Garden 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husband was telling me I planted waayyy too many tomatoes. Reminded him we can eat them fresh, can some, freeze some, and dehydrate a whole lot. I dehydrate sliced and some I powder. So, see Urban....they don't all have to be canned. And get a Jamaican cap to wear if you're going to sell pot at the farmer's mkt, Urban.

@Terri9630 and @Biggkidd Within a year or two of it being legal, you will be amazed to find someone who you can carry on a decent conversation with. It's amazing how many people will do it just because now it's legal. Also finding any sort of help whether hiring or needing assistance in a store will be like communicating with a complete ditz even if they were potentially intelligent at one time. People think it doesn't affect them :confused:

There are many people who invested in the companies that the first legal pot farmer bought from, by the time the third state had became legal, the supply companies stock went though the roof & investor cashed in a big wind fall. Better than Bit coin for some investors.
I wouldn't put any of my money into it.

About 10 years ago before it was approved for medical use it was going for $800 an ounce. Now it is going for $300. Once it is legal everywhere it will just become another commodity.

Ben

My tomatoes are now taller than I am, I saw several little cucumbers on the overhead cucumber plants, so now we are in that waiting pattern where you can see the fruit but it's not ready to be picked.

I told my wife that the way I see it by the second week of July we will be ready to start canning tomato products. Her response was not what I expected, "Mid July, you've got to be kidding... Last time you did this we were canning till the first week of November." I responded, don't worry, the way I have the tomatoes supported it will easy to put a frost shield over them and can keep them going till Christmas (I was telling a tall tail, I hope). My goal is to get 40# of tomatoes per row-foot of tomato plants.
After seven or so years my volunteer tomatoes technique seems to have failed. I may have to resort to actually planting some next year.

Ben

Walked around the gardens today after a big rain, took a few pics.

1) Monarda is in full bloom

2) 4 rows of okra are up, got it plowed before the rain.

3) Tomatoes are loaded, not many plants. Dad wanted to grow the tomatoes this year, not able to handle 40 or 50 plants like he used to.

4) Peppers are loaded and peas are about 6” tall. We never got a decent stand of corn. I planted 3 times, first two times there might have 8 or 9 stalks total. The last time only 2 of 4 rows came up… and then only about 1/4 of each row.

a monarda (1)a.JPG
a monarda (3)a.JPG
c okraa.JPG
d tomatioes (1)a.JPG

d tomatioes (2)a.JPG
e pepper n peasa.JPG

Last edited:
Next

1) Elderberry is in full bloom

2) Going to be a bumper crop of figs

3) Picked a few “Indian Peaches” today, it’s what we call them. They are a white peach and native. They’ve been growing wild around our barns and livestock pens since I was a kid. Sometimes I find them around old homesteads or beside gravel roads. Since they aren’t cultivated they only produce a few peaches each year but they are very tasty.

f elderberry (1)a.JPG
f elderberry (2)a.JPG
g figs (1)a.JPG
g figs (2)a.JPG
g figs (3)a.JPG
h peachesa.JPG

Just but in a big (for me) seedling order at the big hardware store.
This year I have no energy or drive to seed start. I'm going to be flat out pulling out over 27 mtrs of trellis -t posts and concrete reinforcing mesh, that I grow my tomatoes on and shifting them to a new part of the garden.
Of course I need to prep the ground, lay weed mat, dripper line and header pipe before I put up the trelis.
Seed starting is a bridge too far this season.
I ordered the following seedings,
18 zucchini.
18 broccoli.
30 Roma
6 Beef steak.
The old tomato garden I will be reworking, laying fresh weed matting, dripper tape and header pipe and planting the zucchini, broccoli, dwarf french green beans and snow peas. The broccoli will have to have low tunnels put over them the second I'm done planting them. The cabbage moths are ferocious in this neck of the woods and the veggie net low tunnel won't be lifted again until harvest.
Every seedling planted will have to have a collar of aluminum foil put around the stem or the cut worms will kill them overnight.
These seedlings will get me started until I have time to catch my breath and get my strength back again.

Walked around the gardens today after a big rain, took a few pics.

1) Monarda is in full bloom

2) 4 rows of okra are up, got it plowed before the rain.

3) Tomatoes are loaded, not many plants. Dad wanted to grow the tomatoes this year, not able to handle 40 or 50 plants like he used to.

4) Peppers are loaded and peas are about 6” tall. We never got a decent stand of corn. I planted 3 times, first two times there might have 8 or 9 stalks total. The last time only 2 of 4 rows came up… and then only about 1/4 of each row.

View attachment 67763View attachment 67764View attachment 67765View attachment 67766

View attachment 67769View attachment 67770
Big gardens like this make my heart happy.

I don't know what the rules will be for growing okra down south, but in Ontario, it was set up for big green house growers with a lottery for limited licenses. They limited it to two okra plants for personal use.

Of course the gov botched it and didn't plan the distribution end of things. Most of the legit okra growers went belly up and lost a lot of money.

They also had to compete with former shady but professional okra growers who simply undercut the newbies following the rules and they apparently had a better selection as well, as the gov restricted the varieties allowed.

