Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are my two solutions for pole bean trellises for different areas. First pic I drilled into the eaves and put screw eyes. I run Nylon string down and put jute twine between then as needed. For peas, every 6” to 8” as they grow. I have a nice pole Wando strain, 6’ to 7’ tall. The very far end (last two string sections) are for the bush snap peas. They require little support. After the peas are about done I plant pole beans there and just use the twine leftover from the peas. The beans will grow to the eaves and make a nice shade from the sun in the afternoons. The neighbors are all jealous 😉
Beans 1.jpg

Second pic is the little side garden I was able to talk my way into. Agreement was it gets Mammoth sunflowers in the back. Easy enough – DONE! You can see the sunflowers against the house, just transplanted. This area has an overhang that sticks out as far as the wall on the right, never gets rain in the back so needs lots of water: Faces SW

Sunflowers in back. Cucumbers get planted in front of them. I run jute twine between the fenceposts as needed. Holds the sunflowers back and gives the cukes more to grow on. I throw pole beans down in front of the cukes once the cukes get a good start. The pole beans will grow faster and taller, so as not to shade them. They grow up the sunflowers in the back and are our dry bean harvest in the fall. This year carrots on the far end with one yellow cherry tomato (Sungold) against the far fencepost. There is another one just outside the area, other side of the downspout. I hid it behind the daylilies and Hosta’s, maybe it will go unnoticed until it is too large to kill 😉

Near end is lettuce with spinach planted around it. The brown area in the middle is a walkway. I cut up last year’s sunflowers and crap and pile it there. Near end path gets any trimmed/culled debris, grass weeds…
Side 1.jpg

I like pictures to go with what folks are describing! My other two ‘areas’ are above, this is the third I kind of have control over. The girl mentioned she would like little patio off the side (SE facing). I took the opportunity to suggest a little area for plants as well! 😊 Tried strawberries but two years now they have gotten a mold on them. I left some from last year, just to see and have turned it into the Tomato area. Transplanted yesterday. You can see the milk crate and bucket on the porch, that is where the little greenhouse is. The strings hanging down are like the first pic ones. Screw eyes in the eaves and I will plant beans along the back. I just had not gotten around to finishing them up yet.

Flowers along the front, a concession to me putting the planter in. :) Marigolds are in the little pots, front far end. Red Geraniums will go in front where it meets the patio. In the corner with the pig thing, her choice of focal point flower.

The Bonnie cups are recycled, this is about their 4th year! The other small planters are Yogurt cups with a hole drilled in the center bottom. Work much better than I expected, this is about their 4th year also.

Side 2.jpg

field report...the dutch red shallots i grown the last 2 years are outstanding keepers. far better than any shallot or onion i ever grown before. i still have just a few left in bottom of basket and they are still solid. i bought one order from filaree farms and grew them out and then planted all of them back next season minus a few i ate. it resulted in half bushel basket full for winter use.

these are not big nice slicing onions but none the less they are fantastic for self sufficient homestead and keeping items for use under simple root cellar type conditions. they say they can get up to 4 inches..if so even better. giving mine some tlc this year to see just how large they can grow.

https://filareefarm.com/dutch-red-shallot/

field report...the dutch red shallots i grown the last 2 years are outstanding keepers. far better than any shallot or onion i ever grown before. i still have just a few left in bottom of basket and they are still solid. i bought one order from filaree farms and grew them out and then planted all of them back next season minus a few i ate. it resulted in half bushel basket full for winter use.

these are not big nice slicing onions but none the less they are fantastic for self sufficient homestead and keeping items for use under simple root cellar type conditions. they say they can get up to 4 inches..if so even better. giving mine some tlc this year to see just how large they can grow.

https://filareefarm.com/dutch-red-shallot/

Never noticed those on their website. I'll order me some of them.
I always order my garlic from them. HIGHLY recommend the company

I have a utility sink in my basement and use it to clean stuff from the garden to protect the wife's kitchen, but it becomes a real mess. I am thinking about how nice it would be to have a utility sink in the garden so I could wash produce before bringing it in the house and avoid clogging any drains. Any thoughts on the idea?

I have a utility sink in my basement and use it to clean stuff from the garden to protect the wife's kitchen, but it becomes a real mess. I am thinking about how nice it would be to have a utility sink in the garden so I could wash produce before bringing it in the house and avoid clogging any drains. Any thoughts on the idea?
Kevin over at Epic Gardening did one. I absolutely want one too. I end up bringing things straight into the kitchen and always worry I’ll get a rock down the garbage dispoal.

