Garden 2020.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just harvested more kale and swiss chard. Even though its been very hot and humid it still hasn't bolted so I'll just keep on cutting it and using it or freezing it
Picked 4 green peppers this morning
I have one tomato ripening on the vine so far
Also finally have 3 tiny little cucumbers on the vine lol Saw them this morning when I was watering
Need to seed some more radishes. I already went through what I seeded earlier lol
I have green beans but they're not quite large enough yet
Zucchini still is blooming but no fruit. I think thats a bust for this year
Herbs are growing really well now, I'll start cutting and drying them probably next week
Celery is doing well but it won't be as big stalk wise as commercial but I know from last year it has way more flavor than commercial.
Cabbages are ready to harvest. just need to go do it. Probably tomorrow morning
Some time in July I have to start more plants for a fall garden

Watered the garden this morning. It needed it. Gonna be in the 90's for a week at least. Hope we get some rain

I have a tiny zucchini lol Its about an inch long right now
One tomato will be ready to pick tomorrow.
Have to pick the cabbage tomorrow morning
Will pick more green beans tomorrow also
Gonna have a good many green peppers its looks like
Kale just keeps growing without bolting so I just keep watering it and harvesting the leaves lol
If all the blossoms make I'll have a good many cherry tomatoes too

We are getting a bunch of cukes, bell peppers, zuchini, & blueberries right now. Making pickles and blueberry jam this weekend. Gave a way 11 Zuc's this week. Much more than we can eat. Bell peppers are getting eatin, but about ready to start freezing some of them. I've got 2 heads of cabbage to harvest and gonna dig some taters to see how they are looking. Got our first batch of tomatos this week too. I think 6 or 8. We got a bunch of rain this week, so no watering needed for several more days.

When we remodeled 2 years ago my wife and I wanted a greenhouse as part of our cabin. We have been married 40 years and have bought stock's since then finally cashing them out. We have some Amish friends who are also carpenters to they did our remodeling. We have been designing our dream home since day one and now did it. Our cabin is 4,300 square feet with a 800 sq. ft. attached green house. We used a Solexx roof so no additional light is need and this stuff is fantastic. No hot spots as the sunlight spread's out evenly. Once the sun comes up there is light all over which is fantastic in the winter. My wife has Seasonal Affective Disorder and with the Solexx it is now gone!
We are able to grow year round and this year I am expanding what I am growing. I use a combination of soil and now hydroponics. I am astounded at the prices that people are paying for produce locally. My Amish friend has 3 80 ft. greenhouses as well as a couple of fields under cultivation, he said @ the last produce auction green beans were going from $100-140 a bushel!
Normally we grow enough to supply our needs and take some to give away @ our church. I am going to start producing enough to sell locally during the winter to make some money to supplement my SS. I now have 50 plants indoors under cultivation and I wonder how much vine ripened tomatoes will go for this winter.
Cheers!
Sam

Our yellow zucchini is doing good. I'm already giving extras to the neighbor. Our cucumbers are producing well. I didn't check them and we had a bunch that was really big and yellow. They are bitter so I gave them to the neighbor's goats. My winter squash was looking bad, leaves were wilting and turning yellow so I put a sunshade over it and it is looking a lot better. I think I was watering too much so I'm cutting back.
I should eat my first cherry tomato today if I get there before my wife. :)

First small batch of green beans blanched and more peas blanched.

20200708_195402_001.jpg

Looks good Gunner.
We got more cukes, zuchini, maters, jalapenos, bannana, and bell peppers. The peppers are all still blooming like crazy so should continue harvest with those up till frost. Pulled the snow pea vines up. Got almost a quart more blueberries. Also picked my first couple apples and a pear to try and see how close to ready they are.

I'm not sure I'm liking the way these Polish Giant roma tomato plants are growing.
These are a new variety for me and they look "off"/ not quite right/ mutated.
I wanted a better variety of indeterminate roma and I guess I should give them the benefit
of the doubt until harvest time.
I'll keep feeding, watering, clipping etc the way I do with all my tomatoes but my gut is saying I'm going to be deeply disappointed.

I planted some Russian big Roma and am getting the same results/feelings. I am thinking it's two hot for them.

It's not hot here in this part of the world but like you I'm shaking my head everytime I'm out in my tomato garden.
It wouldn't be the first time I took a chance with a new variety only to be disappointed.
I guess it's the times we live in that the disappointment is biting harder.
I got 100 pints to fill at the minimum and I just don't see these plants producing it.

I planted some Russian big Roma and am getting the same results/feelings. I am thinking it's two hot for them.
I've planted a few Russian types in the past, "Anna Russian" being my favorite. I tend to use these as very early season maters. They tend to be hardy to late frost and produce quickly so they are usually about done by hot weather. I may try some next fall and try to grow them under a low tunnel and see how late I can harvest late tomatos.

This afternoon was a first for my lifetime... A weedeater in the garden??? :rolleyes:

Rain has kept me out of the garden for 6 weeks. It's been a big mud puddle, I've needed muck boots just to pull an ear of sweetcorn or pick a tomato. Between 21 and 14 days ago I got over 3 inches of rain. Then there was explosion of growth afterward... the wrong kind.

My poor watermelons, less than half came up anyway. 21 days ago there were cuckleburs, spiny amaranth and morning glories about a foot tall. Today they were over waist high in spots.

I sharpened the metal cutting disk and put it on the weedeater. The watermelons, underneath all the growth, were less than a foot tall with the exception of a few runners beginning to climb cuckleburs. They were also starting to yellow from lack of sun.

Using the weedeater I cut everything over a foot tall!!! I even trimmed the sides of my cayenne peppers, they are blooming profusely. Tomorrow I'll use a grub fork and toss all the wilted (cut) growth aside and do a little more trimming. Maybe now I'll get a few watermelons.

I never thought I'd have to use a weedeater in a garden but there's a first time for everything.
biggrin.gif

This afternoon was a first for my lifetime... A weedeater in the garden??? :rolleyes:

Rain has kept me out of the garden for 6 weeks. It's been a big mud puddle, I've needed muck boots just to pull an ear of sweetcorn or pick a tomato. Between 21 and 14 days ago I got over 3 inches of rain. Then there was explosion of growth afterward... the wrong kind.

My poor watermelons, less than half came up anyway. 21 days ago there were cuckleburs, spiny amaranth and morning glories about a foot tall. Today they were over waist high in spots.

I sharpened the metal cutting disk and put it on the weedeater. The watermelons, underneath all the growth, were less than a foot tall with the exception of a few runners beginning to climb cuckleburs. They were also starting to yellow from lack of sun.

Using the weedeater I cut everything over a foot tall!!! I even trimmed the sides of my cayenne peppers, they are blooming profusely. Tomorrow I'll use a grub fork and toss all the wilted (cut) growth aside and do a little more trimming. Maybe now I'll get a few watermelons.

I never thought I'd have to use a weedeater in a garden but there's a first time for everything. View attachment 46281

I can go near a raaised bed without pulling weeds but still have too many so I need to stayat it.

At the apartment I have the double 5 gallon pail garden going. So far its actually doing ok. I have tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, sage and lettuce. Luckily my dad was nice enough to give me an area in his garden so I have some extra plants by him.

Few more days/weeks till I can start to harvest.

Last year I had 3 medical procedures, so no garden or weeding. I am using a weed eater in my raised bed for the first time.
I going to plant garlic, onions, leeks & cole plants this fall.

Latest posts

Back