Garden 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet, I might grow a bean plant for hoots and giggles.

Glutton! lolol, I was so happy to be out of the cow business after 18 years. I was even happier when that boy left with the last load of his cows the other day.

What did I do? I bought one of them!
brickwall100.gif

Glutton! lolol, I was so happy to be out of the cow business after 18 years. I was even happier when that boy left with the last load of his cows the other day.

What did I do? I bought one of them! View attachment 76374
But he's such a cute little bugger - and he likes you 😊

Early in the 1990's husband and I raised and bred large parrot breeds. After third child on his way, and a move in our future, we sold them. Lots of macaws, cockatoos, amazons... and about five years ago we found an african grey parrot that was lost. Still have him. Will always have a bird.
You'll probably always have a cow, Peanut

Just made and downloaded some pdf files from my WV Extension Service on which types of veggies grow well here in WV.
They had information on beets, corn, melons, squash, pumpkin, green beans, tomatoes and cauliflower.
Now I know which ones to look for to try to grow.

May have to email them for suggestions on carrots, peas, cabbage and berries (other than blueberry) since I couldn't find it on the gardening page. The berries may be in the agriculture section. Haven't checked yet

Just made and downloaded some pdf files from my WV Extension Service on which types of veggies grow well here in WV.
They had information on beets, corn, melons, squash, pumpkin, green beans, tomatoes and cauliflower.
Now I know which ones to look for to try to grow.

May have to email them for suggestions on carrots, peas, cabbage and berries (other than blueberry) since I couldn't find it on the gardening page. The berries may be in the agriculture section. Haven't checked yet

link?

Did ya all know that Johnny Seeds has a seed starting date calculator?
I didn't. I just came across it lol

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-library/seed-planting-schedule-calculator.html
You'll have to put in your last frost date using the calendar
It tells you when to start them and when you can set them out
If you don't know your frost date, you'll have to do a search for it online

I made a pdf file for mine and have it on my hard drive now

Are you in WV? Otherwise try finding the Extension Service for your state. They're usually affiliated with universities

i would like the link please.

Did ya all know that Johnny Seeds has a seed starting date calculator?
I didn't. I just came across it lol

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-library/seed-planting-schedule-calculator.html
You'll have to put in your last frost date using the calendar
It tells you when to start them and when you can set them out
If you don't know your frost date, you'll have to do a search for it online

I made a pdf file for mine and have it on my hard drive now

i seen this a few weeks ago. i thought of a thread here awhile back a person was asking about planting dates etc. and sorta gave up asking as no one was giving exact info he wanted. but i cant recall who,when,where thread was so maybe they see this here in garden thread.

thank you.

just from my experience and 2cents...i like these guides...but it just hard to beat experience over years in our own gardens. i have found out too is that gardens even in close proximity can be vastly different. tomatoes i bred and grow in my garden look vastly different in my uncles garden just a few miles away.even though i raised tomato seedlings for him to plant out. but yet i seen them in other gardens and they look like ones in my garden.

blah blah blah....elk can talk gardening...lol..i like it..its a puzzle to figure out.

Well with all these hills (we call our mountains hills) and valleys we have a lot of microclimates.
I know the valley I live in certainly has them.
If theres a quick snow burst here in the valley most of everywhere else can melt, but you come up our lane, and we're still frozen over with it. Amazing really.
I'm wondering if our microclimate is the reason I can't get strawberries to grow well for me. I had a couple in a container on the back deck actually grow some fruit this year and didn't die.
It might be that I have to just keep growing them in containers here and not in the ground.

Well with all these hills (we call our mountains hills) and valleys we have a lot of microclimates.
I know the valley I live in certainly has them.
If theres a quick snow burst here in the valley most of everywhere else can melt, but you come up our lane, and we're still frozen over with it. Amazing really.
I'm wondering if our microclimate is the reason I can't get strawberries to grow well for me. I had a couple in a container on the back deck actually grow some fruit this year and didn't die.
It might be that I have to just keep growing them in containers here and not in the ground.
Have you ruled out deer?

My deer will do in my strawberries if not protected

Ben

Have you ruled out deer?

My deer will do in my strawberries if not protected

Ben
Everything is fenced in and dogs run free. Its not animals of any kind.
I'm just going to go with containers (hanging probably)

Plowed the lower gardens tonight. Gonna till out a strip and mix in some good stuff. Gonna plant it with 7 Fig cutting I stated last year. They grew off well in pots this year. I've got a bunch of Blueberry cuttings started this year.
Also plan to get a load of mushroom compost tomorrow. Finally found some.

