Funny bear / Black bear

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Quite a few years ago I was walking the AT in the section that goes thru the Great Smoky Mtns. When you go thru the SM's you have to reserve spaces at the lean to's since camping outside is not allowed in the backwoods. The lean to's have heavy duty chain link fencing with a lockable gate to keep the wildlife away from the hikers at night (or visa versa ). Well, one night not too late, the group in the lean to, which numbered approximately 20, was awakened by noises outside the fence. Lo and behold there was the cutest little bear cub standing up at the fence. The first ones awake woke everyone else up so we could all share in the sight. As you can guess there was the one D.A. (you know what I mean) who was standing by the gate who says "I'm gonna pet that cub." He opens the gate and runs out!!!!. Needless to say there was a mad dash to close the opening. Yes, he did not even close it behind him!! He makes his approach on the cub and the cub emits the classic black bear cub yell that means MOMMA!! The cub runs around the corner of the LT yelling as he goes with the DA after him. Yep, of course here comes Momma bear out of the darkness straight to the corner where the sound of where her precious offspring just disappeared from. At the completion of the first lap, the cub was still in front yelling MOMMA and pulling ahead, the DA was now yelling "OPEN THE GATE!!!" and we inside were loudly shaking our heads "NO" and holding the gate shut. The Momma had yet made the first lap, but you could hear the snapping and chuffing. The lead pair were well into the second lap when the Momma rounded the fourth corner, accelerating down the front straight. As Momma was starting to round turn one, the cub had increased his lead by at least ten bear lengths and had entered the front straight still yelling for Momma. Junior now had almost lapped the field and the DA was on the back stretch running out of gas trying to coast into the pits, hoping the pit road was not still closed. Momma, now confused, stopped with the intent of coming to the aid of her cub that she thought was somewhere in front of her but had now appeared on her heels. With her mission accomplished they both ambled peacefully away into the dark. The DA meanwhile was coasting into turn three trying to radio (gasp) ahead to have the pit gates open. As he stumbled to the gate, we opened it shoving him inside with even the women in the LT giving him hell about his stupidity and to get into his sleeping bag and shut up. I do not recall seeing the DA on the trail after that night. He may have decided it was better to turn back.

ssonb: Good story and very well written. I am thrilled the folks refused to open the gate for DA. A lesson learned by all and this time nobody had to become a snack. Fun read.

Latest posts

Back