Garden 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still trying to find a good canning recipe book that has basic recipes not funny fancy ones.
For what it's worth, my favorite canning book is the USDA book (Complete Guide to Home Canning or similar). It does have some recipes, but mostly it's about canning individual items. Well, I should clarify that my book is an older one, and that's how it's set up. I think they've revised - and they've probably kept a similar format.

Another favorite is the Food Storage series by Susan Gregersen and David Armstrong. They take an item - say, apples - and list the different ways you can preserve apples (canning, dehydrating, etc). I always like that approach because that's usually how I preserve something is by having a lot of one thing - due to a big garden harvest, or a sale at the store.

For what it's worth, my favorite canning book is the USDA book (Complete Guide to Home Canning or similar). It does have some recipes, but mostly it's about canning individual items. Well, I should clarify that my book is an older one, and that's how it's set up. I think they've revised - and they've probably kept a similar format.

Another favorite is the Food Storage series by Susan Gregersen and David Armstrong. They take an item - say, apples - and list the different ways you can preserve apples (canning, dehydrating, etc). I always like that approach because that's usually how I preserve something is by having a lot of one thing - due to a big garden harvest, or a sale at the store.
Thank you! I will look for those now! 🤗

We tend to fall back to the old "Ball Blue Book guide to preserving" (my version is paperback - June,1 2004 edition), gives the basics for most things. Never mind, I checked they now make about a dozen books and I can't tell you which one is best.
I like ours as it is simple (I can follow it). We have 2 copies, because the wife and I don't share well.... She makes the stuff and fills the jars, I fill the canner and watch the gauge.

Last edited:
Check to see if your state or county Extension Service has a Gardening Calendar.
I just down loaded the one my state puts out every year
Good info in it
This years theme is The Science of Gardening. It has info on how the processes of certain gardening and plant growth take place. Interesting reading

After jar inventory for yesterdays shipment there's a lot more rings damaged than we thought. Not sure yet if they are usable dinged or not. The tops underneath appear undamaged. So disappointed in the packaging but honestly not surprised. Will definitely be on the lookout for more rings and lids.
Seeds still show on track for being delivered Friday. Fingers crossed.
Need to go move the compost piles out of the garden area in the next few days. Get it turned again in the process and make one huge pile. Gotta get it moved before we get more rain. Avoid rutting the garden if possible.
Still figuring out our plan for starting the seeds we need to start indoors. Definitely not relying on started plants being available anymore.

Tonight I saw 2 small cucumbers, I also added soil around my cabbage and celery. My bush beans are now in bloom and the snap peas are growing horizontally accross the top of the growing station. I have had more aphids, but the mix of soap, neem oil, and agressive pruning is keeping them under control. I am finding that I need at least a couple of inches of space between the containers to keep the aphids from moving plant to plant. The potatoes in the high bay area have blooms now, so in a week or so they will get moved out to winter....

Yes, I hope to keep them under control until mid summer and then I plan to shutdown the inside garden for a month to clean everything and be ready to start again, but that is at least 5 months away. I also think I will try to buy some ladybugs and mantis eggs this year for the outside. I am learning that nature is not always working with us.
I tried to find praying mantis eggs last year with no luck. Do you have a source?

Last edited:
After jar inventory for yesterdays shipment there's a lot more rings damaged than we thought. Not sure yet if they are usable dinged or not. The tops underneath appear undamaged. So disappointed in the packaging but honestly not surprised. Will definitely be on the lookout for more rings and lids.
Need to go move the compost piles out of the garden area in the next few days. Get it turned again in the process and make one huge pile. Gotta get it moved before we get more rain. Avoid rutting the garden if possible.
Still figuring out our plan for starting the seeds we need to start indoors. Definitely not relying on started plants being available anymore.
What are you hoping to grow/preserve?
I received my herb seeds day before yesterday and one type of peanut seed today. The other pack of peanut seeds are scheduled to be shipped in the next couple days. I'm not sure how prolific peanuts are, but I might have been a little overzealous with my order 😬

I've got several rings that are dented that I use. They have small dents though, nothing that will allow the lid to buckle or be to loose. If you can't find any holler, I only keep a dozen rings in the house and I've got a 5 gallon bucket full in storage and can send you a dozen. Unless your using multiple canners you really only need 14-21. 7 for the batch cooling, 7 for the batch in the canner and 7 for the batch being prepared. Unless you got the AA930 then double that.
That is, if you are spending the whole day canning.

