Garden 2018

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning on sun rise I gave the garden a good long soak before I applied another dose of complete blood and bone fertiliser to most of my leafy greens and broad beans
and epsom salt/ lime mix to the chili plants and then watered it in well so the plants didn't burn.

I harvested a 10 ltr bucket of older turnip greens and fed them to the chickens. The older leaves are tough and are too peppery for my taste
so rather than waste them the chickens ate them.

They've gone off the lay with their winter moult so the extra vitamins will do them good.

I looked at my moon chart and it seems that Saturday is a good day to plant things that leaves are harvested from.

Which is good.
I might plant some Spanish collards, more kale and some Asian greens.
I'll direct sow all except the Spanish collards. I only have a small amount of seeds and I want to
get max. germination. Only 2 seedlings survived the great sparrow massacre before I got the net up.

This morning at day break I trimmed off all the bottom leaves off all the tomatoes and shifted the clips further up the trellis to support the Kotlas/Sprint toms.
Watered every thing by hand.
I'm weighing up getting automated drip systems but I actually like being out there at day break with a hose.

I had made plans to shift another lot of wood chip today but I don't think my pain levels are going to allow that to happen.
I used up my store of endurance trimming the tomatoes.
I'm beat.

Soooooo....I don't know if anyone knows about this or not but it appears there is quite a bit of knowledge and experience here so maybe someone will know the answer to this question. I have decided to grow some grains. I hear Sorghum is very versitale and almost impossible to screw up. But.....I am going to try Amaranth and Quinone also. Wondering if anyone has any tips or help they can give me towards successful growing?

Soooooo....I don't know if anyone knows about this or not but it appears there is quite a bit of knowledge and experience here so maybe someone will know the answer to this question. I have decided to grow some grains. I hear Sorghum is very versitale and almost impossible to screw up. But.....I am going to try Amaranth and Quinone also. Wondering if anyone has any tips or help they can give me towards successful growing?

I've grown forage sorghum for strip grazing cattle.
It has the exact same requirements as corn.
High water, nitrogen and potash requirements.
Very cold/cool sensitive.
I'd be checking to see when your first frost date is "suppose" to be and see if you
have enough time for the heads to set and mature.
Might be something to consider for next season if you've left your run too late.

I've grown forage sorghum for strip grazing cattle.
It has the exact same requirements as corn.
High water, nitrogen and potash requirements.
Very cold/cool sensitive.
I'd be checking to see when your first frost date is "suppose" to be and see if you
have enough time for the heads to set and mature.
Might be something to consider for next season if you've left your run too late.
First frost here is November 22 nd..... according to the Gubberment.....

First frost here is November 22 nd..... according to the Gubberment.....

Pffttt....yeah that and a buck fifty will leave you with a buck twenty. *grins*

Find a variety and see how many days to harvest and see if one will fit.

My gut is telling me that just like you lot jumped straight from winter to summer and lost spring
expect the same thing to happen - you'll lose autum and jump straight into winter.
Bet on frosts to come a good month early.

Pffttt....yeah that and a buck fifty will leave you with a buck twenty. *grins*

Find a variety and see how many days to harvest and see if one will fit.

My gut is telling me that just like you lot jumped straight from winter to summer and lost spring
expect the same thing to happen - you'll lose autum and jump straight into winter.
Bet on frosts to come a good month early.
You funny!!....Ha! The Old farmers Almanac here actually says Nov 9th......Average....:D;)

Spent the morning cutting bamboo poles, cutting them to length, pounding them into the ground and running bailing twine around my bush beans that got blown over in the high winds we had yesterday.

Then I had to give some TLC to my determinate tomatoes which aren't suppose to need staking but that's when
there isn't really dangerous high winds.
I got them set to rights with bamboo stakes and twine.

My black jack zucchini are flowering up a storm and not a male blossom to be seen!
I got at least 5 female flowers that won't get pollinated - that means 5 zucchini that won't
develop.

I got 2 male tomboncino zucchini flowers so the two female flowers on those vines got hand pollinated.

Soooooo.... I have decided to grow some grains. But.....I am going to try Amaranth and Quinone also. Wondering if anyone has any tips or help they can give me towards successful growing?

Two species of amaranth already grow wild in the southeast, plow up a piece of ground and one of them will come up, can’t kill the stuff. You probably have it growing in your garden now and don't realize it. Both of these species grow wild as weeds in my garden every year. ;)

Amaranthus viridis – green amaranth

Amaranthus spinosus – spiny amaranth

Got a bunch of summer stuff looking nice right now. Only a few blooms on the flowers but they will all be up soon. Got some nice watermelon too! And figs!
IMG_20180712_171013.jpg
IMG_20180712_170743.jpg
IMG_20180712_170719.jpg
IMG_20180712_170630.jpg
IMG_20180712_170623.jpg
IMG_20180712_165054.jpg
IMG_20180713_181528.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Turning the spot on my front lawn that I use to use as a parking spot for my car into garden.

Watering the ground really well and then laying down cardboard and junk mail, watering really well again
and putting a deep layer of wood chips down over the top.

I'm half way done and feel like I've been hit by a truck and I'm done for the day.

I'll get back out there again tomorrow at sunrise when it's cooler and I've got more pep.

Brought more tomato seeds...yeah, more.

Kellogs breakfast - Large yellow beefsteak.

Soldaki - Large pink beefsteak.

Blue Mountain Ridge - Red beefsteak.

The Blue Mountain Ridge is suppose to preform very well under hot humid conditions.
A rare trait for beefsteak tomatoes and it's flavor is suppose to be good.

We'll see what we'll see considering the the Kotlas was suppose to be a tasty tomato
and nothing could be further from the truth.

My plants seem to be doing strange things.

I've never seen a flower come out of an Aloe Vera and now the same kind of flower is coming out of our elephant ear plants.
What in the heck is going on? Have the pod arrived or what? Not kidding either.

mnHvtA1.jpg

BzMs6Mg.jpg

Had several old seed packets(2014).
Didn't know if they were any good.
Nothing to lose, so I planted them.
Green beans are up, haven't seen any peppers yet.
Have several volunteers tomato plants up.
Have no clue what they are. So I planted cherry tomatoes yesterday.
Have a couple of squash seed packs, so might plant one tomorrow.

Had several old seed packets(2014).
Didn't know if they were any good.
Nothing to lose, so I planted them.
Green beans are up, haven't seen any peppers yet.
Have several volunteers tomato plants up.
Have no clue what they are. So I planted cherry tomatoes yesterday.
Have a couple of squash seed packs, so might plant one tomorrow.

e did the same thing. Had some old seeds and decided to plant them and so far they are doing good. Plus we have several that came up in the rose bush's from compost pile.
Glad your back at it again Mobook.

Didn't do anything special on the green beans. Threw some top soil and mushroom compost in a stock tank. Drilled holes at the bottom sides all around for drainage. It sits on concrete blocks. Put some chicken wire around it because the dog jumped in it. Water it. Greenbeans. They're in full sun.

Latest posts

Back