Galentine's Day, February 13

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had never heard of this before, until I saw that a few people I knew participated. One was a former student and she attended a Galentine's slumber party with a bunch of 30 something year old women. I saw another woman who told me she hosted one, again, 30 somethings. From what I can tell, the idea originated on Parks and Rec.

The February 13 celebration is an invention of the writers of the NBC sitcom Parks and Recreation—the same writers who made October 13 "Treat Yo' Self Day," but that is another story for another day. The idea comes from Season 2, Episode 16 of the comedy show, conveniently titled "Galentine's Day."

https://www.newsweek.com/galentines...ion is,conveniently titled "Galentine's Day."Like many good ideas in the show, it was the invention of the show's main character, the enthusiastic public servant Leslie Knope (played by Amy Poehler). As Leslie describes the day herself in the episode: "Oh it's only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies."

Happy Galentine's Day! Because we need another holiday??? I saw that an old roommate of mine had a lovely luncheon with several of her friends. It is almost unheard of though.

I never liked this show. I could never get into it. Too weird for me.
I love the Ron Swanson character played by Nick Offerman. I just look at his face and crack up! His expressions are priceless!
As for another holiday, who needs it. We don't celebrate the first one.

Isn't that the truth? We do not need another one, but retailers will make the most of another one. I understand that some restaurants have.
I had to go to NYC for a dinner and a meeting the 14th and 15th. Our waiters said there were so many full restaurants on the 13th that Galentines flowed over into the 14th. Restaurants were packed with groups of women in their 30's. The person that scheduled and planned our meeting is single and didn't realize it was Valentines (oops). I'll make it up to the wife this weekend. She was not impressed when I told her that the restaurant was packed with single women in their 30's. I told her "just from seeing them and how they acted in public ... there is a REASON they are single".

Anyway, meeting the next day went well and I'm back out of the crazy place!

I had to go to NYC for a dinner and a meeting the 14th and 15th. Our waiters said there were so many full restaurants on the 13th that Galentines flowed over into the 14th. Restaurants were packed with groups of women in their 30's. The person that scheduled and planned our meeting is single and didn't realize it was Valentines (oops). I'll make it up to the wife this weekend. She was not impressed when I told her that the restaurant was packed with single women in their 30's. I told her "just from seeing them and how they acted in public ... there is a REASON they are single".

Anyway, meeting the next day went well and I'm back out of the crazy place!
My daughter and SO stayed home on Valentine's Day. Restaurants are always crowded on Feb. 14. They stayed home, cooked and watched movies. No extra expenses!
Someone told me about a small restaurant close to her shop that was set up for Galentines and they were busy and crowded. We can know that retailers and restaurants are going to make the most of it!

My daughter and SO stayed home on Valentine's Day. Restaurants are always crowded on Feb. 14. They stayed home, cooked and watched movies. No extra expenses!
Someone told me about a small restaurant close to her shop that was set up for Galentines and they were busy and crowded. We can know that retailers and restaurants are going to make the most of it!
From my point of view almost every holiday is perpetuated by people trying to make money from the day.

Just my 2 cents

Ben

Latest posts

Back