Garden 2020.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happend Joel?We lost our blueberry bush and first time out few weeks ago getting mower I bought 2 more, they were $50 for 2!
NO,NO! I am sorry, I meant the fruit is gone as in "out of season", the plants are fine. I am going to have to dig up 30 or so sucker & plant them in rolls this Fall. If you live in S.C., I give you 10 or so rooted sucker for your garden.

Since having had cancer having a regular garden is out for me unfortunately and the greenhouse has been a blessing and a curse. Easy to tend to, just watering-pruning-picking. The curse is that gardening is now so much fun! I still have to spray for pests, but not so much and watering is easy. Hydroponics are simplest of all compared to soil. God has given me so much in the last 4 years, I can't Praise His Holy Name enough!
Sam

Went out this morning and picked more
green beans
2 sweet peppers
kale
swiss chard

I can't get over how the kale hasn't bolted in the heat yet

Here is what we picked tonight. Breaking out the dehydrator tomorrow for the bell peppers. Will can a round of tomatos Friday night or Saturday.

Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 9.29.50 PM.png

Picking everday but today we got our first PEAS (snow peapods). I forgot to plant so they are very late coming.

Pulling all garlic today. Storms coming Saturday and don't want any splitting or waste due to my hoping for bigger bulbs.
Picked 5 giant grocery store bags full of different lettuces (arugula, leaf, and this Johnny's Ovation mix). LOVE this time of year and am super surprised the lettuces didn't bolt.

Filling gallon ziplocs with finely chopped Russian purple kale. Would like 10 frozen. I thought it was escarole (hahaha on me). We freeze them for addition to every recipe in which I can hide Kale since I hate it. I use it in chili, (almost a powder) soups, stews, gravies etc. As long as I can't taste it, I will eat it.

No red tomatoes yet. A few cabbages from some store bought seedlings may be ready this weekend. I always buy a few seedlings of most items I plant (not tomatoes this year for the 1st time) so I can compare my hundreds of seedlings with the professionals and get better.
My hundreds of tomato plants are enjoying the break from the 90F weather that came so early and now will hopefully really produce when it shortly returns. Hope everyone else is enjoying their gardens as much as I am.

I truly believe I see God in my garden every day as beautiful food forms from these tiny seeds, dirt, sun, water and work.

My Winter Squash has turned yellow and is almost dead. I thought too much water so I cut back. Then I thought maybe too much sun so I put a shade cloth over it. It is past saving. We had 3 melons planted close to the same place as the squash and they all 3 died. My wife thinks there is something in the soil because this is the same area we had corn in last year and all the corn stalks turned black and dead looking. Is it possible the corn did something to the soil?
I don't put anything in my garden except some Miricle Grow and not much of that.
Another problem I have is all my cucumbers are bitter. No idea why. They are not planted in the same area as the corn was last year. Peas didn't do much this year either. Overall my garden isn't doing very well except the jalapeno peppers and hopefully tomatoes.

My Winter Squash has turned yellow and is almost dead. I thought too much water so I cut back. Then I thought maybe too much sun so I put a shade cloth over it. It is past saving. We had 3 melons planted close to the same place as the squash and they all 3 died. My wife thinks there is something in the soil because this is the same area we had corn in last year and all the corn stalks turned black and dead looking. Is it possible the corn did something to the soil?
I don't put anything in my garden except some Miricle Grow and not much of that.
Another problem I have is all my cucumbers are bitter. No idea why. They are not planted in the same area as the corn was last year. Peas didn't do much this year either. Overall my garden isn't doing very well except the jalapeno peppers and hopefully tomatoes.

Could be a fungus in the soil. We had problems with damping off. Bought a fungicide and drenched the soil and now we have strong bean seedlings everywhere.

Onions, bunchingAug – Mar
Onions, shallotsAug – Mar
Peas, EnglishJan – Mar
Peas, SouthernMar – Aug
PeppersFeb – Apr and July – Aug
PotatoesJan – Mar
Potatoes, sweetMar – June
PumpkinMar – Apr and Aug
RadishSep – Mar
SpinachOct – Nov
Squash, summerMar – Apr and Aug – Sep
Squash, winterMarch and August
StrawberryOct – Nov
TomatoesFeb – Apr and August
TurnipsJan – Apr and Aug – Oct
WatermelonMar – Apr and July – Aug

Onions, bunchingAug – Mar
Onions, shallotsAug – Mar
Peas, EnglishJan – Mar
Peas, SouthernMar – Aug
PeppersFeb – Apr and July – Aug
PotatoesJan – Mar
Potatoes, sweetMar – June
PumpkinMar – Apr and Aug
RadishSep – Mar
SpinachOct – Nov
Squash, summerMar – Apr and Aug – Sep
Squash, winterMarch and August
StrawberryOct – Nov
TomatoesFeb – Apr and August
TurnipsJan – Apr and Aug – Oct
WatermelonMar – Apr and July – Aug

Time for us to get busy this is our planting guide here.

Is there any way to test for fungus or do you just treat the soil and hope that was the problem?

You can call the county extension agent and ask about soil testing. They should know where to test and what's common in your area. Damping off is usually caused by a fungus so we just treated for it and it worked.