Great idea. Set it up like a fish cleaning station maybe. Use an open drain with a bucket under it and reuse the water for plants.
If you plumb it to indoor feed, put a cut off inside to make draining easy before winter.

I like that guy, he seems to have some knowledge of gardening & he easy to understand.
He does not talk down to new gardeners.
Yeah, I like him a lot too. He’s in San Diego, so if you’re somewhere colder you may have to take some of his ideas and adjust them, but I think he’s pretty inspirational. Definitely has a contagious can-do attitude!

Great idea. See minutes into this video.

My planned greenhouse will include a sink.

Ben

Hey Urban, I bought a sink that is made like a folding table (foldable legs) and have it where my outdoor kitchen is. It's a small sink on one side, and a counter area on the other. Was made for cleaning fish. You have to hook a hose up to it. It's kinda rinky dink, but works better than a bucket of water. I bought it at Cabellas a number of years ago.

Hey Urban, I bought a sink that is made like a folding table (foldable legs) and have it where my outdoor kitchen is. It's a small sink on one side, and a counter area on the other. Was made for cleaning fish. You have to hook a hose up to it. It's kinda rinky dink, but works better than a bucket of water. I bought it at Cabellas a number of years ago.
Yep, they still got them; 2 versions one for $50 and the other for $100. I also looked on Home Depot and they had a freestanding utility sink with fixture for about $140. Lots to think about.

It would be nice to have one in a greenhouse. Our greenhouse is pretty small. Right now I fill up empty milk jugs to water in there. Takes about 7 gallons a day. Our water hydrant is outside the greenhouse. The amish lady that sells plants out of a huge greenhouse down the road from us has a hydrant and a sprayer in the greenhouse. That helps alot. Our son in New Mexico always has a small pond in each of his greenhouses, but it's to add much needed humidity. It's little granddaughter's job to fill up the empty milk jugs. We use water jugs all over the place here. I think I spent about $70 on the sink table, but it was on sale, and it was a number of years ago. We had a big utility sink in our garage in New Mexico and I would make a mucky mess in it.

I have a spare sink to make an outdoor washing stand. So far it's still sitting in the garden cart because I've not made the stand yet :rolleyes: My plan is for it to drain into a bucket so I can use the wash water to water something else.
I now have everything planted except my cuke. We need to make a wire basket to plant with it so the voles don't get to it.

Today, I discovered that something knocked over my old ice chest that had 2 potatoes growing in it. It fell about 3', basically 2 tiers, the plants fell out and I harvested 6 potatoes. After I got the ice chest up right and braced, I replanted the plants (there were still lots of little red bulbs in the roots). I braced it up well in hopes that it would not be a reoccurring event. Here's the rub, it was sitting next to hidden steps that serviced a very small opening into the side yard. So it could have been a dog, cat, groundhog, really big squirrel, or a snoopy person trying to gain access to my garden space. My first thought is to place a bear shutter in the narrow walkway, but that could go bad in soo many ways. I'll just have to wait and see what happens next. I ate one of the potatoes raw, not bad....

Today, I discovered that something knocked over my old ice chest that had 2 potatoes growing in it. It fell about 3', basically 2 tiers, the plants fell out and I harvested 6 potatoes. After I got the ice chest up right and braced, I replanted the plants (there were still lots of little red bulbs in the roots). I braced it up well in hopes that it would not be a reoccurring event. Here's the rub, it was sitting next to hidden steps that serviced a very small opening into the side yard. So it could have been a dog, cat, groundhog, really big squirrel, or a snoopy person trying to gain access to my garden space. My first thought is to place a bear shutter in the narrow walkway, but that could go bad in soo many ways. I'll just have to wait and see what happens next. I ate one of the potatoes raw, not bad....
I have seen Allotment Diary dump out a tub early then replant potatoes. I suspect you will be OK.

Do you have a game camera?

Ben

My strawberries are just setting their fruit now--not many flowers left. Dad spent yesterday outside building a frame to put over the additional raised bed I filled with transplanted berries so I can drape netting to deter the birds, chipmunks and squirrels.

It was good that he did that--he was outside in the fresh air and sunshine. Best things for covid--he tested positive on one of those home tests after I was exposed at work. He still swears it's just allergies--thick-headed, 87-year old Dutchman.

So now I've got a little "vacation" from work--5 days. I'll be outside in the garden, fresh air and sunshine today too.

Kale, collards and onions I planted are sprouted 😊 Still waiting on carrots and a few other things, then I planted more this past weekend so am keeping watch.
We think the compost we put in the raised beds is too hot. The chard is burning up so will try to amend the compost in them with soil from elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back