Garden 2020.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked green beans again. Another bushel. Makes 3. I blanched them tonight and put half in dehydrator and other half in quart bags. In panic mode. Offer made to buy our house. Cannot focus on all I need to do. Garden keeps me sane. It will be a quick sale with no realtor. Most of garden should be through by the time we get out. Hate to leave fruit trees, but will get starts from lots of my in ground plants. We have been blessed with timely rain and sunshine. Weeds are abundant in one garden. Hopeful that okra will catch up soon. Squash doing well.

Picked green beans again. Another bushel. Makes 3. I blanched them tonight and put half in dehydrator and other half in quart bags. In panic mode. Offer made to buy our house. Cannot focus on all I need to do. Garden keeps me sane. It will be a quick sale with no realtor. Most of garden should be through by the time we get out. Hate to leave fruit trees, but will get starts from lots of my in ground plants. We have been blessed with timely rain and sunshine. Weeds are abundant in one garden. Hopeful that okra will catch up soon. Squash doing well.

You really have things going ,good for you. :thumbs:

Have a sweet pepper on one of the plants ( actually the only plant of that type) I think its called a giant marconi but I can't remember
Also have a tiny tomato on one of my early girl tomato plants

Kale is going gangbusters
Swiss Chard was finally big enough to get a some leaves off of it.
Spinach is still not ready yet
Cabbages are doing great. Glad I got the row cover on them before the cabbage moths got to them this year. I was worried I was too early but apparently not.
Plenty of small buds on the zucchini but none are opening yet
We've just now started to get "summer" weather here so I'm thinking everything will be delayed in growing this year
The green beans I planted are all up as far as how many decided to germinate. They were this year's seeds too. Will get to another 2 rows planted after this weekend ( supposed to cool down some)
Cukes are growing
Watermelons are acting like they don't want to grow. They have food, light and water so I don't know what the problem could be.
Tomatoes on the back deck are all growing well. They're sweet 100's. Love those things. Perfect size for snacking lol

My peas, beans, summer squash, and cantalopes are all up in the raised beds. Peppers (bannana, bell, and japaleno) are all blooming and some have small pepper growing. May get a small bell in the next couple weeks. Tomatos are doing the same. Gotta get them weeded, drip hose on them, and put the cattle panels up to train them up. Onions are growing, gotta get drip tape on them too. It's rained a lot this week, so that hasn't been a priority yet. I'll check my great northern beans in the lower garden and see if they've came up yet.
Also need to plant watermelons and winter squash this weekend if it's dry enough.

WVLady let me know what you think about the Marconi peppers. I've saw those seed but never tried them out.

I actually have potatoes growing in bags. I hope I get some big potatoes unlike what I usually get.
Everything in the garden is doing well. Plants should start growing bigger now that the weather has warmed up. My nephew gave me some honeydew and cantaloupe but they were really leggy and didn't survive the transplant.
My black ground cover seems to have blocked the weeds except there is some type of vine thing growing under it.
All my drip irrigation is working really well. The timer comes on at 6 AM for 15 minutes every day and it drips 1 half-gallon of water directly on the base of the plants so I'm not watering the weeds.
It injects fertilizer along with the water so I don't have to even do that.

Have a sweet pepper on one of the plants ( actually the only plant of that type) I think its called a giant marconi but I can't remember
Also have a tiny tomato on one of my early girl tomato plants

Kale is going gangbusters
Swiss Chard was finally big enough to get a some leaves off of it.
Spinach is still not ready yet
Cabbages are doing great. Glad I got the row cover on them before the cabbage moths got to them this year. I was worried I was too early but apparently not.
Plenty of small buds on the zucchini but none are opening yet
We've just now started to get "summer" weather here so I'm thinking everything will be delayed in growing this year
The green beans I planted are all up as far as how many decided to germinate. They were this year's seeds too. Will get to another 2 rows planted after this weekend ( supposed to cool down some)
Cukes are growing
Watermelons are acting like they don't want to grow. They have food, light and water so I don't know what the problem could be.
Tomatoes on the back deck are all growing well. They're sweet 100's. Love those things. Perfect size for snacking lol
VWDragonL we haven't been that productive in a few years now. Good for you!:great:

Got a flower bed dug up (15.5 x 4 feet), amended and mostly planted with flowers this week (around 70 zinnia, stock, verbena). Have 7 buckets of potatoes that are up, a few buckets that are not up, and am still planting some buckets. Cukes, zucchini, pumpkin, flowers planted this week. Much more to go, but getting closer to done.