Actually I cheated. Since our offical growing season is over and having cold snaps, I have some containers near the back door kinda tucked in a semi protected spot, that I do have some onions in for the tops, but instead of using my seeds, I've planted some root ends of store bought produce. Like celery, spinach, bok choy and romaine lettuce. The celery and bok choy were planted earlier and do have growth on them. The spinach & romaine was just planted in the last couple of days, so we'll see if those work too.

Got my tomato seeds from TomatoFest today in the mail. Can't wait to try them out next year. Dwarf and cherry tomatoes. I have early, mid and late season types. Just finished writing down their specific information. I make sticky notes for the back of the packet with type, days, season, determinate or indeterminate and some description (color, flavor, etc.)
I have one type of cherry that looks like a small roma and it can be stored for 4-6 weeks apparently lol

Can't say enough about Tomato Fest. They're fast and they have such a huge selection of heirloom organic seeds.
They have them for high altitude, tropical, cool climates, coastal climates to name a few.

Got my tomato seeds from TomatoFest today in the mail. Can't wait to try them out next year. Dwarf and cherry tomatoes. I have early, mid and late season types. Just finished writing down their specific information. I make sticky notes for the back of the packet with type, days, season, determinate or indeterminate and some description (color, flavor, etc.)
I have one type of cherry that looks like a small roma and it can be stored for 4-6 weeks apparently lol

Can't say enough about Tomato Fest. They're fast and they have such a huge selection of heirloom organic seeds.
They have them for high altitude, tropical, cool climates, coastal climates to name a few.

I'll have to check them out.

Planted 8 figs trees today that I started from cuttings last year. Put them in pots and fertilized lightly and kept them watered this year. Pulled them from the pots and they had a nice root ball formed. Got them all in a nice hole with a little 6-12-12 fertilize. They should be off to a good start by spring. Hope my blueberry cuttings from this fall do as well next year.
Also planted the last of my 4 types of garlic in one of the beds I just got topped off.

Planted 8 figs trees today that I started from cuttings last year. Put them in pots and fertilized lightly and kept them watered this year. Pulled them from the pots and they had a nice root ball formed. Got them all in a nice hole with a little 6-12-12 fertilize. They should be off to a good start by spring. Hope my blueberry cuttings from this fall do as well next year.
Also planted the last of my 4 types of garlic in one of the beds I just got topped off.
I'm hoping my fig cuttings survive. They are looking pretty bad, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like. 😬

I'm hoping my fig cuttings survive. They are looking pretty bad, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like. 😬
Show us a pic, I have about twenty one year old cuttings & ten two year cuttings that are potted up.& lost their leaves for the winter.
Fresh cutting should look the same, if they are getting enough water in well drained soil/sand or potting mix.

I cut mine and just stuck them in a pot of good compost after dipping the end in rooting compound. In the spring 8 out of 9 leafed out and did well with just a little time release fertilize and regular watering.
The root ball when I planted yesterday was nice and tight, but not root bound at all. I planted them in 4" pots.

My indoor cucumbers are in bloom, the bucket carrots have been thinned and seem to be doing okay, and we are harvesting salad stuff weekly... I got a seed order in with some different indoor tomatoes and I was able to place an order with Baker Creek Seed, they finally had the heavy hitter okra in stock... The local HD started carrying the black nursery starter pots in sizes from small up to about a small tree, so I picked up some that will fit inside 3 and 5 gallon buckets so I can water plants from the bottom.

My indoor garden lights are about 600 watts total and I was hoping to use my emergency solar to power them.
I currently have about 8000 watt-hours of energy storage connected to 500 watts of solar, but that is not sufficient to run the lights on a daily basis. So I plan to add an additional 500 watts of solar to the mix, I have most of what I need sitting on the floor now except for the charge controller.....

Actually I cheated. Since our offical growing season is over and having cold snaps, I have some containers near the back door kinda tucked in a semi protected spot, that I do have some onions in for the tops, but instead of using my seeds, I've planted some root ends of store bought produce. Like celery, spinach, bok choy and romaine lettuce. The celery and bok choy were planted earlier and do have growth on them. The spinach & romaine was just planted in the last couple of days, so we'll see if those work too.

^^^that didn't last.......after temps got down to the teens last night, I'm pretty sure that project has failed and will have to start over. I'm waiting till spring for a better chance to survive.

Show us a pic, I have about twenty one year old cuttings & ten two year cuttings that are potted up.& lost their leaves for the winter.
Fresh cutting should look the same, if they are getting enough water in well drained soil/sand or potting mix.

yes the leaves are dead, this was from a 2 year old fig tree as we just planted it and now are moving!
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back