Garden 2020.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea! on the lady bugs. We had them coming out our ears for about 10 years. So many they were a pain trying to get in the house in the fall to hibernate or what ever it is they do.

The last couple of years they have vanished. I almost never see one.

Us too Peanut wonder what caused them to popiulate so much a few years ago.

Today I got my sets for next year. The shallots that I planted last winter did really well so I plan to do it again this year. I am hoping that I can get the garden winterized before we get a hard freeze....
I tried to grow shallots once, but didn't really have any luck. I honestly don't think I've ever eaten any. Are they planted in the fall and harvested the next summer?

@Terri9630 , I am very impressed with your greenhouse, your celery and the look of your property! Having been through New Mexico many times, I know that the geography is different in different parts. You have so much potential with your place!

Thanks Weedy. From the paved road you wouldn't even know the forest was here. 6ish miles of dirt road brings you between/around 2 mountain ranges and there's the start of the trees. We are another 5 miles in. Its so peaceful and beautiful.

Thanks Weedy. From the paved road you wouldn't even know the forest was here. 6ish miles of dirt road brings you between/around 2 mountain ranges and there's the start of the trees. We are another 5 miles in. Its so peaceful and beautiful.
That is great that you are hidden from the paved road. It will keep you protected and safer. I don't know why I was thinking of desert like land, like some parts of NM have, but it is lovely!

IMG_1307.jpg

Some of our Alaska grown Yukon Golds. This was a picture of the potatoes from just our first two plants we harvested. We saved enough to supply us with potatoes until about May, which is about how long they will store. I trade with the other homesteader who is the only other human occupant near me, and I got a great supply of smoked salmon in exchange for the spuds and veggies.

View attachment 51543

Some of our Alaska grown Yukon Golds. This was a picture of the potatoes from just our first two plants we harvested. We saved enough to supply us with potatoes until about May, which is about how long they will store. I trade with the other homesteader who is the only other human occupant near me, and I got a great supply of smoked salmon in exchange for the spuds and veggies.

Nice.

We just found 4 Meyer lemons on a tree I had given up on. There are size of oranges as usual. Green now so should turn in next few weeks.
I didn't even see any blooms on the tree not that I looked for them since had given up on these trees about 5 years ago. We have Velencia orange tree too but it hasn't produced in 5 years either.These oranges get the size of grapefriuts when they produced. My friend in Panana Ciry beach has all kinds of grapefruits.

Last edited:
My Red La Soda potatoes are up and a foot and a half tall.
Already I'm seeing them trying to set flowers and I've been busy pulling them off.
Yeah, I know flowers are an indication of the plant starting to produce potatoes but flowers also pull a lot of energy away from the plant and therefor the tubers.
I figure if I pull the flowers off the potatoes will be bigger.
It's an experiment and we'll see if I'm right or wrong.

Well the Great Potato experiment for 2020 is well and truly done.

The potato plants got a disease and pretty much died over the course of a week.
I dug up a row and I got a handful of golf ball sized potatoes.

I guess there comes a time when you throw your hands up and give up.
I'm at that point now with potatoes.
From now on I'm not even going to waste my time even planting them and I'll be growing sweet potatoes.
I've got zero interest growing things in buckets or raised beds so this is where we're at.
The climate is too hot, even in winter for potatoes.

garden is still trying to feed me. we been in 30's at night and several nights into mid 20's now.

mustard and turnip greens,a few small turnips,radishes and walking onions.

DSC02368.JPG

garlic popping ground i planted first of the month.

DSC02376.JPG

not sure why but my yellow potato onions are not keeping at all this year. ionly been growing them 3 years and they done best being planted in spring. i fall planted once and they didnt do well at all. but after looking at them they just are not going to keep so i planted them all out today.84 sets in the ground. i hope to not lose this cultivar as guy i got them from has lost his as well.my dutch reds are keeping fine as well as bottle onions.gardening is a mystery at times.one thing too was this year they were all very very small they only look like sets in fact.

DSC02419.JPG

put another length of weed cloth down over ground i had prepped.i wanted it ready to plant onions in spring super early.i decided to try 20 yellow potato onions down the center to see how they do with the barrier.the rest is reserved for golden shallots, amish yellow bottle onions and dutch red shallots.far cloth has martin garlic popping up from early nov planting. i want to plant in spring sometime in feb or march depending on how cold it is...and how much snow..lol...2021 garden season has started here it seems.

DSC02422.JPG

Sweet corn almost about to produce cobs :). These are bantam open pollinated sweet corn that produce 2 cobs per plant.

Also just recently replanted some capsicums, dwarf bush bean strike seeds, some lebanese cucumber and all year round lettuce seeds. Also just harvested a lot of russian garlic too.

Attachments

• corn sweet growing 1.JPG
    corn sweet growing 1.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Pulled all the tomato plants today. Pepper and been plants will go tomorrow. We will be experimenting this winter to see what will grow in the high tunnel without heat, just a frost fabric.

The answer is nothing. Plants just don't want to grow with single digit temps outside... Who'd have thunk....

Bummer.
Our greens are doing great. Had lettuce and spinach for our salad. The greenhouse here has the panels on it, not the plastic sheeting, and it's in a good spot. Nothings frozen yet, but it'll get in the teens this coming week, so we'll see. I moved all the sprouting jars and sprout buckets out there, too that I use for chicken feed.

The answer is nothing. Plants just don't want to grow with single digit temps outside... Who'd have thunk....
Spinach is the only thing that I have had that really held up under cool weather in a covered raised bed, once it dropped down to 19 even they gave up till spring.

Question, Does anyone on this thread have much experience with container growing of non-traditional container plants? As I get more involved with this indoor gardening, I keep asking myself what other plants can I grow indoors? Would love to have more exchanges with someone with more gardening experience than I have.

Okay, I guess this is where this post goes. In the late winter early spring I usually set up my rain water collection system to get my barrels filled up just as I am planting my spring garden, then I try to use rain water on my garden as much as possible, it seems the keep the plants happy...

But this being 2020 I moved my gardening indoors and now I am starting to use a lot of tap water for my plants. I am concerned about all of the extra stuff in tap water so I have been thinking (smell the smoke).

When I remodeled the kitchen I removed a 3 stage water filtration system as it didn't match the kitchen, I had lots of filters as it was a good system and I try to keep a stock of things I use regularly. I just couldn't bring myself to put it on the truck when I was hauling stuff to the dump, now I look at it and I am thinking, why not install it at my utility sink in the basement? I think the 3 stage filter with carbon would remove most of the chlorine and might make the plants happier, any thoughts?

Last winter, the house we were in had a good sized atrium, and we brought in many tomato plants, other vegetables, and did our wheat grass in there, too. Kept our herbs going year round. We filtered out tap water in our Big Berkey to water the plants with. Our son did an experiment with jade plants...using tap and filtered water. The filtered water made a huge difference.

Latest posts

Back