Lots of weeding done this week, more to go. Never ending, but yard is looking much better! Front yard mowed, back yard will hopefully get mowed tomorrow.

Yellow and pink iris, orange poppies, showy evening primrose, bachelor buttons, larkspur, climbing roses are all blooming. White iris are not blooming, are ingrown and will get thinned out soon. Yellow and German pinks need to be thinned out as well.

A clematis I purchased and planted more than a month ago is finally coming up. I had given up on it. I had bought a package of 4, and so far I see only one. It gives me hope that the others will come up as well.

When I buy plants, I usually buy for daughter as well. She is stuck working from home and I can go. I am visiting lots of home gardeners who are selling seedlings this year and I have driven lots of miles to pick up various plants over a few weeks. It gets me out and gives me something different to do. Daughter has been looking for shishito peppers. I found two last week, and got the last two. Today, I found more and bought 4. Everytime I ask about shishito peppers, the sellers say how popular they are. We are still looking for tarragon.

Daughter's plants are looking so much better than mine. She is having a great year with her plants. Her cilantro is bolting.

Worked in the garden after supper this evening... nice and cool. Everything is coming along pretty well. I got about 80% germination on the first planting of sweet corn (last week of march). The second planting of sweet corn (10 days ago) is just coming up, again I got about 80% germination. All the mosby white corn came up, 100% on it.

The first 6 rows of watermelons are up also. Only about 60% germination on those, same for the squash. I'm thinking I'll go back and plant okra on those rows in between watermelon plants. I already put down volcanic rock and fertilizer on those rows...

I got my first two tomatoes turning red! They are small, enough for a salad.

01jun20 mosby (2) sm.JPG
01jun20 mosby (3) sm.JPG
01jun20 tomato a.JPG

Well I feel like I've been beaten with a stick because I've spent the last 3 days digging over 20 mtrs of potato trenches with a mattock and shovel.
The trenches are a foot deep and a foot wide.
I caught my breath and put super phosphate and potash in the bottom of the trench, the seed potatoes and then I filled them in.
I could have cried after the trenches were filled. All those beautiful deep straight trenches GONE!!
Hell YES they were straight. My OCD got the better of me. I sat there for a LONNNNGGGG time basking in the straightness of those rows.
I was and am very determined to get a better crop of potatoes this year hence all the back breaking work.

Nothing is growing well here. They have food light and water but everything is very late in blooming and growing food.
My watermelon plants which have refused to grow larger than 2 inches are now covered in small ants. Could they be inhibiting the growth? I've never had watermelon not grow and give me fruit
The only 2 things that are growing are the swiss chard and the kale

Everything seems to be delayed by at least 3 weeks it seems.
Hopefully it'll pick up and I'll get some kind of harvest from all the plants before the growing season is over

Nothing is growing well here. They have food light and water but everything is very late in blooming and growing food.
My watermelon plants which have refused to grow larger than 2 inches are now covered in small ants. Could they be inhibiting the growth? I've never had watermelon not grow and give me fruit
The only 2 things that are growing are the swiss chard and the kale

Everything seems to be delayed by at least 3 weeks it seems.
Hopefully it'll pick up and I'll get some kind of harvest from all the plants before the growing season is over

VWDragon, we had the same problem with melons,but finally got a few last year.I think one thinfgfor us is lack of rain.Articial waterign of organictype veggys seems to hindr too.
This is why we are waiting till fall to grow crops.Maybe start some inside to sow in September.Otherwise too hot here to plant.
Don't remember ants eating seedlings ,maybe its the fertilizer?:dunno:

Well I don't know where you live but here we have 3 very short growing seasons. IF I'm lucky I can get another crop of cool weather veggies in the Fall before the frost hits. Summer is around 90 days depending on the weather and Spring is only around 60 days maybe depending on when the frost and freezes stop ( or don't)

Its a weird growing season this year here

Well I don't know where you live but here we have 3 very short growing seasons. IF I'm lucky I can get another crop of cool weather veggies in the Fall before the frost hits. Summer is around 90 days depending on the weather and Spring is only around 60 days maybe depending on when the frost and freezes stop ( or don't)

Its a weird growing season this year here

I

Last edited:
My brother has grown tomatoes & peppers in old bath tubs for two years now.
I am planting late tomatoes & peppers in an old tub this month to see if it will work for me.

