Garden 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of mine were frozen fro several years. They all sprouted but didn't come up right of course we had a couple cold nights that did n't help either.

I'm still in "baby steps" mode for saving seeds. I have saved okra seeds for several years now. It's normally slow to come up and likes warm soil temperatures to germinate. Tried something new this year. I transplanted a very long row of them that I had started in the greenhouse but had a dozen or so holes where I needed more. So I took some seeds, put them in water in a small dish, and put that on top of our water heater. In 36 hours, they were just about all showing a tiny little sprout happening. I took them directly to the garden and put them in their little holes. I think it took a few days, but nearly every one of those little babies came up! So I think next year, I'll do the soaking in water on the water heater trick again. Will probably save a week of waiting.

I've saved sunflower seeds. I've saved pumpkin seeds. I've saved pepper seeds. I've saved some bean seed of several kinds. I've saved a lot of tomato seeds. And maybe a few more that won't come to mind. A few that I really would like to save are brassicas (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts), pea seed, carrot seed, squash seed, corn seed (I wanna try some open pollinated, there are a couple of varieties), spinach, beets,... I know, lots of possibilities. And I know one has to be mindful of cross pollination on some stuff way more than other stuff. I'm likely to run out of time way before I run out of stuff to try.

I'm still in "baby steps" mode for saving seeds. I have saved okra seeds for several years now. It's normally slow to come up and likes warm soil temperatures to germinate. Tried something new this year. I transplanted a very long row of them that I had started in the greenhouse but had a dozen or so holes where I needed more. So I took some seeds, put them in water in a small dish, and put that on top of our water heater. In 36 hours, they were just about all showing a tiny little sprout happening. I took them directly to the garden and put them in their little holes. I think it took a few days, but nearly every one of those little babies came up! So I think next year, I'll do the soaking in water on the water heater trick again. Will probably save a week of waiting.

I've saved sunflower seeds. I've saved pumpkin seeds. I've saved pepper seeds. I've saved some bean seed of several kinds. I've saved a lot of tomato seeds. And maybe a few more that won't come to mind. A few that I really would like to save are brassicas (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts), pea seed, carrot seed, squash seed, corn seed (I wanna try some open pollinated, there are a couple of varieties), spinach, beets,... I know, lots of possibilities. And I know one has to be mindful of cross pollination on some stuff way more than other stuff. I'm likely to run out of time way before I run out of stuff to try.

Pop we all need to know how to save seeds too if the power goes out. I haven'rt saved seeds long period of time without power. I need to study on that too.

Yes, most seeds just need to be kept dry and in the dark. I like to use envelopes and place them in the back of the pantry.

I want to cry when you talk okra, I killed what I had this year (too eager) and I don't have any of the seeds that I wanted to try left. I still have lots of I-saved-um's just note of the "special" seeds.
Urban. I have well over a gallon of Red Burgandy Okra seed. It's been in the family for a long time. I'd be happy to send you, or anyone else some seed

Urban. I have well over a gallon of Red Burgandy Okra seed. It's been in the family for a long time. I'd be happy to send you, or anyone else some seed
Thanks, for the offer but I'm fine.

I was really looking forward to trying that heavy hitter stuff... I have some seeds from a north south variety that seem to work well here. It just ticked me off I ordered 3 packets but with only about 10 seeds per packet there was no room for error. The next time they have it in stock I will order a gross to make sure I have enough to cover any of my mistakes.

Thanks, for the offer but I'm fine.

I was really looking forward to trying that heavy hitter stuff... I have some seeds from a north south variety that seem to work well here. It just ticked me off I ordered 3 packets but with only about 10 seeds per packet there was no room for error. The next time they have it in stock I will order a gross to make sure I have enough to cover any of my mistakes.
Let me know if u change your mind

I know - some folks like the slimy stuff.

I'm not one of 'em. We do freeze about 30 quarts or so, sliced into rounds. My dear wife will put it in a ziplock bag with seasonings of some kind and then dump that into a fryin' pan. It's not exactly breaded and fried like you buy in the store. Way too much work doin' that. But what she does is really tasty. I don't think she even has a recipe, just kinda throws stuff together.

Maybe for soups or stews where the okra is no longer recognizable, I wouldn't mind it. No desire to eat boiled okra, though. That stuff is slimy.

The garden is coming along nicely. The pup trampled some of my jalapeno plants so I set out a few more today.

