Garden 2020.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hoping for a pop-up thunder storm so I don't have to water the garden again lol We'll see. Its hot enough for them now. Gonna be nice for the weekend

The rest of the drip line supplies I ordered came yesterday. I'll be assembling the rest of my system this weekend. If I do it right I should be able to feed it with one water hose and water both raised beds, maters, peppers, cukes, & okra all at the same time. 2-3 hours will do that nicely maybe twice a week when it doesn't rain.

Last couple days we've had about .25' of rain.

I started harvesting my onion chives seeds this morning. Half the blossoms were ready and I got a lot of seeds. Waiting on the others to get finished. I dried enough chives of both garlic and onion last year that I have quart jars full so I'm good with not having any this year.
Garlic chives are growing fine and I've used them in cooking for weeks now

One of my thyme plants that wintered over is ready to be cut so I can dry it.

The oregano I planted this year is starting to grow well and I could get a few small cuttings off of it but I'll hold off for now

Basil is being hateful and hardly growing even though I've fed them and they have sun. Do have to pinch the tops to make them bush out so I'll do that tomorrow morning. Use the tops in a salad

Spinach is trying to bolt so I moved it into the shadier part of the deck to see what it does

Swiss Chard is still growing as is the kale and I'll have to harvest off them tomorrow too

I let the parsley that over wintered go to seed this year ( instead of dividing it) and I'm waiting on the bugs to pollinate the blooms so I get some seeds off it

I also plan to save the seeds from the micro-tomatoes I'm growing to see how they do as an experiment

I've read that its good to have seeds from where your garden is so that they're used to the soil and climate. Sounds reasonable to me so I'm trying it on things I have growing right now

Spinach is done, lettuce bolted, so it's done too. Starting to get a few bulb onions (golf ball size) from the tiny plants I put in 1 gallon pots back in March. Got our first bell peppers today, 2 bananna pepper last week. 3 onions I left in the ground last year are heading to seed this year. Gonna try and attach a paper bag to them to catch the seed. We've harvested 1 cabbage head, got 2 more about ready to pick. 6 Red Cabbage is heading up now. Want to start some seed and have a fall harvest of cabbage.. Kidney beans and taters are blooming, as are snow peas, cukes, peppers, and maters

I got my first bell peppers today, going to have some on a salad tomorrow. I need to dig my potatoes and onions, they are ready. My grt nephews cows got out again and wiped out half my corn... :mad::mad::mad: I'm beyond angry.

My fig trees are loaded this year... If it stays fairly dry there will be a great crop of those.

a garden 130620 (3) sm.JPG
garden 130620 (1) sm.JPG
garden 130620 (2) sm.JPG

Crows got my corn bout as soon as it came up. I may have 1/4 of my crop left. Maybe get enough to eat fresh. Our fig tree is growing, but I have yet to see any fruit.

Thats a shame.Our fig tree has figs all over it, loaded,yet they have gotten ripe in 4 years they just swevel up and die.Maybe something in the aair.:dunno:

Picked 77 more ears of corn today but lost at least that amount the last couple days from squirrels . . . Cob after cob were stripped going down the rows. We just have some fat little tree rats running around here now. I was picking purple bulls and brown Crowders by the hand loads and ended up with 6 gallons of purple hulls and three of the crowders so far but still need to finish that up this evening. Got a few more zucchini, patty squash, banana peppers, bell peppers, jalapenos and yellow squash along with 7 1/2 lbs of tomatoes that got made into hotel tomatoes I canned up today. Found 1 of my watermelons busted open, barely pink on the open side and red on the other. Red it to the goats. Polly Anna was most grateful. . . . :p

Crows have raided my corn just after it came up. :mad::mad:

We had a coon raiding the wives bird feeders so I put out a trap and caught one Saturday night. Dispatched it and thought I was good. Last night another one hit again. Reset the trap for round 2.

Sorry about the crow and coen,and hope you get your wife bird feeder thief.
We liek the cropw that took up here with hens but I know they cn be farmers nightmare.

