Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Peanut Thank you! I really think it's wild onion, from what I see on the look-alike it doesn't grow this far north. And the leaves on what I found are hollow like chives, not flat like the look-alike.

This is the third edible plant I've found growing wild in that bed when I weed. 😄 First was purslane and second was stinging nettle, which I moved and have a bunch of plants in that spot now. I haven't tried them yet but this year I should have enough.

death camas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicoscordion_venenosum
can be confused with wild onion

Urban thanks for the pics. You've got so much stuff in such a small area, it is very impressive what you are doing. BTW the pavers look great.
You're welcome, I hope the water distribution center pic gives you some ideas.
It's hard to believe that there is a difference of 4' from the highest to the lowest point in that little area.

This afternoon I harvested some more spinach and lettuce for a week's worth of mixed salad greens. The wife said we should become rabbits. My bed of beets is now almost fully covered in green and some of the onions are 1/2" in diameter, wish I knew what they are. :)

I am seeing lots of new green growth on the grapes, I hope to get them trained a bit before adding the netting to protect them from the birds.

I pruned the cherry tomatoes that got hit by the frost, in the process I discovered a lot of new growth, so things are looking up.

I have some potatoes growing in a old ice chest they are now putting on flowers, I wish I had more experience with them.

Now that the irrigation system is fully operational I expect the plants to start taking off.

death camas

can be confused with wild onion

That name kept nagging at my mind, couldn't remember the plant. I know I've never seen it. Here is why... it grows in the PNW.

The is a USDA reporting map. The green areas are where the Death camas has been reported as growing. These maps rely on botanists and college students to report new plants in an area. These maps are not complete, changing all the time, but gives a good idea where a plant grows.

Seems to be a mountain plant...

Death Camas.jpg

That name kept nagging at my mind, couldn't remember the plant. I know I've never seen it. Here is why... it grows in the PNW.

The is a USDA reporting map. The green areas are where the Death camas has been reported as growing. These maps rely on botanists and college students to report new plants in an area. These maps are not complete, changing all the time, but gives a good idea where a plant grows.

Seems to be a mountain plant...

View attachment 85606

i believe there are multiple subspecies that grow across u.s. i seen a guy say he found it in penn state before.from this list theres a bunch..i dont know the range for all of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathcamas

@Chaosdawn a 6x6 bed of walking onions or hoss tool multiplier onions will keep you in more onions than you could gather on a 100 acres.below is 2x6 area.

DSC00056.JPG

i believe there are multiple subspecies that grow across u.s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathcamas

There are multiple species called Death Camas but what does it matter if they don't look like wild onions? That only confuses the matter. Have you seen all the plants you posted? And do you say they look like wild onions?

I looked at photos this morning and only one, T. veneosum looks somewhat like a wild onion and after seeing the photos it wouldn't fool me even at a distance.

This is why the latin names are important. All plants called Death Camas do not look like wild onions.

T. venenosum looks somewhat like wild onions.

T. paniculatum looks even less like wild onions

A. elegans looks nothing like wild onions
----------------------------------
Toxicoscordion venenosum - Foothills Death Camas

Toxicoscordion paniculatum - Desert Death Camas

Anticlea elegans - Mountain Death Camas

https://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/White Enlarged Photo Pages/anticlea and toxicoscordion.htm
At the end of the day there is only one "look-a-like and thats Crow poison (Nothoscordum bivalve) and it's a cousin of wild onions. The others aren't.

This is the mountain camas, it looks nothing like onions so why post it in this context?

It actually looks more like monkey grass than an onion.

Mountain camas.jpg

Last edited:
There are multiple species called Death Camas but what does it matter if they don't look like wild onions? That only confuses the matter. Have you seen all the plants you posted? And do you say they look like wild onions?

I looked at photos this morning and only one, T. veneosum looks somewhat like a wild onion and after seeing the photos it wouldn't fool me even at a distance.

This is why the latin names are important. All plants called Death Camas do not look like wild onions.

T. venenosum looks somewhat like wild onions.

T. paniculatum looks even less like wild onions

A. elegans looks nothing like wild onions
----------------------------------
Toxicoscordion venenosum - Foothills Death Camas

Toxicoscordion paniculatum - Desert Death Camas

Anticlea elegans - Mountain Death Camas

https://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/White Enlarged Photo Pages/anticlea and toxicoscordion.htm
At the end of the day there is only one "look-a-like and thats Crow poison (Nothoscordum bivalve) and it's a cousin of wild onions. The others aren't.

This is the mountain camas, it looks nothing like onions so why post it in this context?

It actually looks more like monkey grass than an onion.

