1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden 2019.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Tank-Girl, Dec 31, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 21, 2019 #421

Tank-Girl

Tank-Girl

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Lessons learned this growing season...

Cabbages need a finer mesh for their low tunnel if they are going to be replanted in the same bed next season to keep out the mango trash.

The trellis along the back fence is a waste of space and materials.
    It doesn't get enough sun so everything that I have planted has been a failure.
    Better to use the trellis in the front yard and plant more tomatoes.

I am not planting the disgusting Legion Roma tomatoes again.
    I think I will stick with the Roma vf and tweak my growing techniques.
    Big Beef tomatoes are the absolute bomb.
    Hardly, vigorous, disease and virus resistant. The fruit they produce are huge, juicy and flavorful and there's a lot of them.

I have to install drip irrigation and a timer system.

I'll be doubling my potato planting next season.

I need to get a handle on growing beans. They're supposed to be the easiest thing in the world to grow but every year I struggle.

I need to put a finer mesh low tunnel over my Swiss chard. The insects ate it and left the yucky kale alone.
    I need to plant more Swiss chard than the tripple 15 foot row I did.
    Yeah..... I need to plant more kale because the guinea pigs and the chickens love the stuff.

Weed mat and insect proof low tunnels have proven their worth this whole season.
    It has been money and effort well spent.

timmie, Patchouli, Peanut and 5 others like this.
  2. Nov 21, 2019 #422

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Neighbor HCL Supporter

Will be ordering my copy of Baker's Rare Seed catalog as they have sent me an email.

timmie, Patchouli, Peanut and 4 others like this.
  3. Nov 21, 2019 #423

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

I've already requested a few seed catalogs, Baker Creek was one of them. They are far and away my favorite.
    Also bought a drip irrigation kit for the garden next year. I'm planning on setting it up with the onions, tomatos, peppers, and cukes. May expand it to squash and melons depending on how much rain we get next year.

4. Dec 2, 2019 #424

Tank-Girl

Tank-Girl

Tank-Girl

Looking through seed catalogs and ebay to get tooled up ready for next season.

Irrigation is going to be the main focus because as much as I adore hand watering the amount of time it takes every morning is ridiculous.
    I need more 50 cell flats to start larger seedlings like zucchini and tomatoes.

This coming pension I am spoiling myself and buying motherwort and toothache plants from a rare herb nursery online.
    They also sell organic dried herbs so I'll buy 50 grams of their dried Motherwort so I can make more tincture straight away.
    Motherwort is extremely difficult to start from seed so it's well worth the money to buy seedlings.
    I'm going to try taking cuttings and air layering my older Motherwort plants to see if I can increase the number of plants that way.

I've started planting my hydroponic grow cubes so I can start up my hydroponic system again.
    There's just no way I can grow greens in this heat.
    I'll also put a few tried and tested cherry tomato varieties in the system.