Garden 2020.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use whole eggs. But I do add crushed eggs shells to my tomato plant hole before the plants go in. It adds calcium to the soil

BackP if it works for you then can't be too bad.Sometimes not sure what to think about all this web infor,huh?

Hubby took a pic of hugelkulture pile yesterday but I think our camera is worn out. My vision is messed up a little nit but I can see the pic is not good. And we need to cut down a few trees.

Either way it is planted and soil looks good. It has dropped down considribly since we built it a few yars ago. Dropped at least a third.

1583687988070.png

BackP if it works for you then can't be too bad.Sometimes not sure what to think about all this web infor,huh?

Hubby took a pic of hugelkulture pile yesterday but I think our camera is worn out. My vision is messed up a little nit but I can see the pic is not good. And we need to cut down a few trees.

Either way it is planted and soil looks good. It has dropped down considribly since we built it a few yars ago. Dropped at least a third.

View attachment 36528
I dont think the photo is bad, At least on my phone it's ok. Will you add more to it or will it be very rich and fertile enough that you can basically leave it alone?

I dont think the photo is bad, At least on my phone it's ok. Will you add more to it or will it be very rich and fertile enough that you can basically leave it alone?

Patch acutuallyyour not suppose to have to ever add to it but yes hubby put a little compost we made around each little planting area we seeded . The logs break down and add all the nutuents the plant needs.

I like this couple,been watching them since they were living in their van a few years ago.

That egit going on about not using milk is also spreading misinformation. A lot of stock farmers mix milk @ a ratio of 1gal/17gal water. This is then sprayed on fields, and I also use it in my tomato patch. It feeds beneficial bacteria and raises the brix index of forages. In other words, makes higher energy food for critters. Tomatoes like calcium and milk added to manure tea makes for excellent results. The moo juice is added to the soil, not the plant and no, I have never had plant diseases because of it.

As far as I'm concerned, his only valid point is that it would be expensive to buy large quantities from the store. I keep 4 Jersey cows for milk., cheese and applying milk to my fields. Many dairy farmers also use their excess milk this way. To demonstrate his lack of knowledge, he goes on to talk about not using eggs. Diem fool. Its egg shells we are using, not eggs and every one knows it. The problem with eggs would be attracting unwanted bugs and varmits. Feed them to the chickens or add them to the compost pile to solve that problem or add them to the soil in the fall.

The guy is talking out of his back side.

Last edited:
That egit going on about not using milk is also spreading misinformation. A lot of stock farmers mix milk @ a ratio of 1gal/17gal water. This is then sprayed on fields, and I also use it in my tomato patch. It feeds beneficial bacteria and raises the brix index of forages. In other words, makes higher energy food for critters. Tomatoes like calcium and milk added to manure tea makes for excellent results. The moo juice is added to the soil, not the plant and no, I have never had plant diseases because of it.

As far as I'm concerned, his only valid point is that it would be expensive to buy large quantities from the store. I keep 4 Jersey cows for milk., cheese and applying milk to my fields. Many dairy farmers also use their excess milk this way. To demonstrate his lack of knowledge, he goes on to talk about not using eggs. Diem fool. Its egg shells we are using, not eggs and every one knows it. The problem with eggs would be attracting unwanted bugs and varmits. Feed them to the chickens or add them to the compost pile to solve that problem or add them to the soil in the fall.

The guy is talking out of his back side.

Thank you Clem for your imput which I think is correct . :thumbs:

I found an apple tree that didn't cost an arm and 2 legs. I got a fuji for $12.99. We are just renting so I don't want to spend a lot of $ on something that we won't benefit from in the long run, but it does need a tree so feel like this is a good donation to the spot for years to come. I'm thrilled.

My onion and garlic chives wintered over. So did my flat parsley and my English thyme. My French thyme has one tiny little green shoot on it right now. I'll wait to see what it does further and I'll probably clip that shoot off and try to grow it into a bigger plant.
Weather is supposed to be cooler ( low 50's and low 60's) and rainy/showerey this coming week.
I want to plant some radish and carrot seeds. Maybe even some lettuce seeds.

My onion and garlic chives wintered over. So did my flat parsley and my English thyme. My French thyme has one tiny little green shoot on it right now. I'll wait to see what it does further and I'll probably clip that shoot off and try to grow it into a bigger plant.
Weather is supposed to be cooler ( low 50's and low 60's) and rainy/showerey this coming week.
I want to plant some radish and carrot seeds. Maybe even some lettuce seeds.

Sorry VWDragonL. We planted lettuce but this heat wave in mid winter isn't going to help it .

I found an apple tree that didn't cost an arm and 2 legs. I got a fuji for $12.99. We are just renting so I don't want to spend a lot of $ on something that we won't benefit from in the long run, but it does need a tree so feel like this is a good donation to the spot for years to come. I'm thrilled.