View attachment 85628

NO I DID NOT LOOK.i only posted them for others to look at.it was linked in original death camas wiki article to look at. i do know the guy found the look a like in penn state. its up to others to search out all details..i only wanted to point out theres a look a like to wild onion.

i will not do homework for others..to much risk in poisoning so only directed towards first look alike and i seen wiki said theres other 'listed' under same or similar names.

this was hitting high spot in garden thread and not a detailed or trying to do detailed thread belonging in foraging section.

edit..i seen a highly experienced person digging onions late in year dig some onions and they got sick.they then got sorta freaked they had dug one of these by accident and poisoned themselves.it probably wasnt but they got sick for a day or two.

you are most experience wild edible digger on forum...as far as i know..grizzgal put you in high regard. if you want lets do a thread over in forage section?i

Last edited:
Sorry, wasn't trying to be critical, was just confused (cfs).

we good..grizzgal said you the go to guy..thats gold in my book...i only know a few items.

its my fault i should have looked at the list closer linked in first article.

edit to add....BE CRITICAL CONCERNING WILD EDIBLES !!

at least towards me..i dont wanna kill myself !

By way of explanation, i have cfs. It actually has a symptom listed on the cdc website as "Brain Fog". (reminds me of Joe vs the Volcano and "brain cloud"). Anyway, I have to function using logic (Boolean algebra). Things that are said or written that don't follow a logic path mess up my whole world. It's sort of like being in a bar fight and getting sucker punched in the back of the head. What the F?

Today I planted some lettuce and spinach then split my chives so they have more room. Then I weeded my two sunny garden beds and worked in some manure. Still too early to put anything out but at least it's ready now.

I also found these while weeding, they look like chives or tiny green onions and they have the oniony smell but my chives are like 50' away from that bed.
Anyone know what these are? They look big in the pic but they were actually tiny. They seem thicker too. I planted them in the green pot on the left, chives are on the right.
View attachment 85588 View attachment 85589

I also had a friend watching me rake up some leaves. 😆

View attachment 85590
Nope nope nope. I hate snakes.

Almost got my bed filled with compost. I'm probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a scoop short. But it's full enough that I can plant my onions that arrived today in it. Gonna plant onions, maters, and peppers 4th, 5th, or 6th. Probably do cukes as well.
Still need to assemble the last bed and get it ready for loading up.

Almost got my bed filled with compost. I'm probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a scoop short. But it's full enough that I can plant my onions that arrived today in it. Gonna plant onions, maters, and peppers 4th, 5th, or 6th. Probably do cukes as well.
Still need to assemble the last bed and get it ready for loading up.
How many does that make for you? Quite a few! It takes a lot (of material and work) to fill them. We got wood chips for in the bottom of ours. Hubby got the whole trailer unloaded! All 3 beds have the first layer. Tomorrow I will try to get a little bit of sand.
I did get the eggplant in the ground. Too wet to do much out there. I got some seeds for white radishes yesterday so planted a short row of those when I got home. They are supposed to be very mild - will let you know. (Now have 3 kinds of radishes growing) Spuds are up a couple inches. Need a couple warm days for beans to really get going.

PS @Tommyice I finally got the books that go with "Victorian Kitchen Garden" - one by the same title and the other is Harry Dodson's Practical Kitchen Garden. I'm not letting myself actually "read" them since I have 3-4 books going, but I had to browse through them & ended up reading a section or two. They both look like good ones! (I am probably the only one who gets excited about apple storage or growing artichokes.)

Snakes are crawling here already, the lady that runs my office called me the other day freaking out, she said she had a copperhead come in the front door when she went to put mail in the box. I told her to watch it and I would be back in a minute, when I arrived back at the office it was a little over a foot long, big enough to hurt you or make you hurt yourself.

They are crawling here also, too early for me to notice this many but I've seen several on the road. Don't know if there is a population explosion last year or?

Use caution folks, more people are bitten by copperheads in the south than by rattlers and cottonmouths combined. I used to spends days in the brush mapping and hunting medicinal plants. Always wore snake gaiters and was glad I did. I still keep a pair in the truck.

Rattlers will warn you, cottonmouths will charge you but its usually a bluff. Copperheads strike, no hesitation and without warning. Especially the young ones.

Venomous snakes are endangered here so odds of me seeing one is very low, even in the woods. Mostly get garters. I like snakes, I hate spiders.

It was raining yesterday so didn't get anything done when I got home from work. Maybe today.

Checked the garden this morning, I am trying to train my grape vines, I find that as the come alive they limber up and can be moved a little at a time. The grape vines are showing lots of new growth and clumps of little grapes, so hopefully we will have a nice crop this year.

We went through the list of what's growing and at the end the wife added a couple of things that would be nice. Brussels Sprouts were on her list of things that could be added to the screened in area, I think she is getting the value of having the extra bug protection.

