Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last 3 years I have just done Tomato, bell pepper, cucumbers, and lettuce.

I am trying to plan and expand some this year with the thought towards now I am canning.

cucumbers
potatoes
dill
jalepeno
green peppers
tomatoes
strawberry

Wife and I were talking and it became clear to me that part of my problem is growing up on the Mexico border I didn't have a lot of experience with cool vs warm weather crops. The celery that I planted last winter is still growing, if I had transplanted it into one of the covered raised beds we could have been harvesting it all winter..... Speaking of the covered raised beds, they are all covered with about 8" of snow, so the cool weather crops will be staying happy....

I hope to get a little work done on the indoor garden this week, the cucumber plant has about 6 small cuc's now, I hope they stay on... I plan to start some radishes and beets in a tub. I have one tub of lettuce that needs to be completely harvested soon, so I will have space for the new tub.

We mapped out the garden and now I need to back date when I can start different plants that will be transplanted. Last year replanting cucumbers several times gave us a good crop all summer long, the squash and green beans gave similar results, so I am planning to do the same thing this year, only difference is I will be planning on it from the start.

Last year the squash would produce about 8 fruit and then the squash beetles and vine borers would attack. Then I would start a new plant in a different location and remove the infected plant. But if the plants were waiting ready to go in the starter trays, I would have gotten a larger crop while using less space.

@elkhound I found them when I searched. I'd never heard of them before.
The last 3 years I have just done Tomato, bell pepper, cucumbers, and lettuce.

I am trying to plan and expand some this year with the thought towards now I am canning.

cucumbers
potatoes
dill
jalepeno
green peppers
tomatoes
strawberry
You will only ever have to plant dill once 😊

I need to do more of that this year, Urban. I fought squash bugs for a few months, and I refuse to use pesticide. Still, we had an overload of patty pan squash. Easier to give up on the plant after awhile and start again. But those squash bugs hide in other places once the plants are gone. Found some in stacked cardboard hiding out weeks after the plants were gone. Our dining room is covered with two tables of kale, lettuce, onion, and arugula. I could move them out for a few days, but I'd be moving them back in again according to the weather. I did cut our dinner salad greens from the pots this evening.

I'm a bit torn as to exactly what I should do. I wanted to plant a big garden but... I have real concern about my parents health, seems to get worse by the month. I feel like I should have a very limited garden. Then... how do I decide on just 5 or 6 species?

:dunno:

This year will be an interesting one for us to say the least, but I’m very excited about what it and future years will bring. After renting for the past 11 years and only having a small “gorilla garden”, we sign on a new to us house on January 18th. The house itself will require much of our attention this year, but some sort of a garden will go in. What else would we do with about 4 acres of land and irrigation water??? It will be nice to have the bees at home (currently at another location) and what I may be most excited for, space for fruit trees. As far as the garden goes, I think we will probably just stick to the basics this year (tomato’s, peppers, squash, beans, cucumbers, and corn) but will need to get trees going because they take a few years befor an they will start to produce. No matter what happens, we will have fun and enjoy our time playing in the dirt.

This year will be an interesting one for us to say the least, but I’m very excited about what it and future years will bring. After renting for the past 11 years and only having a small “gorilla garden”, we sign on a new to us house on January 18th. The house itself will require much of our attention this year, but some sort of a garden will go in. What else would we do with about 4 acres of land and irrigation water??? It will be nice to have the bees at home (currently at another location) and what I may be most excited for, space for fruit trees. As far as the garden goes, I think we will probably just stick to the basics this year (tomato’s, peppers, squash, beans, cucumbers, and corn) but will need to get trees going because they take a few years befor an they will start to produce. No matter what happens, we will have fun and enjoy our time playing in the dirt.
How exciting, WOW, Good for you!! Let us know how it's going!😊

I'm a bit torn as to exactly what I should do. I wanted to plant a big garden but... I have real concern about my parents health, seems to get worse by the month. I feel like I should have a very limited garden. Then... how do I decide on just 5 or 6 species?

:dunno:

Sorry about your parents health decline.

Go for the most nutrient dense, easiest to grow, and the greatest harvest,

Potatoes, pole beans, tomatoes, squash, cabbage are all good......but the beans & tomatoes do take extra time to keep picked,

Here, fruit trees can be difficult to grow. There's a reason the woods aren't filled with them. Producing baskets of beautiful fruit requires expending a commensurate amount physical capital. A "you get out what you put in" example..

Until recently we had 200 peach trees. We treated them just like any finicky hard to grow veggie in garden. Because they were, we started pruning in January, a year round job. If you put that kind of effort, attention and care into a fruit tree you'll wish you had room for more.

I'm glad we no longer have them, a lot more work than I have energy these days. Their commercial life ended about the same time my dad was no longer able to help me farm. I miss them tho' especially in the spring when they bloom. And a bowl of peach slices and the pricey vanilla ice cream. Only time of the year I ate ice cream, but it was good with a peach I picked.

Peach Trees a  (2).jpg
Peach Trees a  (11).jpg

Congrats!

Fruit and nut trees first. The best time to plant a tree is seven years ago. The second best is today.

Ben

(A guy that shovels dirt as a hobby)
We were hoping to only be in our current place for three years so planting tree seven years ago sounds about right. Our youngest is allergic to all nuts, still haven’t decided if we dare plant any nut trees. Probably not though. Better safe than sorry.

Going to go with raised garden this year. It will be small so going to plant beans roma and blue lake. Tomatoes brandywine and paste type don't know which yet.
Peppers sweet and hot. Zucchini and yellow strait neck. Maybe more if I can fit it in.

My second planting of the indoor garden has come up, I tried something different this time, I included a tub of beats and turnips, I am trying to plant more carefully to avoid the need to thin..... We have almost eaten all of the first planting of lettuce now...

Today I harvested the last of my outdoor carrots, they were not covered but their tops had wilted and the ground had frozen about 2"s down, so I had to dig them out. They are firm and sweet, this was the 3 harvest and I only got about 3 gallons of carrots, but I'm glad I let the go for the extra month.

Harvested some onions from the covered raised beds, the spinach is doing fine but the lettuce was wilted from the cold....

been as low as 7f here and mostly in teens at night. i managed to squeeze a bit out of garden.snow is covering it now and going back to single digits in next week they say. i hope it insulates the little thats left and i get one more harvest from it..but who knows.

turnips

DSC05096.JPG

kale..siberian and curly

DSC05119.JPG

garden is a sad sight.its hard to believe weeds still flourish through winter...dang it !mustard is smoked and collards dont look so well. but anyhow..i think with lightest of cover both these kales would survive and grow even better and more for deep winter fresh goods.

DSC05100.JPG

siberian kale

DSC05098.JPG

DSC05102.JPG

curly kale

DSC05104.JPG

DSC05106.JPG

martin garlic looking decent

DSC05109.JPG

Latest posts

Back