Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, bedtime fun! Hub was watching the end of a movie, I went to bed, that's not the fun part!! Nice night, windows open! I holler at the cats for fussing around in the bathroom window (I might be a redneck)! I hear more clawing on the screen, get up, a raccoon is on the outside window sill! I tell it to get, it leaves. Hear it again, get up, it's looking at me! I sprayed it with Febreeze!! It ran off sneezing! Hubby came in asked what was going on, I told him I might be a redneck!!😁

Starting some major refencing projects that need to be done! Nothing fast, just some "needs to look better" work! The property behind may be sold so we are putting up our own fence just inside the fence we shared with our good neighbors back there. They both passed away last year and the sons are selling the property. One of my donkeys is actually theirs that they abandoned, the new property owners will be inheriting her, one less mouth to feed!

One time I fought off a rooster with a long handled Swiffer duster! Maybe I'm not a redneck, just a cleaning lady!!??
using a tool at hand to do what you need to do may elevate you to hillbilly status:thumbs:

Hi everyone...
I just thought Id say hi..Im still plugging along. It's been a whirlwind of changes the last two years but it is all such a grand adventure good n bad.
I hope everyone is doing good.. :)
Sorry for all you are going through, on the other hand, it's always good to hear from you. A while back I mentioned my concern because we hadn't heard from you, I pray that things will get better for you, it's tough enough to deal with daily problems when you're feeling good. All the best to you, you deserve to be happy and healthy, your'e a beautiful person.

One time I fought off a rooster with a long handled Swiffer duster! Maybe I'm not a redneck, just a cleaning lady!!??
For one rooster, I'd have to take a big pot in with me to feed that run of birds. When he'd come at me, I'd hold his head down with the pot over him to the ground and yell and berate him. Took a couple of times, then he'd see me come in with the pot and run to the other corner.
Just keeping the peace.

Had a gander like that once. Grabbed him by the beak and gave him a "how do you do handshake".... When he regained his composure he was much more respectful.

Heading to bed shortly. I sprayed the bathroom window with raccoon repellant (Febreeze), hoping for a quiet night! House cats have settled down after wrestlemania!!
1649937253695.png

well...I'm not sure where I left off on here honestly but a few things have happened in the last 2 years.
when I write this please know Im laughing because alot of it sounds like a depressing country song...lol..
In the moment it was another few of those character building stages in life..but life goes on here on my homestead and it's not all dreary, I feel blessed to have such rich and meaningful experiences and as wierd as it might seem...well timed in my life's story in this Universe.
Of course it took some retrospect too appreciate how it all played out and some faith in the moment that for better or worse..this is my path so I have to roll with it.
So, I'd been dealing with a few health issues, the main issue that bothered me was my daily energy was fading, feeling beat up and tired, having issues driving home when Im on nightshift and just generally blah.
I've been working a high energy job at the mill and I have my homestead. I turned 50 last year and the doctor just kept saying your going through menopause. I kept saying it's got to be more..I went from a high energy person to dragging my butt, tired and beat up.
I found out last fall Ive been dealing with being hypothryoid after I insisted they check my thryoid levels.
Rewind back to about 2 years ago feeling pretty wiped out, my truck engine blew up.
....gah...
So, I ended up putting a new engine in it as it was the cheapest option at the time. However the first engine was a total lemon and that took a year for chevy to get it right. Luckily, I have a 3 year warrentee on the new engine, so Im on engine #2 now.
Shortly, after my engine blew, I was tired of driving 60 miles a day to work, tired of busting my tired butt at work, not realizing It was a medical condition I was dealing with and I quit the mill and started working at the local store. Not alot of money but closer and not as physically demanding.
Shortly after I started the store, my sweet boy Hooch's kidney failed and I had to put him down. He is the handsome doggo in my thumbnail.
What a true blessing it was to have the few weeks I had left with him. Since I was closer to home and not alot of hours, I had more time at home and induldge my friend with walks and all that daily good stuff.

