Future Ex-Miamian Looking for Freedom

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Bama! Good information here on just about any topic, join in anywhere.
Thanks Peanut (hahaha that's my dog's name actually, little Rat Terrier I love him to death), man I don't even know where to start on this journey you know, I just know that it needs to happen. If I'm short of cash and looking to get away would you recommend renting some rural property just to start practicing my homesteading skill or save up some money instead and buy instead?

Welcome from Alaska.

There a many skills you can practice where you are, maybe a vacant lot down the street or an abandoned industrial property nearby.

You can practice making fire or charcoal or building shelters, water filtration, all the basic camping skills. Do you know how to build various fence types for livestock? Gardening, buy $5 worth of seed and plant them in the vacant lot. It'd be nice to eat beans or lettuce you grow but that's not necessary for learning how to grow them, plus you learn to track all the critters/bugs eating your veggies and how to deal with them.

Just suggestions... don't know your intentions.

Thanks Peanut (hahaha that's my dog's name actually, little Rat Terrier I love him to death), man I don't even know where to start on this journey you know, I just know that it needs to happen. If I'm short of cash and looking to get away would you recommend renting some rural property just to start practicing my homesteading skill or save up some money instead and buy instead?
If you have a job keep it and accept you may have to commute.

9 months ago it would be easy. Drive out of the city until trump flags dominate the local flora.

Rent if you have to but at the first GOOD chance grab what you can.

Practice your skills at growing and nurturing both plant and animal.

It is not a step but a process.

Ben

Thank you for the welcome Snappy! From your way of speaking it sounds like rural property is running scarce.
And expensive! We bought a 2 bedroom 2 bath house on an acre here in MS. In our area of FL we could have bought an older mobile home in a park for the same price and not owned the lot.

The pup in my profile photo is Peanut Butter. That would be the hillbilly version of Peanut. Lol

Welcome from Iowa!

There's nothing wrong with renting. Just keep in mind that there's less freedom to do what you want to do with the property. I've rented a couple acreages and I currently rent in a tiny town. Just remember that while you're renting you need to focus on saving for that down payment for the land you want to buy...

Welcome from Alaska!

Welcome. Maybe consider buying raw land somewhere. Then your options can range from building small and enlarging to dragging in a mobile home. I had a friend do this in eastern Arizona....got 40 acres, did the well and septic, brought in a double wide. All done for $140k. Living the dream or so he says....

Welcome

I bet there are a lot of middle aged preppers who are single or single with kids who might be willing to join forces. I know it's about impossible to stay on top of things being the only one here doing what's needed. Probably younger folks too but they also probably can keep up better and haven't had years to acquire what's needed like the older folks.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us.

Hello n good luck on your journey. My suggestion is to just go do it. Take the dive. If you can't figure that out, you're going to have trouble.
For me has been like walking through a door. You don't know what's on the other side. Just gotta take that step n have the confidence in yourself to make it.
Again for me if you wait till you have the money or time it may never happen. Certainly happen later.

Howdy there from Alabama

Welcome.
I know what you mean about South Florida. I grew up in northern Palm Beach County and lived there over half my life.
It was beautiful in the 50’s and 60’s. By the 1980’s it was filled with people who came from Up North, or the Caribbean.
We made our escape in 1995 to rural North Florida.
I love this state, will never leave.
I’m so old I remember when Robert E. Lee’s birthday was a state holiday and we got off from school. Same with Confederate Memorial Day.

Latest posts

Back