Here in BC, I am not sure how its working out, but there is an okra store on practically every block.

Last edited:
You're going to have lots of zucchini, Tank. Are you preserving it some way?

I feed them to my chickens.
I hard boil eggs in the sun oven and then feed the hard boiled eggs and zucchini through a apple crusher.
I feed the eggs through first and then the zucchini will clean the egg residue off the crushers gears.
In summer I grow loofa instead of zucchini and use them the exact same way.
apple crusher.JPG

Yes, there are actually several more.

@Tank-Girl where'd you get that... apple crusher you say? Never seen one.

I got it off ebay.
I wanted a mechanical/ non-electric way of making home made chicken food when SHTF or when inflation hits making grain based chicken food impossible to get.
It does a really good job at crushing/ chopping turnips, corn cobs, sweet potatoes, squash into a size that the chickens will eat without too much effort.
I sit it on top of a 5 gallon bucket and the crushed product falls down into it.
I could refine the process by cutting rebates in the top edge of the bucket to hold the legs of the crusher and stop it from sliding but...I'll put it on the list of stuff I need to get to.
Beats the heck outta using a chinese mandolin. I like my finger tips the way they are.
I put the older hard boiled eggs through the mix to give extra protein.
My chickens will eat the mix I make up because they know if they don't they'll go hungry....so no fussy chicken at my place.

Went out last night after supper and pruned the south side of my tomatoes at their base. In the process I found a dozen plum-sized tomatoes so now they will be getting some sun. This will also shed some light on some pepper and basil plants that are cohabiting in the bed. On the north side the spinach and the celery both seem to like the cool shade. After I had got all itchy and scratchy outside, I came in and removed my indoor tomato plant (the smell was overwhelming as I cut and bagged the plant) found another half dozen tomatoes hidden behind the container in the process. I have now attached wheels to all my indoor growing stations, I am hoping this will reduce their foot print and help ease the burden of cleaning around them. As quick as I finished I had to take a shower. I am allergic to most green things, grass, pollen, hay.... I haven't met the plant I couldn't sneeze at. ;)

Hey @Biggkidd, so does that mean I only need to plant 1 or 2 of the tomatoes I want and clone the rest? If I had them started early enough think of the space I could save, and a packet of seeds could last a lifetime. :) Now my mind is racing, too bad my body is stuck in neutral.

Sorry to hear about your sister. Yes tobacco is on the way out which may just kill me it is my worst habit. But then again I have been on borrowed time since 05 so everything since then I feel like has been bonus time. lol Took the Docs from april till Oct to figure out I had MS and the spinal taps 5 of them dang near finished me off. Had spinal fluid leaking inside for months. I didn't know until then that stuff is highly poisonous if it gets outside the cord or brain cavity. When that stuff leaks out your brain shrinks as it dries makes migraines feel like a walk in the park! None of the other symptoms were any fun either...
Years ago, I had spinal anesthesia while delivering my first and second child. For my third they were doing epidurals.
After the spinal with my second child, I did have a spinal fluid leak. If I laid flat in my back, I was okay. Being upright for 20 minutes or so to shower, tend my baby, etc resulted in the horrific headache you mentioned. I’ve had migraines in the past, too. Those spinal headaches were very painful.
I wish you the best health possible.

Years ago, I had spinal anesthesia while delivering my first and second child. For my third they were doing epidurals.
After the spinal with my second child, I did have a spinal fluid leak. If I laid flat in my back, I was okay. Being upright for 20 minutes or so to shower, tend my baby, etc resulted in the horrific headache you mentioned. I’ve had migraines in the past, too. Those spinal headaches were very painful.
I wish you the best health possible.
Glad you got past it as I did. That said it's not something I would wish on ANYONE or ANYTHING! Good Health to us all!

I just read when you pull the suckers from the tomato plant, put them in some water and they will produce another plant.
has anyone ever heard or done this?

I just stick them in the garden where I want them. Plant them deep.

I got it off ebay.
I wanted a mechanical/ non-electric way of making home made chicken food when SHTF or when inflation hits making grain based chicken food impossible to get.
It does a really good job at crushing/ chopping turnips, corn cobs, sweet potatoes, squash into a size that the chickens will eat without too much effort.
I sit it on top of a 5 gallon bucket and the crushed product falls down into it.
I could refine the process by cutting rebates in the top edge of the bucket to hold the legs of the crusher and stop it from sliding but...I'll put it on the list of stuff I need to get to.
Beats the heck outta using a chinese mandolin. I like my finger tips the way they are.
I put the older hard boiled eggs through the mix to give extra protein.
My chickens will eat the mix I make up because they know if they don't they'll go hungry....so no fussy chicken at my place.

That's cool!

Soil envy
BEAUTIFUL Elk!

rocks and more rocks with black soil in between is more like it. you know i started this garden last year to be my dream garden. its going to take awhile. but i am getting piles of slash from tree tops we are cutting now. i be burning lots for bio char come winter and soaking it in urine,worm casting tea etc. to charge it up.

its only beautiful if it produces..long time till harvest.

Latest posts

Back