Unfortunetly, I have to go to work now. I am back at the mill. I will write more later :)
Glad you're back, Hooch. Sorry about your dog, I remember how special he was to you.

Stay well, and hope we see you around!

Sorry for all you are going through, on the other hand, it's always good to hear from you. A while back I mentioned my concern because we hadn't heard from you, I pray that things will get better for you, it's tough enough to deal with daily problems when you're feeling good. All the best to you, you deserve to be happy and healthy, your'e a beautiful person.
Thank you! It's great to see you on here too still! It was a bit to deal with but it all gave me new motivation and perspective on where I'm at in life and how to proceed. I feel alot better and I'm motivated :)

My last 2 years continued:
So, from the last post in a nutshell and stuff I forgot: (sad country music playing in the background...)
.... The cat died, my truck blew up, I quit the mill job after 5 years and Hooch my dog died...
but...
I was hired on the spot at the local grocery store and was offered one of the closing manager positions..be home nightly by 830pm! (beats 3 or 4 am)
I put a new engine in my truck, guarenteed for 3 years, on the 2nd engine on the warentee bcuz the first was a POS. New 2nd engine ..so far great, Yea!!
I didn't last long without a dog here on the homestead. I was going to adopt another pitty. I adore the breed but I came across Danny Dog instead.
Danny is a Black Mouth Cur and was unfortunetly had a rough life. He was 7 and had been in the shelter already for almost 2 years. He was taken from his origional home along with around 10 other curs by animal control due to abuse and neglect and Danny only knows what else. He spent most of his 5 years in a cage, and frightened of everyone and everything. Danny was largely kinda feral and non trusting and although not aggressive if he had to be handled..not into it.
I had to give it a go...the pitty I was going to look at was very adoptable, Danny was not. I was told he prefered the female staff at the shelter not so much the men, and since I don't have kids or a man in my life..it seemed like a good fit for what he needed. When I read up on the breed, loyal, smart athletic all around good homesteading dogs I knew somehow the planets aligned and the timing was perfect for him to come here, heal and be my new best buddie.
Im glad to say it has worked out really well. He has all the good qualities this breed of dog has. He is super smart and has become a great hiking buddie. I can now have him off leash hiking and call back is great. He is very sensitive to my energy and tone, and I have to be more aware of what I'm projecting because of his sensitive nature.
It's been a great learning experience with this breed and he has become a great dog for the homestead.
Some feral cats showed up and anniliated the mouse issue. I trapped them and got them fixed before I had a cat issue but they have stuck around dispite the coyotes and accepted the new dog.
I've downsized my goat herd, and I had to put down my sweet mare recently. With the new job and going through the journey to find out what was going on with my energy issues, I had to unload some responsibilities. I just can't do it all by myself anymore..so, I first decided to off load some of the goats. I kept my now retired breeding Boer doe. She was to be the companion for my old horse. However, I ended up sending the to my friends ranch in Ca last fall. My mare developed arthritis and I just had to try n give her every opportunity.
Horse people will get it...so my friend offered to let her retire with her old mare where it is warmer climate. I knew the cold winters here would do her in so I put her on a transport along with her meds to greener pastures. Unfortunetly, a few weeks ago It was time. I suspect it might have been cancer and arthritis by how fast she went downhill. I tried and did what I thought was best.
Im not getting any more livestock for awhile at least the one that have to be fed over winter. Winters in Idaho are no joke and alot of work with livestock to keep them well fed and kinda warm when It's below freezing or 0 for days or weeks.
I ended up going back to the mill part time after a 3 month break. And I still worked at the store mostly for awhile there..but I'm now back at the mill full time and glad to say I've got my throid and energy issues under control. Im getting back into shape with the mill work and feeling great again.
and now I have to go to work..two more days of night shift then back to days for a spell..yea!

Latest posts

Back