Garden 2020.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything is slowing down except the kale and swiss chard. Sweet peppers are making more buds so hopefully I'll get another round of those before alls said and done

I cut seed heads from my flat leaf parsley I let go to seed instead of separating.
Garlic chives in one window box is going to seed also so when they're ready I'll cut those

I have seeds I bought for veggies for next year but I'll have to make sure to start collecting seeds from them. Really want to be able to have my own supply instead of hoping to be able to buy some

Hubby has been mowing more now that he has the zero turn mower so I'm not getting any dandelion seed heads. I want to try to grow them in the green house for some fresh greens

I bush hogged the garden yesterday except my row of cayenne peppers. Today I picked cayenne's for the last time. I went ahead an harvested the last of the jalapeno and serrano peppers from my porch plants. Once I process these the garden will be done for the year.

It's been a wacky year for growing anything, bad year for corn, melons, okra, peas, tomatoes, onions, potatoes and everything else I planted except peppers. Till next year I guess... I'm done.

18sep20 peppers (4) sm.JPG

My tomatoes are still a jungle - I have to stand on my head with a machete to get to them all. We also still have peppers and a second round of chard and late beans. The aphids found the Brussels before we got to them 😢 I need to cut the lavender and pull all the dead stuff, but our air has been "hazardous" and "very unhealthy" so haven't done it yet.

I'm tearing out all my cattle panels that was used for cukes and maters. Cukes have been done for a while. Gonna pick the last of the maters tomorrow and mow once I get all the drip irrigation pulled. I am going to have to inspect it closely and make a list of any replacement parts I need to buy. Some of the T's for the drip lines busted. Seems like UV got to them. I need to check the hoses very closely. I'm really impressed with it over all and want to use it in the future. It was even better in the raised beds than on the ground. Gonna build more beds this fall and winter.

About all we will have left after tomorrow will be bell, banana, and japaleno peppers and a short row of parsnips. Gonna get everything cleaned up, plowed and sow my two big spots with annual rye grass to over winter. I plan to add clover in both spots to build nitrogen.

Fall garden planted-- 6 collard starts and the rest from seed.
Daikon radishes, bok choy, mustard greens and turnips.
I'm still pretending my green pepper plant and tomato plant are going to produce at least one fruit.
Snappy, what else can you tell us about starting daikon radish and bok choy from seed in the fall? I have some of each.

Yea sweet peppers and kale did better than anything else this year here.

WVDragonL have I offended you? I kow you've been ignoring me so gave you time to get over whatever it is but times up. So I'm asking.

I'm still pretending my green pepper plant and tomato plant are going to produce at least one fruit.
Snappy, what else can you tell us about starting daikon radish and bok choy from seed in the fall? I have some of each.

Only that daikon radishes come up quickly and grow well so far and the bok choy has not come up at all.

I'm just now starting to harvest. The greenhouse is a jungle. The green beans reached the top of the greenhouse and started spreading sideways and we have trimmed the tomatoes away from the top of the greenhouse twice now. We pulled the potatoes today and had some huge ones. I started harvesting some basil and found these lovelies.
0806201005_Burst01.jpg

Yea! on the lady bugs. We had them coming out our ears for about 10 years. So many they were a pain trying to get in the house in the fall to hibernate or what ever it is they do.

The last couple of years they have vanished. I almost never see one.

Last edited:
I bought 2 bunches this spring. The first batch stayed for a couple of days and flew off. The aphids discovered the greenhouse so I ordered some more and they did an awesome job. It was extremely satisfying to watch a ladybug larvae chow down on potato beetle eggs. I find a few every now and then but I thought they'd all flown off but I guess they were having a party in the basil.

I had more Roma tomatoes than any of the others. Hundreds of them on 3 plants. We made spaghetti sauce and it's not very tasty.
I grow a cherry tomato out front by the gate so I can just grab a handful as I walk by. Those were good but a big wind destroyed the plant.
I bought my seeds from MIgardener and had good success with the seeds. He charges .99 a package.
What do you put in your spaghetti sauce?

