh, the white building in the far distance. They call it the multiplex, its also where the farmers market is located. I've sold tons of peaches at that place.

View attachment 78803

Ive had several of those trucks, you can't keep ball joints in them. I had one do the exact same thing while pulling a dump trailer.

In most states the realtor works for the seller not the buyer. I always get a real estate lawyer involved before I sign anything. They work for me, cost way less than a realtor, know all the right questions to ask and will press your side. I would rather pay a lawyer $500 than 7% to a realtor.
I took a real estate course about 20 years ago, considering to be a realtor. Realtors get hired by both parties, one for the buyer, one for the seller.

Back