Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm good. Sitting in a hotel room in Santa Fe watching Thor Ragnarok.

Sounds nice! Haven’t seen that movie in quite a while.

Doing all right. Packing up to leave for Mankato, Minnesota at midnight-thirty...

yikes. Travel safely! Get some sleep if there’s time.

How's the ranch? Glad to see you around more often.
Are the owls still around? I went to a state park a few months ago and we went "owling" with a park ranger. That was fun. Didn't know there were so many owls in that park. Forget what kind, small ones.

Thanks @Patchouli! That’s very sweet.
The ranch is good. VERY DRY and dusty. Zero feed to be seen. Calving is about to start. We’re still being missed by the rain but I’m holding out hope for feed and a hay crop this year 🤞🏼.
Yes our daddy owl is still living here. Occasionally we see a second but it leaves before we can see who it is. That reminds me we need to clean the box out and prep it for the next laying season. That’s very cool! I would love doing that. We don’t have small ones around here. Just horned owls and barn owls that we’ve seen and heard.
How’s things with you and the family?

Howdy!
I’m ok. A bit grumpy but glad the days winding down.
How was your day?

Tiring. We pulled everything out of the laundry room to put trays under the washer, water heater and upright freezer. Front load washing machines are heavy!!

Things have gotten a lot quieter here. One headed off to college but will be back for a full semester break. Another left as well, it was time, she was ready. I start working full time next week finally. The dog and cat are driving each other crazy since things are quieter. And they are not babies anymore but in good health.
The owls were screech owls, I think. It was weird because the one that came in close to our location was quieter than I thought it would be. But none us saw it, only heard it.
Here's a video from YT . Screech owls kind of sound like a horse whinnying.

That sounds like a lot of work! Good idea on the trays. I’ve never had a front load but they do seem larger. Hope you had help

Hubby helped. We just put in new flooring and decided to put the pans in, after we had moved stuff back on the room... 🤨. All the pans are plumbed into the septic.

@Patchouli So does that mean empty nest? I’ve heard the term when the kids grow up and move out the parents have empty nest something or other.
I know what our dogs n cats do when one of us is gone I can only imagine what it’s like in that situation.
I think I missed it. Where are you going to work full time?
Look at its little owl belly jiggle! Oh how adorable!! Your right! It does sounds like a horse whinny! That is a darn adorable owl!

Hubby helped. We just put in new flooring and decided to put the pans in, after we had moved stuff back on the room... 🤨. All the pans are plumbed into the septic.
Oh wow! I didn’t know that was even possible! Very cool! Glad hubby helped. New flooring is nice. Gives a fresh feeling to a room I think.

Oh wow! I didn’t know that was even possible! Very cool! Glad hubby helped. New flooring is nice. Gives a fresh feeling to a room I think.

Most pans come with a PVC drain fitting. It keeps the pan from overflowing if there's a leak. Our house is pier and beam, it's easy to do if your not on a slab.

My laundry room is the former boys washroom and has a drain in the floor. The staff and girls washrooms do as well and the janitors room. All, four inch diameter pipes. I am covered for water leaks.

I always build a wheeled trolley for my washer and dryer to sit on whether floor models or stacked. Attach a rope with snaps to installed eyelets and pull them out and about without any hard effort.

So I've had it in my mind for a number of years now, are the Dog/Chum Salmon still making their runs up Chico Creek, not far from where I grew up from the early 40's till 1961 when I moved to my real dad's place. I used to fish for trout on that creek and in the fall the dog salmon runs filled the creek. I've had smoked dog salmon and it tastes great, however dog salmon is nothing you want to eat, fried, boiled or baked, they're very oily and taste horrible. Their runs bring in pods of killerwhales, seals and searun cutthroat trout going for the eggs. Anyway, an article showed up on Yahoo News from a Kitsap Sun newspaper article about all the dog salmon runs in Kitsap County and it made me feel good that they were still having big spawning runs, considering that even when I was fishing in my rowboat as a kid I was starting to see pollution in the bay.

I played conventional flute in Jr high band and so I really appreciate flute music with no breathy sounds. And those are a great variety of flutes. And I just admire the heck out of anyone that can just play music by ear or remembering it after they learn it. I was the type that had to have the written notes on paper in front of me.

I didn't play in the school band. I started guitar real early, 6 or so. I took a few lessons and at maybe 8. I also took a few piano lessons from a guy down the road. He played a "chording" style of gospel. I've only heard it a few times when I was young.

In very rural areas of the south there were always folks who could play banjo/mandolin etc. However, there might not be a piano player for church. This "chording" style of piano developed in the late 1800's. It was usually played by folks who couldn't read music but had a very, very good ear. And played other instruments.

The man who was teaching me couldn't read music. He, like almost all these folks could read the clefs, time and key signature. He taught me for about 3 months then his family had medical issues.

I wish now I could have continued some of that.

Back