95-100 degree temps are finishing my garden this week. Lettuce and Spinach are done and I did not get to can any of spinach or dehydrate. Tomatoes producing well bagging and putting in freezer to can in winter hopefully. Squash pretty wilted. Okra holding on. Green beans gave me two pickings per row. Usually last for three or more. Zipper cream peas have peas growing, but lack of water and heat may not let them ripen. Selling house and closing in 2 weeks may keep me from taking care of garden.

Weeded the large raised bed.
Planted 2 more rows of green beans and watered them in
Harvested another big handful of swiss chard.
Yesterday harvested huge pile of kale
Plan on sauteing both in onions and garlic with olive oil
Have one tomato and one sweet pepper on my plants. All the others have bud starting as do some of the green beans
Everything is weeks behind this year

Some of my tomato plants have little green tomatoes on them.
Some have blossoms.
Some of my pepper plants have blossoms.
Same thing with my green beans have blossoms.
Grand daughter's whiskey barrel garden is green, lush.
Have no clue what's in there besides okra, asparagus,carrots, wild flowers, and my flower pots of dill, cilitrano she dumped in there.
One of the wild flowers has pink flowers.
But it's green, and lush and she stops to smell each and every time she comes over weekly.
She says it's pretty Granny.

My green beans, zucchini and patty squash have produced really well for me this year and my yellow squash was just ok, but the heat and excessive rainfall is going to be finishing them of soon. I have canned and dehydrated enough to last me a couple years now on the green beans, zucchini and patty so not to worried. In fact i will let the goats and pigs have everything else that produces on those. I got an ok harvest from my spaghetti squash and butternut but they are both dying off now. I planted them on a trellis this year. Couple years ago, they lasted almost all summer, at least till early August so maybe that had something to do with it, but we have been seeing hotter temps earlier this year. I cured those and have them in the stockroom now. Right now tomatoes are coming in full force and started really canning those today. I started with diced tomatoes and tomato juice. Still need to can up so many tomato products to last the year. I was not able to do much canning last year and barely made it into this season of tomatoes.

95-100 degree temps are finishing my garden this week. Lettuce and Spinach are done and I did not get to can any of spinach or dehydrate. Tomatoes producing well bagging and putting in freezer to can in winter hopefully. Squash pretty wilted. Okra holding on. Green beans gave me two pickings per row.
Usually last for three or more. Zipper cream peas have peas growing, but lack of water and heat may not let them ripen. Selling house and closing in 2 weeks may keep me from taking care of garden.
Are you staying in TX? Gardening here is driving me nuts. I'm done with it! It's hard to accept defeat for me and I usually try again but I'm usually too late.
At your next place I hope you can get some plantings in for autumn harvest.
@Dani are you also in TX? If it's not the heat, it's the wind.

Are you staying in TX? Gardening here is driving me nuts. I'm done with it! It's hard to accept defeat for me and I usually try again but I'm usually too late.
At your next place I hope you can get some plantings in for autumn harvest.
@Dani are you also in TX? If it's not the heat, it's the wind.
Yes I am born, bred and living in Texas. We don't seem to have sring and fall anymore. I planted potatoes in February and added others after in March. I live with pure sugar sand, grass burrs and yaupon. Those grow really well and wish I had a market for them. I am on community water and can't afford to water deeply the sand. We will have a well for new house which should be a mile down into pasture. Start garden all over again

Yes I am born, bred and living in Texas. We don't seem to have sring and fall anymore. I planted potatoes in February and added others after in March. I live with pure sugar sand, grass burrs and yaupon. Those grow really well and wish I had a market for them. I am on community water and can't afford to water deeply the sand. We will have a well for new house which should be a mile down into pasture. Start garden all over again
yes I am. About 30 miles as the crow flies inland from the Gulf. We have some wind, lots of heat and quite a bit of rainfall so far. Let's just say I haven't had to water the garden lately, but I do have a well when I need to. A well is a have to for our place with watering the cows and goats but hunny also installed sprinklers around my garden. The only problem is I can only do 1 at a time now. Our well pump went out and hunny listened to the neighbor and downsized from a 60 to a 40 so the water pressure went way down. It takes me basically all day to water now.

Back