I've got several rings that are dented that I use. They have small dents though, nothing that will allow the lid to buckle or be to loose. If you can't find any holler, I only keep a dozen rings in the house and I've got a 5 gallon bucket full in storage and can send you a dozen. Unless your using multiple canners you really only need 14-21. 7 for the batch cooling, 7 for the batch in the canner and 7 for the batch being prepared. Unless you got the AA930 then double that.
That is, if you are spending the whole day canning.
Your an angel! I hadn’t thought about it that way. Was thinking they each needed one for storage also but now that you mention it I did see some of y’all just use them for the actual canning then take them off for storage. Thank you thank you thank you!
So today’s jar drama is Walmart can’t ship something packed to save their life. 3/4 of the pint jars were broken when they arrived at the delivery warehouse so they have to ship them back. Still having zero luck finding jars or wide mouth lids local. Trying not to panic. There’s still time just worried about what the future holds and if they will become available. We’re planning a big garden and feeding the folks too. Deep breath. Deep breath. Every store I went to today said they’ve been getting tons of calls about jars and lids and they just don’t have them.
Good news is the seeds are close and should be out for delivery tomorrow. One less worry.
Dug out our old piglet heat mats from the barn. Hubby thinks we can use them for keeping the seed trays warm. He’s pretty smart with that stuff so I’m letting his mind go at it.

Okay I found Ladybugs and Praying Mantis eggs online, unfortunately they are on Amazon (I am trying to avoid using them). The question I have is how long will the eggs last (can I buy them now and keep them outside till it warms up?). The ladybugs, could I let some free inside the house and put the rest someplace to keep them alive until spring? Does anyone have any information on these? Shelf life and stuff. I am tempted to buy them now as I can see that there are limited sources available and I am afraid if I wait I will miss out all together.... Any input would be welcome...

Yesterday, I was looking at the flowers I have on my indoor garden plants, I have a fan blowing on some of them. Lots of stuff in bloom, cucumbers, tomatoes, bush beans, potatoes; yes we had more blooms than spring time!

Woke up this morning with a killer sinus headache, yes I have allergies big time....... I will have to remember to take my allergy meds year round now....

I transplanted carrots to a pot, since apparently you have to wait until their second season for them to produce seeds, and somehow they got aphids! I have no idea how since they've been inside for months now, but I had to spray them with neem oil.

Today I saw the first of the female flowers on the cucumbers, did the pollinating thing. I am a little confused on this thing as I am also seeing lots of baby cucumbers without flowers now. I guess I never watched my plants so closely before...... It is fun....

Quite informative.
Maybe you @UrbanHunter could start a separate thread about helpful insects and how to herd them.
I found this but not sure if it was from "Dave's Garden" website or not.
"What to Feed Your Ladybugs. Your ladybug larvae may be shipped with food, but you'll still want to make sure cotton balls soaked with water are present in their enclosure so that you they remain humid and hydrated. For grown ladybugs that you haven't released yet, it is possible to feed them raisins broken into halves."
The way I figure it, you can't stop their progression. Some creatures and critters can be slowed down, not so sure about praying mantis and ladybug.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/arti...om-indoor-larvae-to-outdoor-garden-protectorsWhen one of my brothers was a kid, he found a praying mantis nest of eggs or larvae and put it in his top drawer. Mom found the babies crawling all over the place when she opened his drawer to put stuff away.
:ghostly:

Follow-up indoor cucumber (with flower) that I pollinated is growing (longer and plumping up) the cucumber that had no flower is shrinking or withering. So the cucumbers without flowers will die, might be best if I picked them off to save the energy for the true fruit.... just thinking as I type. I need to do some more observations before I act brashly......

Urban

Terri, if you're going to be in town and needing praying mantis, ladybugs, seeds or whatever gardening, call our son beforehand at Jericho nursery and he will set it aside for you or he can tell you when he can get it. His name is Jesse.

Thanks. I'll do that when the kid has her next Endo or Electro apt.

Last night I started planning for my spring garden, I am making a list of things I need to do and trying to schedule them out so I hit the ground at full run....

Looks like I will be starting the first of my seeds around Valentines day. I know it's still January, but I like to look forward to the next season.....

Back