I finally got the yard mowed, I looked a sight, mask (allergies), eye-patch (currently injury) both in black of course, kind of like a fat pirate in suspenders. I found that trying to work with 1 eye really messes with your depth perception and it's hard to draw a straight line.

My order of irrigation supplies arrived, so now I can start setting up things for my trees and the front flower bed. I may need to create and new watering circuit to support all the emitters. There is always 1 more thing......

How many does that make for you? Quite a few! It takes a lot (of material and work) to fill them. We got wood chips for in the bottom of ours. Hubby got the whole trailer unloaded! All 3 beds have the first layer. Tomorrow I will try to get a little bit of sand.
I did get the eggplant in the ground. Too wet to do much out there. I got some seeds for white radishes yesterday so planted a short row of those when I got home. They are supposed to be very mild - will let you know. (Now have 3 kinds of radishes growing) Spuds are up a couple inches. Need a couple warm days for beans to really get going.
I have 9 finished and materials to build 1 more. Probably get that done by the weekend.

Weed seedlings starting to grow... more of a gardening experiment than anything else. Once they're a bit larger, I'll amend soil in the yard and put 'em in the ground, just to see how they fare. There's a fenced-off plot I can use, I think someone used it for chickens, maybe a small vegetable garden... it might keep the rabbits out, but not the grasshoppers. The day may come when I have a bunch of stoned grasshoppers in my yard, lol. :oops:

As long as they don't raid my fridge and drink all my beer, I'm okay with it... ;)

IMG_7130.JPG
IMG_7131.JPG

Today after work I planted my tomatoes, I told the wife that I like using the bulb planting tool to dig nice round holes for the new plants. She went off on me, why are you planting bulbs in the garden? We don't need another tool. Dang, $5 and you would have thought I bought a backhoe.... I do like being able to make a nice 3" hole and not disturb any thing within an inch of the hole.

I was pleased that I didn't have too many tomato plants this year, no give away plants, but I do have 5 spares. ;). Hey 1 more starter tray out of my indoor growing station. Life is good.

My brackets just arrived so as soon as I get a box of 1 1/4" drywall screws I can start installing/bracing the rest of my 1/2" feeder lines.

Dad is still moving soil from the big yellow bags. He has one 3/4 empty already. Still too darn heavy to drag into the backyard. Most of the ready to plant tomatoes are in their containers. Peppers are next. Those are Dad's to take care of. He plants in large patio planters up on milk crates so he can sit and mess with them. We brought a 55 gallon plastic drum home from the cabin--it used to be under the dock walkway but my brother built a new dock that doesn't need them. He cut it in half across the "equator" and there are now asparagus planted in one of them.

There was a frost not too long ago that did a number on my wisteria. It had been just started to form the flower heads and boom! frost stopped it in it's tracks. I'll be lucky if I get 3 flower cascades on it and I'm hoping it'll get leaves. Sometimes in the past it had blossoms later in the summer, so I can hope. Pity, it used to attract crazy amounts of bees for the strawberries, apples and blueberries.

Cucumbers are in the starter trays and on the heat mat. Peas are in the ground. Spinach transplanted and thriving. Radishes are in their outside planter. The big job now is getting the rest of that soil in the beds and containers.

I've got to share this; I had a small roll of 1/2" irrigation tubing, I installed 40' of it this weekend. Anyway, as I was grilling dinner I got to thinking, I wish I had purchased more of the 1/2" tubing so I could make a circuit for my wife's flower beds.

When I started using the 1/2" tubing from the small roll I cut off and saved a little piece with the label on it. I purchased it 2 years ago and I knew I was not going to be returning it, but I wanted to be sure to order the same thing next time. So I checked to label, it seems that my "100' roll" of 1/2" tubing is actually a 250' roll and I was only about 60' short of what I needed, so now I have a little extra.... I must have been planning that all along, yes, that's what it was, I was just planning ahead.... Don't you just love it when a plan comes together. ;)

I'm waiting for the rototiller to arrive. The garden area was plowed up a month ago, so the areas I have not planted and seeded already has weeds. I am tired of shoveling large areas of dirt, so I'm waiting. So the greenhouse is full of potted plants to plant, and they are fine in there for now. I still have 12 pots of begonias in the kitchen area that I started with tubers, and I'll make room for them to go out to the greenhouse maybe this weekend. I overstarted tomatoes again. Counted 60 something plants. So I'll share. And a little carried away with cucumbers...three types, marketmore, a smaller type, and armenian. But the animals eat them, too. So that's ok. Lots of summer and winter squash types, way too much, but again it could be animal food after I've preserved alot. Has anyone just used straw to hill potatoes? How big should the plants be before they are hilled? Mine are up about 5 inches.

Latest posts

Back