Garden 2019.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe it!!!My Arctic Kiwi actually bloomed this year!!! After 5-6 years of nothing I have a handful of blooms!!! I'm so excited lol
Its getting leggy on top and I was planning on trimming those off. the blooms are on the one end of the plant. I turned around to talk to Bandit and I saw them and had to get pics lol
garden2019%20001_zpssvnjxhoo.jpg

garden2019%20002_zps79htxbj3.jpg

I was hoeing in my large containers. Everything looks good so far and aren't being drowned by all the rain
Peppers are 2 green ones called Revolution and the one in front is a Red Knight
garden2019%20005_zpswtwrw8mf.jpg

My Romero and Juliet container. lol The one on the left is a roma and the other is a tomato called Juliet
garden2019%20007_zpsqsrkvcwt.jpg

These are both Big Boys
garden2019%20006_zps4ukqvv0s.jpg

These are both San Marzano
garden2019%20009_zps5g1qvn0o.jpg

Part 2 because the site won't let me have more than 10 pics in a post ( sorry! didn't know that lol)

The tomato on the right is called a Mountain Fresh plus and the one on the left is a Beefsteak
garden2019%20008_zpsiem4aemw.jpg

My celery experiment seems to being going okay. I wanted to see if I could grow it. Next year are potatoes
garden2019%20010_zpsf9xs4bgr.jpg

And the onions are going great. All the window boxes are working really well. Have to wait to see how they turn out lol
garden2019%20012_zpsjshvtyrq.jpg

Wanted to show ya all where my Bella is the whole time I'm outside the fence ( at the gate). lol Most of the time she's laying down right there though today she was sitting
garden2019%20014_zps8oxibbat.jpg

Her brother Bandit doesn't care for getting his picture taken lol
garden2019%20017_zpsn8daryrw.jpg

Okra is ok, but greenhouse plants except for egg plants are not doing good. It was over 100 F in there yesterday when I checked it.:ghostly:. I ran water over the poly roof and it has shade cloth over it but with highs in the 100s this week it is DONE!!.
I started too late this year. Did get some nice broccoli,bell peppers and few tomatoes but time to close it up.:eek::(

Transplanted my free okra, tomatoes, parsley, thyme, basil, cayenne peppers and pansies yesterday. Tomatoes are a little older and don't know if they will bloom or not. My yellow squash, butternut, potatoes, and sweet potatoes are doing great.

Good for you Snap, ours is not doing so good. Temps to get to 102 here with heat index so our will be gone.

Mine are just starting to make fruit lol Can't wait. Last year's were drowned out. Had absolutely nothing to harvest. Most plants didn't even make buds. The rains last year hit the whole area hard and drowned a lot of gardens.
I don't think I'll make the mistake of planting tomatoes in the ground and will use containers from here on out. I'd rather have to water them than see them drown and get nothing.

Mine are just starting to make fruit lol Can't wait. Last year's were drowned out. Had absolutely nothing to harvest. Most plants didn't even make buds. The rains last year hit the whole area hard and drowned a lot of gardens.
I don't think I'll make the mistake of planting tomatoes in the ground and will use containers from here on out. I'd rather have to water them than see them drown and get nothing.
The rain here was so bad last year I was just growing weeds! This spring was the the best on 30 years. A bit hot now but the maters love it. Thank goodness we got rain yesterday and have some more in the forecast the coming week.
DSC_0136_1.JPG
DSC_0075_1.JPG
DSC_0136_1.JPG
DSC_0075_1.JPG

We are getting a few tomatos on. Actually will have a couple of Black Cherry maters next week. The smaller ones are growing a little. I found a video on youtube that had a receipe for tomato food. So I got the stuff and mixed it today and fed our maters, peppers, and cukes. Video said to reapply every 3 weeks. I'm hopin it gives it a good kick.
Tomorrow gonna plant squash, melons, & pumpkins. Got the ground worked today.
I also went to Tractor Supply last night and got some Cattle panels, 16' x 50" to use to train the maters on. I needed new cages anyway and saw this method and wanted to give it a shot. I got enough of them to finish off my grape arbor this winter too.

Got some pics of my plants I started from seed for the trails Baker Creek sent me. I'll try and get some of them posted up this week if I get time.

Planted 12 Gourds, 11 Long Island Cheese Pumpkins, 1 Acorm sqaush, 6 Waltham Butternut Squash, 4 squash a buddy of mine gave me seed for. I haven't been able to ID them, so I call them "Woody" Squash. 4 Sugar Baby, 6 Moon and Stars water melons. Also 6 of a new type I found called Ancient Watermelons. And about 20' of radishes.
Planning to plant the rest of my peppers Tuesday and hopefully some more tomatos as well.

I'm about pooped from the weekend. Haven't had much to say anywhere else on here this weekend.

I bought a plastic tub today and I am going to make a self watering planter. I have watched several YouTube videos and it interests me.
I'm going to try cucumbers and cantaloupe. I have my garden as complete as I want for this year but I want to experiment for next year.
Here is a link to the YouTube channel. This guy knows more about gardening that I could ever hope to know. He has a lot of very interesting videos and is becoming one of my favorite gardening channels.

Well my cherry harvest is a bust. Barely anything on the trees so I'll leave them for the birds.
I know they bloomed because I saw all of them but then we had winds ( 50mph or better) and I guess they just took the blooms off the trees.
Good thing I have a couple of gallons frozen ;) that I didn't use up yet.
Hopefully next year I'll get a crop *sigh*

Tomatoes are making lots of fruit.
Peppers are doing the same
Cukes are growing and putting out blooms
As long as I keep the celery well watered its doing well also. I might need to use a larger window box for them next year but this year is a learning curve on growing it
Onions are all growing well
I have to check my garden calendar fro the WV Extension office to see if and when I can seed some carrots to get a fall harvest
Blackberries are heavy this year with fruit
Blueberries are doing good. About a pint this year which is pretty good for new plants
I even have some raspberries this year

In the last couple of days I harvested all my sweet potatoes and I got around 100 kilos which would have been fabulous is the ants hadn't
gotten into them over the long hot summer we've had.
I got about 25 kg of usable ones and the rest will be boiled up and fed to the chickens.

I planted out 15 kgs of Irish potatoes and I'm hoping I'll do a bit better.

I still don't have enough to tomatoes planted anyway I do my tomato math.
Getting upset about won't make the tomatoes stretch by even one jar so off I go
to build more trellises and get more in the ground.

I planted 2 15 foot rows of Pioneer dwarf bush beans and I got good germination
except of a 5 foot section right in the middle where I can see it every time I look out there.
I can't tell you how much a large skip like that annoys me.
It drives me nuts. I'll be getting more seed to replant that area because I just can't deal
with it in it's current state.

The local nursery will have the medicinal herbs I ordered in and they'll be ready to pick up next pension.

Today I planted the following seeds-

Roma VF tomatoes.
Broccoli.
Dutch flat cabbage.
Green early cabbage.
Nappa cabbage.
Collards.
Spanish collards.
Spinach.
Swiss chard.

Once I get the beds made up and the weed mat rows laid down I'll direct sow
Turnips, radish and sugar snap peas and maybe some more spinach depending
how sparce the rows look.

I need more spring onion and dwarf green bean seeds.

On our gardening update so far is we have the amended soil for both the in-ground and above garden beds in. We now have all the post holes dug for the posts for the kangaroo garden enclosure but yet to put the dirt back and firm it down around the posts and level them up. No planting yet as we are having frosts here and until we get up the enclosure with the shade cloth on everything will likely burn.

Latest posts

Back