Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 250 miles out. Should be around that distance for the rest of the year, if things go well.

How are things out there in Freakifornia?

Thats good I think. Closer to home at least.

Things smell like manure in freakifornia (love that btw😂) but I see hope for the future now so it makes it a little less horrible. We’re going through stuff. Recycling, Selling and Trashing a lot of stuff. Deciding what we will be taking with us. What’s worth hauling and what’s worth replacing where we end up. Work in progress but we feel like it will help when we finally do find a place and start the actual move. We discuss daily what being free will feel like. Nice to have hope

Thats good I think. Closer to home at least.

Things smell like manure in freakifornia (love that btw😂) but I see hope for the future now so it makes it a little less horrible. We’re going through stuff. Recycling, Selling and Trashing a lot of stuff. Deciding what we will be taking with us. What’s worth hauling and what’s worth replacing where we end up. Work in progress but we feel like it will help when we finally do find a place and start the actual move. We discuss daily what being free will feel like. Nice to have hope
I bet it does feel good...

If things go as planned, California is one place I won't have to go this winter for work. My gang is scheduled for Southern New Mexico and Arizona. Now, I'm no fan of Southern New Mexico - it's barren and lifeless and there's nothing there. Can't even fly to it unless the job is close to El Paso. But it beats Cali, hands down. Gas isn't close to $5/gal in new Mexico either...

I bet it does feel good...

If things go as planned, California is one place I won't have to go this winter for work. My gang is scheduled for Southern New Mexico and Arizona. Now, I'm no fan of Southern New Mexico - it's barren and lifeless and there's nothing there. Can't even fly to it unless the job is close to El Paso. But it beats Cali, hands down. Gas isn't close to $5/gal in new Mexico either...

I pray you don’t have to come here. That’s for sure. It’s ridiculous anymore and getting worse by the day.

@Double R - hey there! You caught me looking! 😂

Years of practice 😉

That just gets me in the heart...

We both were born and raised in rural CA. We’ve known nothing else. Our area was very rural most of our lives but it’s not anymore plus politics of course. With the recall failing (not even surprised) I can’t wait to see what’s next for this state. (Sarcasm)
We were “laughing” last night because were forced to have trash cans. We can not cancel them and haul our own trash to the dump anymore. They put a lean on your house if you don’t keep up with payments even if we move away while the place is listed and up for sale with no one here. There are so many things of freedom we will have to adjust too. It’s going to be weird but we’re excited.

Years of practice 😉

We both were born and raised in rural CA. We’ve known nothing else. Our area was very rural most of our lives but it’s not anymore plus politics of course. With the recall failing (not even surprised) I can’t wait to see what’s next for this state. (Sarcasm)
We were “laughing” last night because were forced to have trash cans. We can not cancel them and haul our own trash to the dump anymore. They put a lean on your house if you don’t keep up with payments even if we move away while the place is listed and up for sale with no one here. There are so many things of freedom we will have to adjust too. It’s going to be weird but we’re excited.
DH and I were talking about some of that. How the rural areas of the state were, and some still are. But it’s all overshadowed by the craziness. California went from a ‘pull yourself up by the bootstraps’ kind of place to utter nuttiness. I’m curious where you’re hoping to go, but get that you don’t want to share that here. Really hoping and praying for you.

Best feeling ever , looking at So Cal in the rear view mirror one last time. Hope everything comes together for you.

Thank you very much. 🤗

DH and I were talking about some of that. How the rural areas of the state were, and some still are. But it’s all overshadowed by the craziness. California went from a ‘pull yourself up by the bootstraps’ kind of place to utter nuttiness. I’m curious where you’re hoping to go, but get that you don’t want to share that here. Really hoping and praying for you.

You are so right. It’s truly hard to believe honestly.
We are trying to find a place in Missouri in the ozarks. Prices have skyrocketed which is making it difficult.
Thank you very much. This move is long overdue it just hasn’t been doable till now. I feel like we need all the hope and prayers we can get right now. 🤗

@Peanut Honestly that doesn’t really surprise me for the Bay Area. We‘ve been in a rural area so a lot didn’t effect us like that. However town has made its way over the years and so has all the wacko’s from the Bay Area. It hasn’t been home in years. We’ve wanted out for a long time it just wasn’t possible. Were making it happen now. Just scary trying to figure out how. Especially when we’re looking so far away. We just want to be in a place that’s like what we used to have but with better politics.

Congrats on escaping CA! I left in 2008, and haven't looked back. Just went down to visit my brother in Loomis, CA last month and it was absolutely awful. Couldn't believe the price of gas and how crowded everything was just since I left 13 years ago. Crazy.

Congrats on escaping CA! I left in 2008, and haven't looked back. Just went down to visit my brother in Loomis, CA last month and it was absolutely awful. Couldn't believe the price of gas and how crowded everything was just since I left 13 years ago. Crazy.

Every day I’m more and more pushed to go. I’m glad you escaped before it got this bad. I hope we don’t regret the decision but I can’t see how we will.

Every day I’m more and more pushed to go. I’m glad you escaped before it got this bad. I hope we don’t regret the decision but I can’t see how we will.

There WILL be things you’ll miss - how could there not be? But there will be a lot you won’t ever miss. I honestly believe there’s something good/beautiful/wonderful about all parts of this country. And a lot of those parts aren’t crazy insane like California. 😉

That's a problem anywhere. I grew up near San Francisco. Missed the mexican food after we got married and traveled all over for husband's job. Ended up in New Mexico a few times, and stayed there the longest. So got used to New Mex Mexican. So here I am in Kansas. The big mexican restaurants aren't mexican at all. We found two hole in the wall places that serve authentic mexican from mexico, but not New Mexican mex. That'll have to do. I can cook New Mex style, though. I do miss the beach in California, but years ago when we lived near Malibu area, it was closed down so much for contamination it was crazy. Now I hyperventilate when I get around that many people. Like our town of 800.

Latest posts

Back