Garden 2021

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
First time I've ever been able to successfully grow corn. Despite the hail... So far I have a dozen or so "pretty" ears in the freezer and canned 15 pints and I still have more to pick.IMG_20210812_191705545.jpgIMG_20210912_134627279.jpg

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Way to go first timer! Congrats.
Thanks, though it's not my first time trying. We've never been able to get the corn to ripen before something ("storms, heat, rabbits..) destroyed the plants.

bamadeb48

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I only have okra and some late zippier peas left, planted the peas after gathering October beans. I wanted to plant some kale and collards but wher I buy plants ,the plants were ateup with bugs, nothing left nearly of the plants, so ther is a farm about a mile up the road,that raises such big beautiful collards for 3$ a huge bunch so I will buy some from them.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A coupla things: I picked 2 big bowls of tomatoes today - best picking yet. It's supposed to rain tonight/tomorrow so I covered the 4 plants that are most loaded hoping they don't split. Quite a few that will be ready in a few more days.
Also, you folks taught me something. I didn't know what determinate and indeterminate meant w/ respect to tomatoes. Germans are definitely indeterminate!!! Up the mountain, we had a good year once and the tomatoes grew to about 5'. I don't remember which kind. Here they just create a jungle. This year they are weird due to the excessive heat for 2 months straight, but the German is a monster. The first fruit from it should be about perfect when Hubby comes back from hunting.
Also, also, you all make me feel better. I can't seem to grow corn, but thought it was just me. Maybe but not definitely. This year the corn was smaller here again due to the heat. @Amish Heart That's a nice neighbor!

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My corn is growing great this year. The field corn, despite the hail damage is over 10ft and we may actually get a harvest. The sweet corn is about 5 1/2 ft tall. The field corn is behind it.
IMG_20210915_132345910.jpg

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here they are from last year View attachment 72278. Huge broccoli also
Them folks know how to grow collards!

My corn is growing great this year. The field corn, despite the hail damage is over 10ft and we may actually get a harvest. The sweet corn is about 5 1/2 ft tall. The field corn is behind it.
View attachment 72462
Looks nice... glad someone did well.

I felt so bad for dad when he accidentally plowed up the few corn plants we had growing... He was so embarrassed

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I covered my tomatoes during the rains & so far it looks like they are okay. It wasn't rain like most of you have encountered.
Also, my beans are finally coming on! Crazy - they should be long gone, and they are now getting a bunch of young beans and many ripening. I'm not complaining - am happy. I've spent the past 3 days in the kitchen preserving food. I told Hubby I just feel the need to preserve as much food as possible.

Latest posts