A sun shiny day...got the basil seeds picked and put in a mason jar...they smell so wonderful...love shredded finely basil leaves mixed into cream cheese to put on crackers....miss my goats, would make goat cheese and we loved to do this...miss my great gardens down at the old house...our corn was so beautiful one year...fresh tomatoes sliced with cracked black pepper and finely shredded basil leaves...Mmmm...but then I had mishaps as well...planted gherkin cucumbers and they ended up being puff balls with spikes all over them...never again...and I planted cotton seeds...hubby kept telling me to pull up those weeds, and I would not....waited for my cotton to grow...ended up with devil's claw...he does not let me forget that ....LOL...miss my greenhouse...the roof needs to be redone, had a new one put on, then the hail store took it off...miss my Taiwan pea shoots...so good in salads...

Here's the berry/grape patch. One variety of watermelon isn't doing well with the night temps. I'm not sure they will ripen up. The chickens won't mind. We were going to pull the hog panel down and build a big arbor for the grapes this fall but that depends on the wood prices now!

Our new green house is going to go over the hole. That will give us a 20ft center height for some dwarf citrus. One end is going to be enclosed for empty jar/canning supply storage and a root cellar.

0926201500.jpg
0926201458a.jpg
0926201458.jpg
0926201501.jpg

Last edited:
Your Majesty, your husband is, by definition, the King... :popcorn:

Here's the berry/grape patch. One variety of watermelon isn't doing well with the night temps. I'm not sure they will ripen up. The chickens won't mind. We were going to pull the hog panel down and build a big arbor for the grapes this fall but that depends on the wood prices now!

Our new green house is going to go over the hole. That will give us a 20ft center height for some dwarf citrus. One end is going to be enclosed for empty jar/canning supply storage and a root cellar.

View attachment 50939View attachment 50940View attachment 50941View attachment 50942

All that digging sealed the deal. I've been thinking for a couple days that my old garden hasn't had a break plow or chisel plow run over it in about 10 years. I think it needs the chisel plow.

First I need to bring over a few tons of cow manure from the hay rings but I keep waiting on the youngsters to bring one of the big tractors back here for the winter. I need one of the big tractors to scrape up that much manure.

I have time for the manure... I don't need to run the chisel plows until the winter rains just start, late Octoberish.

All that digging sealed the deal. I've been thinking for a couple days that my old garden hasn't had a break plow or chisel plow run over it in about 10 years. I think it needs the chisel plow.

First I need to bring over a few tons of cow manure from the hay rings but I keep waiting on the youngsters to bring one of the big tractors back here for the winter. I need one of the big tractors to scrape up that much manure.

I have time for the manure... I don't need to run the chisel plows until the winter rains just start, late Octoberish.

You raise your own hay right? My cousin lost her garden to Grazon when she used contaminated cow manure.

I got a lot done in the last few days but this morning, with so much more to do I put my lower back out while watering the ducklings. Picture me shaking my head! The watering can wasn't even heavy and yet...
I got the tomatoes pulled out and in the bin and I'll be planting a variety of buttercup pumpkins, cucumbers and loofah on the trellis to try to break the disease cycle.
I staked the eggplants. I planted 8 eggplants. Don't asked me why. I have been busy slicing, crumbing and par cooking the slices and then freezing them on a cookie sheet and then putting them in large clip lock bags. I'm going to be eating a LOT of eggplant in the future and so are the chickens.

I'll be planting summer cherry tomatoes in the raised beds in the back yard when the back lets me,.
I need to get the nets off the spent broccoli they are flowering up a storm and I wanted to let the bees at the flowers.
My red La Soda potatoes have broken ground and I had wanted to lay down some granular fertilizer before I mulched them. The weeds are getting out of hand and the patch is looking really messy. It's not a good look when it's in the front yard.

Latest posts

Back