LadyL glad you found one, wish we could grow apples here but too much weather change.Bllom,freeze,bllom,freeze.

Up until now I didn't have time to plan... now I don't have the energy Sooo! I bought what they had at the ag service company today.

I bought a flat of tomatoes, a peck of white potatoes, a bundle of onions and a pound of sweet corn. If I get another 18 hours without rain I'll get most of it planted tomorrow.

tator mator.JPG

Well I just finished planting 2 dif. varieties of eggplant, capsicums, paprika chilli and comfrey seeds.

Chopped down a pigeon pea bush that had taken over.
A bamboo that is blocking the light in the backyard needs to be hacked down and the poles cured for pole bean supports.
I need to harvest the sweet potato patch and replant it.
Move a trellis from the back yard and move it to the front to grow more tomatoes after I've laid down weed mat.
Yeah, I need to start my tomato seeds. I just need to work out how many of what.

With our weird weather right now I've only planted some carrots and radishes.
I plan to plant some spinach seeds this weekend
Haven't been anywhere to see if their seedlings are in so I can buy some

I’ve been a day behind all week. I didn’t get anything planted today but I got the ground ready and rows laid out with cultivators. It’s supposed to rain tonight so I guess I’ll be planting in muddy conditions tomorrow and Saturday.

Instead of a box blade type implement my dad scavenged a couple of worn out road grader blades and bolted them together over 50 years ago. This “drag” is 3ft wider than a 7ft gang disk and weighs about 200lbs.

Using some eye bolts and short pieces of chain this is then dragged behind the gang disk. It does a beautiful job smoothing out the soil. In an afternoon I can prep 5 or 6 acres… smooth as a baby’s bottom. The ground is then ready for planters or for hand dropping seed, cultivators can be used to lay out the rows.

Some pics…

Drag 01 (1) sm.JPG
Drag 01 (2) sm.JPG
Drag 01 (3) sm.JPG
Drag 01 (4) sm.JPG
Drag 01 (5) sm.JPG

Last edited:
@Support Gunner I used what is called a gang disk in these parts… up north its known as a disk harrow. The rear disks are usually smooth, the front disks are toothed for lack of a better term. Also, the angle of the rear disks can be adjusted independently of the front disks and vice versa (the angle the disks cut through soil). Setting the angles are very important depending what you wish to accomplish, moisture content of the soil and the soil type.

Gang disks 8ft wide or less are usually set up for a 3-point hitch attachment. 8ft and wider usually have an axle, tires and is raised and lowered hydraulically.

Here are some stock photos…

7ft gang.jpg
8ft plus 1.jpg
8ft plus 2.jpg

Heading to the lawn and garden section of Lowes this morning.
I want to stock up on things. I need mulch,garden soil and potting mix and they have some on sale. Gonna go early this morning.
I also want to see what seedlings they have.
My usual plant and garden place, a local hardware store, had a fire and still isn't open ( big disappointment)

Hubby took next week off and he mentioned he wanted to get my greenhouse moved ( whoa! lol)

Skunks, possums and armadillo's all like to dig little holes in gardens looking for bugs to eat. The holes are usually only a couple inches deep and a couple in diameter. Skunks are the worst at it. Borrow a live trap from someone and put some meal worms in it. You'll catch your critter if fireants don't eat the meal worms first.

We have privacy fencing all around the backyard, so I don't think armadillos or skunks will be visiting. Lol. But we've seen the raccoons and possums! I don't want to do live traps but it's a great idea. I will look into that.
It's shady too. I should test the soil ph as well, but was considering growing garden greens in a potting soil bag.

We started our seeds back on march 1st. Today we replanted all the seeds that havent sprout yet.

View attachment 37459

We have carrots started in a 18 gallon bucket outside in the garage. Might do another one of carrots.

We are contemplating growing potatoes and onions.

Looks good Support Gun, ours is coming up now too. :thumbs:

Got a lot planted today. It was sprinkling a little as I worked. My rows are about 90ft long. I got 1.2 rows of potatoes in the ground and a .4 row of onions and 2.4 rows of yellow sweet corn.

I had bought a packet of beet seeds sometime in the last few weeks and decided to plant those also, boy was I surprised! The seeds were sealed in paper with the correct spacing. I’ve never seen that before… I unfolded the paper rolls, laid them in a furrow and covered them. Last pic…

Someone could make a lot of cash with a push plow type implement with a spool on it. If I could buy a 90ft paper roll of sweet corn or okra or peas... Just push the plow as the seed un-rolls… It’d make planting fool proof for city folk. Of course, you’d have to manufacture the rolls of seed and the push implement. With an adjustable plate on the rear it could cover the seed to the proper depth.

20 tator onion (1) sm.JPG
20 tator onion (2) sm.JPG
beets.JPG

Latest posts

Back