Garden 2020.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a lot planted today. It was sprinkling a little as I worked. My rows are about 90ft long. I got 1.2 rows of potatoes in the ground and a .4 row of onions and 2.4 rows of yellow sweet corn.

I had bought a packet of beet seeds sometime in the last few weeks and decided to plant those also, boy was I surprised! The seeds were sealed in paper with the correct spacing. I’ve never seen that before… I unfolded the paper rolls, laid them in a furrow and covered them. Last pic…

Someone could make a lot of cash with a push plow type implement with a spool on it. If I could buy a 90ft paper roll of sweet corn or okra or peas... Just push the plow as the seed un-rolls… It’d make planting fool proof for city folk. Of course, you’d have to manufacture the rolls of seed and the push implement. With an adjustable plate on the rear it could cover the seed to the proper depth.

View attachment 37598View attachment 37599View attachment 37600
Nicerows Peanut.

I tried beets in the seed tape one year. Plan on thinning as they grow. There are multiple seeds in each space.
I use one of there to plant corn, okra, beas, peas, etc

Precision Garden Seeder | EarthWay Commercial Spreaders

I has 5 or 6 seed plates that can be swapped to plant different size seeds. It has a small plow on the front to open the row, drops the seed behind it and has a chain behind that to drag dirt back over the seed. It takes longer to set the depth of the plow and load the seed than it does to plant the row. It's 20+ years old and other than the fertilizer hopper which was an accessory that the plastic cracked on has never given a problem.

@Bacpacker Just wanted to thank you for the onion info. Finally had a chance to watch it and look into it a bit. Good info.! Need to figure out which variety I want.
I have just gone through this thread three times and for the life of me cannot find the post that has onion information. Please, help me.

Your welcome Weedy. They have the best onion slips I've ever bought. Been using them for 5 years or so now. They say their bunches come 75 to a bunch. I rarely open one that don't have 100+ in them. They are a mix of sizes from some near green onions size to very small ones just past germination. I've started sorting them before planting and mix most of them thru the row. The tiny ones I'll put in flower pots and either harvest as green onions or transplant once they get bigger.

I have just gone through this thread three times and for the life of me cannot find the post that has onion information. Please, help me.
Ljust a minute. It was in a different thread. I will look. But it was Dixon farm onions and very helpful site.

I ordered Asian fig cuttings on line 5 for $22.00or $4.40 each, do not need TP or meat/grain. I just hope this guy is for real & sends the cutting from the tree in the photo & not Brown Turkey fig, I have two tree & about 100 cutting of BTF. I pruned the water sprouts off a friends tree & did not want to waste the year old wood, that grew after last years pruning.

Your welcome Weedy. They have the best onion slips I've ever bought. Been using them for 5 years or so now. They say their bunches come 75 to a bunch. I rarely open one that don't have 100+ in them. They are a mix of sizes from some near green onions size to very small ones just past germination. I've started sorting them before planting and mix most of them thru the row. The tiny ones I'll put in flower pots and either harvest as green onions or transplant once they get bigger.
Thank you. I usually get my onion starts at my local hardware store. I have not left my house for several days and was thinking I should call them and ask if they had some. I think I will order them instead.

I noticed my solomon's seal coming up this week. I may harvest some from the near pot this year for tincture... wonderful medicine.

In any case both pots need to be transplanted into the woods this fall. SS likes a shady home.

sol sm.JPG

Started to move the green house closer to the house yesterday. Its 12x12. The rail road ties are heavy! lol
Only had to level out the place 4 inches which was good.

Garden2020 001.JPG
Garden2020 002.JPG
Garden2020 003.JPG

Things have taken on a bit of a frenzy in the garden of late.
I've been hanging off the end of a mattock getting beds back into production.
And, when I run out of puff, I sit down somewhere cool and plant seeds.

So far to date I've planted the following-
Zucchini
Beans
Onions - spring, brown storage and giant sweet.
eggplant.
Chiilis.
Capsicum.
Comfrey.
Tomatoes.
Sweet potato slips.

Every single last one of my precious Motherwort plants have diedin the extreme heat. I'm gutted.
The cost of replacing these precious plants is going to be significant.