Pulled my onions and carrots today. Small lot of carrots but have more growing up the mountain. Onions did pretty well except for the ones I didn’t break the scapes on. Pulled garlic last week- what was left of it after the vole filled up in early spring. 5 large globes and 3 regular. Delicious! My tomatoes are a jungle but not ripe yet. I had to start pruning them! They don’t need to keep vining- oy. 😁

NO,NO! I am sorry, I meant the fruit is gone as in "out of season", the plants are fine. I am going to have to dig up 30 or so sucker & plant them in rolls this Fall. If you live in S.C., I give you 10 or so rooted sucker for your garden.

Our new Blueberry plants are not looking good ,we transplanted htem into larger container which we added sand, peatmoss and perlite,maybe too much sand.
We don't have any fertilizer so need to put some compost in there soon as its ready which I haven't been turning it so not breaking down quick enough. Hubby did turn it once last month.
I neeed to get up earlier before it gets too hot. Any suggestion on how ro make soil more acidic for the blue berries?

I just went ahead and bought some stuff at the hardware store for the blueberries. You only need a little bit to add to the ground.
But I do know that sphagnum peat moss will acidify the soil for them too. I just didn't have any at the time.
I try not use the iron sulfate too much because the metal accumulates in the soil.
I also use pine needles as a mulch on my blueberry bushes

I just went ahead and bought some stuff at the hardware store for the blueberries. You only need a little bit to add to the ground.
But I do know that sphagnum peat moss will acidify the soil for them too. I just didn't have any at the time.
I try not use the iron sulfate too much because the metal accumulates in the soil.
I also use pine needles as a mulch on my blueberry bushes

Thank you will try the pine needles ,we did manage to save 2 pines trees so will use that. Have to pick up screens at Home Depot so maybe check on acid tpe ferilizer, although it will be the first time we used any non organic on plants desperate rims call for desperate actions.

Pine needles & Peatmoss are good untill they are composted then they are 6.5 or 7.0 pH.
If your soil is 4.5, 5.0, or 5.5, you do not need to add sulfur.

Why Lower Soil pH? Some plants (such as blueberries or azaleas) are adapted to grow in acid soils — even as low as pH 4.5. If you are trying to grow them you may want a soil pH less than 6, but remember that even acid-loving plants have their limits. Photo by Phillip Owens, Purdue Agronomy Table 1. Effects of soil amendments on pH. Amendment Effect Biological Reactions Organic matter The reduction in pH is due to microbial degradation and production of organic acids. Large amounts are required. Ammonium fertilizers A comparatively minor effect on soil pH when used in appropriate amounts as a nitrogen fertilizer. Diammonium phosphate, monoammonium phosphate, and ammonium sulfate have more acidic potential than urea or ammonium nitrate. Calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate increase soil pH so should be avoided if pH is already too high. Elemental sulfur (S) Creates acidity as bacteria form sulfuric acid from elemental sulfur. Nonbiological Reactions Aluminum sulfate (Al2 (SO4 ) 3 ) and iron sulfate (FeSO4 ) Chemical reactions create acidity, therefore less temperature dependent than for biological reactions.
https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ho/ho-241-w.pdf

Since having had cancer having a regular garden is out for me unfortunately and the greenhouse has been a blessing and a curse. Easy to tend to, just watering-pruning-picking. The curse is that gardening is now so much fun! I still have to spray for pests, but not so much and watering is easy. Hydroponics are simplest of all compared to soil. God has given me so much in the last 4 years, I can't Praise His Holy Name enough!
Sam

Sam thats good on both parts, beating cancer plus enjoying your greenhouse and hydroponic gardening.:thumbs:

Pine needles & Peatmoss are good untill they are composted then they are 6.5 or 7.0 pH.

Why Lower Soil pH? Some plants (such as blueberries or azaleas) are adapted to grow in acid soils — even as low as pH 4.5. If you are trying to grow them you may want a soil pH less than 6, but remember that even acid-loving plants have their limits. Photo by Phillip Owens, Purdue Agronomy Table 1. Effects of soil amendments on pH. Amendment Effect Biological Reactions Organic matter The reduction in pH is due to microbial degradation and production of organic acids. Large amounts are required. Ammonium fertilizers A comparatively minor effect on soil pH when used in appropriate amounts as a nitrogen fertilizer. Diammonium phosphate, monoammonium phosphate, and ammonium sulfate have more acidic potential than urea or ammonium nitrate. Calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate increase soil pH so should be avoided if pH is already too high. Elemental sulfur (S) Creates acidity as bacteria form sulfuric acid from elemental sulfur. Nonbiological Reactions Aluminum sulfate (Al2 (SO4 ) 3 ) and iron sulfate (FeSO4 ) Chemical reactions create acidity, therefore less temperature dependent than for biological reactions.

Thank you Joel .

I didn't know that peat moss would make soil more acidic. I do know it improves the condition of clay soil. My plan is to have a bag of peat moss always and whenever I am planting, to add some to the soil. Too many years of struggling to get things to grow that just croak, and now the peat moss is making a huge difference in how thing look after being planted.

Most sandy soils are alkaline. They lack organic material that lowers the ph. The soil ph at our old place was almost 9. Its a bit better here on the mountain but still alkaline.

I forgot to mention, last couple days our fig tree has produced about a gallon and half of figs. :thumbs:
Very surprised becuase in june it had little green fruit that sheiveld up and dies but the other side of tree has large beautiful figs on it.
I had given up and didn't even pay it attention till hubby came in with bowl of figs ,I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.:lil guy:

Back