Garden 2019.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few Harvest items
JCS_0588.JPG
JCS_0586.JPG

Dutch those look good!
Ours is starting to slow down on growth now. But since they seem to keep going we transplanted them yesterday into raised bed. Not sure how they will like it since they are all in full bloom and producing though.

Camera is not taking good pics so excuse pic. Also set some tomato plants in the containers in the bed with eggplants.

3EqHb30.jpg

ZcERMrh.jpg

So far I've gotten 4 cucumbers total from my 2 plants in containers on the back deck.
Today I've harvest 3 "salad" tomatoes. I have a good many tomatoes but they haven't turned yet
And I got 3 nice sized green peppers
celery is looking good still as long as I keep it watered
onions are doing good for being grown in containers I think
we've never had eggplant. is it hard to grow? ( temperamental?)

Got my first cucumber tonight. We picked a little more than a quart of blueberries over the weekend. Got my first bulbed onion last week. That row will be ready to harvest in the next 2-3 weeks. Been getting a few cherry tomatos for a couple weeks. 2 Jalapenos, and a handful of Red Flame grapes. We are late getting much harvest this year, but it looks like things are getting started.

A few cucumbers, peas, and zucchini. We're going to have more squash than we can possible use or give away. Tomatoes are not ripe yet but there are a couple turning color so maybe soon. The zucchini and summer squash ar growing like crazy. My wife had good success getting the seeds to germinate and she planted way,way too many.

Harvsted my first ever Legion roma tomato.

YUCK.

Huge disapointment.

Tough skin.
No flavor.
Rock hard.

I could throw these at a wall and the wall would be worse off than the tomato.

I am going to leave these on the vine for a long time after they are fully red to see if the texture and flavor improves.

I am beyond upset considering how much time money and effort I have put into these plants.
It was bad enough having to deal with the fact I didn't plant enough to make the amount of sauce I wanted.
Now what I have planted isn't fit for sauce and is most prob chicken food......

My frame of mind aint very christian when I look at them.

I have used some cattle panels to train my cukes, maters, and gourds to climb. I also bought some little plastic clips from Amazon that go around the vine and fence and hold them in place. Also reuseable for next year. I got all my stuff that is tall enough to clip up done. Lots of little maters coming on and got a few cukes, onions, and radishes tonight. We might be doing pickles in the next couple weeks.

I also cut a couple of panels and made tomato cages. They should outlive me. I got 3 cages from each panel so it cost around $6 per cage which is about what the flimsy cages cost. If you look close you can see a couple of them. A side benefit is they protect the plants from my hose dragging on them.

Last edited:
Something a little different… 12-15 years ago I was at a holiday gathering somewhere, don’t remember where. However, I do remember someone brought some pickled greenbeans.

Of all the wonderful food on that huge table the greenbeans took the prize walking away.

Every year since I always think of those greenbeans around the holidays. Unfortunately, I always forget in the summer when my greenbeans are ready, except this year!

Today I made 2 pints of pickled greenbeans (refrigerator pickles).

There are a few dozen recipes on the internet. They are all basically the same. They vary by spice ratios. They all have peppercorns, a dried chili pepper, coriander, fresh dill, garlic clove, bay leaf, sugar and salt.

pickled green beans (2)_v1.jpg

Sorry to hear that TG. Hopefully you can salvage the crop.

Wife just picked 6 cucmbers, okra is finally starting to flower, and we picked nearly 2 quarts of blueberries last night.

I hope so to BP.

looking at the plants it seems I made the mistake of planting in the furrow and not on the mound and the stems started to rot from water logging because of all the rain.
The high winds laying them over was the last straw.

Winter is suppose to be our dry season so my thoughts were that the plants would be safe in the furrow.
Nope.
Hopefully I will have plenty of time to replant up on row mounds and side step issues again.
Also I have a part of the garden that is next to a fence and fairly protected. I am thinking it make pay to put in a second plot of beans there to help spread the risk.

Today I spent a lot of time hanging off the end of a mattock making new beds and then I laid down as many rows of weed mat that I could until I ran out of pins.

Then I went inside and put the water on to boil for a nice hot bath and laid on the couch whimmering while waiting.