Hate to hear you lost all those plants. It's hard enough to get things planted and nurtured up to have them die off.

If the rain holds off and the weather does as was predicted tonight (temps in the 80's and windy) I hope I can get my garden spots worked and maybe get some stuff in the ground. I'll be happy if I can start working it, it's been so wet I haven't touched any of the spots yet this year.

Well the foundation for the greenhouse is ready for the move. Its on a slight slope so we had to add drainage pipes and stones around it. We still have to trim back 2 trees ( pine and honey locust) and empty out the greenhouse then we can move it to its new "home" lol Where it will stay forever(!) 😜

Garden2020 001.JPG

Made a trip to my local walmart this morning in the garden section. Only one other woman there with me. They only had strawberries, some leaf lettuce seedlings and some sage seedlings. I got some of each. They had plenty of Easter flowers not yet blooming. Inside the main store they had the aisle filled with pallets of bulbs of all types and perennial vegs like asparagus,etc and garlic and small bags of strawberries starts ( $3 bag). I picked up a bag and yes I'm going to TRY to grow strawberries again for the 5th time. No onion starts yet that I could find. Also bought a gallon jug of fish emulsion. I still have a quart bottle left to use up.

Very rainy here. It rains every other day. One day cool and rainy the next sunshine,humid and warm(60's). Everything is blooming tree and bush wise right now. Not the berry bushes yet though.

Got all 3 spots plowed with the cultivators, It was dry enough to disk most of 2 of them. I'm hoping to plant some stuff Tomorrow or Monday.
The onions, 2 types of lettuce, and Spinach I planted in flower pots are doing good and starting to grow. Wife is going to transplant the herbs I got tomorrow.
Blueberries and Apple trees are blooming.

We've been having salads every night with all the lettuce and spinach up. Seedlings inside: 4 flats of tomatoes, a flat each of cucumber, zucchini, yellow summer squash. Spring onions still growing inside. Mints and chives are up outside. The greenhouse is full of whatever our son has been planting. He just seeded a few flats of tobacco today. He rolls his own.

My sweet corn is just starting to come up... a few potatoes are breaking the surface also. I went out this morning and set several small fence post and hung green neon fishing line all the way across my corn. Crows hate fishing line. I'm hoping to keep them away from my corn for another week then I'll roll up the line and save it for then next time which will be in about 3 weeks... I have another 1/2 lb of sweet corn seed to plant. The fishing line trick has worked for the past several years for my dad and I. I told my cousin about it now she hangs fishing line from the tops of bamboo poles to keep the crows out of her apple trees.

Since it was going to rain tonight (in fact its raining now) I planted the rest of the beets. That makes one 90ft row of beets, 2 plantings separated by 9 days.

I noticed the onion sprouts I set out are just starting to show signs of life also.

Last edited:
Went to Lowes this morning. Found 8 tomato plants, 1 sweet pepper plant, celery, cabbage plants and a german thyme
I'll have to look at wlamart probably next week some time. Need more pepper plants, cucumber plants and I'd like a zucchini plant this year. I want to grow it on the deck and see if those squash bugs will find it like they do every year. Hopefully not

Went out to the farm and worked the orchard over the weekend. Cleaned up around the base of the trees (they're still small). We put down cardboard (saved from all our Chewy.com orders, lol - they use soy inks), then weigh the cardboard down with mulch. It does a great job of keeping unwanted plants away from the base of the trees. In time we'll do the food forest thing.

Currently working on developing a planting schedule for us based on "The Moon Gardener's Almanac 2020" and the Farmer's Almanac gardening calendar. We have not planted by the moon cycles before.

Went to Lowes this morning. Found 8 tomato plants, 1 sweet pepper plant, celery, cabbage plants and a german thyme
I'll have to look at wlamart probably next week some time. Need more pepper plants, cucumber plants and I'd like a zucchini plant this year. I want to grow it on the deck and see if those squash bugs will find it like they do every year. Hopefully not
Just an FYI cukes and squash are easily started from seed. Plus it gives you access to an wide range of varities.

Back