Are you staying in TX? Gardening here is driving me nuts. I'm done with it! It's hard to accept defeat for me and I usually try again but I'm usually too late.
At your next place I hope you can get some plantings in for autumn harvest.
@Dani are you also in TX? If it's not the heat, it's the wind.

Have you tried using a shade cloth over your garden? That's what we had to do.

Terri, actually, it does get too hot even with a shade cloth, and no, I have not tried it. Tomatoes will not fruit above something...90 degrees, or is it 88? It has been suggested, but my main problem is getting everything planted too late, usually.

We used a shade cloth both in S TX and at our old place in southern NM. The tomatoes slowed way down but it kept them alive and they produced like gang busters when it started cooling down in the fall. It was the only way we could keep our potatoes alive.

Thought I’d try something drastic and see if it works. I bought several plants about the 18th of mar. One was a jalapeno pepper about 1.5ft tall in a little 6-inch container.

I kept forgetting about the jalapeno. I’d water it and think I need to re-pot or set it out. Locally there was a shortage of pots for porch plants. After weeks of searching, I finally found the ones I use at wally’s this week, just got them in.

What the heck… Today I re-potted that jalapeno to a 11-inch pot. It already has peppers one it! Let’s see how tough it is! Will it survive in the middle of fruiting?

The jalapeno pepper plant on my porch survived being re-potted in the middle of fruiting and blooming. I noticed a couple of weeks ago it was blooming again. It has new green peppers growing in the top and the old peppers that were already there didn't drop off and are now turning red.

I guess a jalapeno pepper plant is tougher than I thought.

Jalapeno (2) sm.JPG
Jalapeno (4) sm.JPG

We used a shade cloth both in S TX and at our old place in southern NM. The tomatoes slowed way down but it kept them alive and they produced like gang busters when it started cooling down in the fall. It was the only way we could keep our potatoes alive.

We use shade clothe too,but we just took it off a couple monthes ago to clean roof,so now haave ot put it back up this fall.

Then I will give it a try. Might look funny in the front yard, but the #!@%** mice would have probably destroyed it if I had it in the back yard.

I put a shade cloth on my front porch, of course my porch is about 200ft from the road. This photo is from last year. I took it down last fall and have it up again this year.

My porch faces south and porch plants used to bake against the brick wall in summer. This cloth works wonders... When this one wears out I'll get another one.

Plus... it's cooler when I sit out on the porch during the day.

@Bacpacker jalapeno peppers will turn red with maturity just like any other variety... cayennes, thai, tabasco etc. And just like other peppers they are a little hotter when still green just before reaching maturity.

UV Screen (1)_v1.jpg

Had a storm roll through here yesterday afternoon with high winds, hail and 1 inch of rain in less than 30 mins.
Garden took a beating. The hail was only pea size but it shredded my swiss chard big time. Have to see how it comes back ( or not). Kale held up fine. Green beans held up a little battered but okay. Tomatoes and peppers did well even though there was some piercing from the hail.
Herbs did well but I thinks thats because where I have them located and from which direction the storm came they were protected this time.
Sunflowers are looking rather sick but they may perk up with the sun today. have to wait and see.

Ya never know what Mother Nature will send to try to do in your garden huh? lol

No rain much here the last 2 weeks, so I've been watering a couple times a week. We are starting to get good harvest. Picking a bunch of cukes, peppers, snow peas. Got our first mater and zuchinni. Been picking close to a quart of blueberries every other day. Wife is planning to make some jelly tomorrow. Actually planning to mix mulberries with blueberries.
While I was tilling I saw my kidney beans are about 3" long, but thin. Need rain, same with the great northern that are just now blooming. And my taters, well they are cracking the ground open all around every plant. Gonna dig a hill or two and see how they look.

The jalapeno pepper plant on my porch survived being re-potted in the middle of fruiting and blooming. I noticed a couple of weeks ago it was blooming again. It has new green peppers growing in the top and the old peppers that were already there didn't drop off and are now turning red.

I guess a jalapeno pepper plant is tougher than I thought.

View attachment 45163View attachment 45164

The more you stress the plant the hotter the peppers will be.

Latest posts

Back