The potatoes did well, be ready soon. We got 4 thick rows of okra, needs to be thinned a little. Dad has a few tomato plants, noticed them blooming today. We had planted 2 long rows of peas, looks like only one came up.

We've planted corn twice, seed I bought for dad first then seed I didn't plant last year, bad seed both times. Hopefully I can find good seed in the next few days so I can plant again. None of the watermelons came up, only a few of the cantaloupes... looks like another strange year.

14may21 (1) sm.JPG
14may21 (2) sm.JPG

Okra below

14may21 (3) sm.JPG

14may21 (4) sm.JPG

1 row of peas

14may21 (6) sm.JPG

Peanut, do you, or any others on here ever measure your soil temperature in your gardens or beds? I was discussing soil temps with my dad Sunday. We came to the conclusion the soil is still too cool, even as late in the year as it is. Our cool weather crops are thriving, but the warm weather crops either are slow coming up, or just not growing much at all. I think I'm going to try and find one and start using it.

Measure no, is the soil still cool? Yes, this happened last year. It stayed cold until the middle of May.

I'm seeing the same thing you are. The ground is about 10 degrees colder than it should be. My daily high temps from the local weather man are, and have been, running 10 degrees below normal for the past month.

Edit to add... last year was even colder... No sun but for a few days...

Last edited:
Measure no, is the soil still cool? Yes, this happened last year. It stayed cold until the middle of May.

I'm seeing the same thing you are. The ground is about 10 degrees colder than it should be. My daily high temps from the local weather man are, and have been, running 10 degrees below normal for the past month.

Do you think the Grand Solar Minimum may be playing a part in that? Our winter wasn't real cold for any length of time, but other than a couple weeks in March and April it's been very cool here all spring.

Do you think the Grand Solar Minimum may be playing a part in that? Our winter wasn't real cold for any length of time, but other than a couple weeks in March and April it's been very cool here all spring.
We are the opposite. We went from winter to summer. Warm and dry here. Going to be an early fire season.

Came out to water and something ate some of our melon plants right off to the ground. Saw a couple holes in the ground so we dug down and found the culprit. Took a lot of research but found out the nasty little worm we found is a cutworm. Not a lot we can do about them from what I’m reading. DE on top of the soil but they will eat the roots of the plant underground also. Not looking good for the garden this year for some of the plants I’m afraid.
Got to eat my first strawberry and it was delicious!
I ordered a net for our fig tree and it finally came. Not sure if it will work or not but would love to finally get some figs before the birds wipe them out. Was interesting to get the net on but hopefully it works.
Corn has gone crazy so far. Time to thin them out this weekend.
Peppers are still slow but are all growing so I’m hopeful we actually get some.

Depending on your soil type, you can see where they have been tunneling just under the surface and find them. There are also benificial nematodes that will help with grubs and ants.

We had a dry April over all and a couple fair size fires. But May has been WET. Suppose to be up in the 80's next week. I'm just fine with 60s & 70s
I've been home a good part of the day and have had the sprinkler going all day (even when I had to leave) in order to try to give the ground a good soak and help the plants get going. Dry even deep.

I've been home a good part of the day and have had the sprinkler going all day (even when I had to leave) in order to try to give the ground a good soak and help the plants get going. Dry even deep.

Not good when things are that dry down deep already. What is your average annual rainfall? I guess I assumed you were western Washington. But I'm guessing now your are more in the east

Peanut, do you, or any others on here ever measure your soil temperature in your gardens or beds? I was discussing soil temps with my dad Sunday. We came to the conclusion the soil is still too cool, even as late in the year as it is. Our cool weather crops are thriving, but the warm weather crops either are slow coming up, or just not growing much at all. I think I'm going to try and find one and start using it.

I haven't measured it but it does seem to be an important factor here.

What I did do this year, for the first time, was use black woven ground cover pretty much everywhere I can. That really does seem to warm the soil up ahead of what it would be uncovered. My reasoning wasn't so much about earlier soil temperature warming but rather for keeping weeds / grass from encroaching from the aisles to the rows. Now, it's all covered, aisles and rows, all except a few places I didn't figure out quite how to make it practical in the row itself.

Depending on your soil type, you can see where they have been tunneling just under the surface and find them. There are also benificial nematodes that will help with grubs and ants.

That’s how we figured out what it was. We dug down. Found a large one and a little tiny one. May try the nematodes again. Good idea. We haven’t done them in a few years.

Latest posts

Back