The zucchini are producing like mad but I am still not producing enough to keep my chickens fed.
I have another 15 plants to go in once the weed matting is finished.

I have 30 broccoli, 15 sugar cabbage, 6 large Dutch flat cabbage and I have lost count of the number of napa seedlings to plant.
I am going large in swiss chard and collards and a spainish open headed cabbage which looks like collards.
I have to buy insect net row covers yet but that will happen next pension.

Yesterday burnt holes in my weed mat and planted my zucchini plants and my sugar cabbage seedlings and watered them in.

That doesn't sound like a lot but by the end I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.
I was still sore from the previous days effort.

I still have nappa cabbage, celery, kale, swiss chard and broccoli seedlings to go in yet.

The beans that got laid over in the high winds have all died.
I have to resow both rows. I always have troubles with beans.

My cucumbers are a complete bust. Powdery mildew for days and not a single healthy leaf between all the plants combined.
I am going to give a hardy Asian variety a go. It's a long curling variety that is extremely prickly but it is suppose to be
immune to mildews. We'll put the claim to the test.
The variety is called Suyo Long.

Have a handful of "salad" tomatoes to pick this morning. Also there are a couple of cukes making on the plants that aren't quite ready yet. Blackberries are almost ready to turn. Very close. Blueberries still aren't ready yet though
My celery isn't taking the heat well so I have to cut it this morning

Was looking at the Farmer's Almanac and I see I can plant late spinach next month and I can plant late carrots starting next week and on through the end of the month

Today I planted out a whole weed matted row with green swiss chard. Burning all those holes and planting them with very small seedlings was hell on the back but the sun was nice.

I ordered heavy duty insect netting off ebay to cover my broccoli plants along with a roll of heavy guage plain wire to use as hoops.
I won't plant out my broccoli until the netting is delivered.

I have 12 KY1 tomato seedlings to plant as soon as I roll out more weed mat. I brought 2 more packs of weed mat pins so I can now finish laying down the weed mat and get on with planting and building low tunnels.

@backlash Your garden looks fabulous! We just moved here end of December and the "dirt" hasn't been dealt with in a very long time or ever. Slowly, I am working at turning it into soil.
We have had a dozen cherry tomatoes, have a couple onions that I stuck in the ground early knowing there was a chance they might rot- they lived, also just picked last of peas and pulled vines, we've harvested and canned our first greeny- beanies and need to pick more. The tomato vines are as tall as me and loaded. Beginning to turn but most are green and growing.
@Tank-Girl a little trick to try on your "non-Christain" tomatoes ~ try setting them in your car with windows up in the morning. Then in evening try one. This is assuming your car gets some sun and produces that sauna effect when you open the door. I learned this purely by accident but it's handy for avocados that aren't quite ripe that you need for supper too:)
Hope your new green beans grow like gang busters and make up for lost time.

@backlash Your garden looks fabulous! We just moved here end of December and the "dirt" hasn't been dealt with in a very long time or ever. Slowly, I am working at turning it into soil.
We have had a dozen cherry tomatoes, have a couple onions that I stuck in the ground early knowing there was a chance they might rot- they lived, also just picked last of peas and pulled vines, we've harvested and canned our first greeny- beanies and need to pick more. The tomato vines are as tall as me and loaded. Beginning to turn but most are green and growing.
@Tank-Girl a little trick to try on your "non-Christain" tomatoes ~ try setting them in your car with windows up in the morning. Then in evening try one. This is assuming your car gets some sun and produces that sauna effect when you open the door. I learned this purely by accident but it's handy for avocados that aren't quite ripe that you need for supper too:)
Hope your new green beans grow like gang busters and make up for lost time.

Thank you.
I will def. Try your tomato in the car trick.

I replanted my dwarf beans.
I now have over 30 feet of swiss chard.
Yikes.
I had to buy more little gas operated bbq starters because all the ones I brought got used up
and I have 1 and a quarter rows of weed mat to burn holes in.
My early potatoes are sprouting flower buds Kennbec ? White skinned potato with small pink eyes.
Kesteral?
My front row is Kipler and the next row is Sebago<-- my fav.

The potato plants are looking very healthy. It remains to be seen if they produce healthy potatoes?

Latest posts

Back