Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just wish martin was here to see this years harvest. he and i am several others tried to get a giant garlic. we fell just short several times. i will probably get one this year just because he cant see it...you know how things like that often go.best garlic ever..i ate whole head last night sauteed in olive oil and butter over noodles. eat,drink and stink !

I know that feeling! And I love garlic! Especially fresh garlic in pasta, and pressed to make garlic bread with real butter! :p

I always understood that garlic purifies the blood... I heard that Roman legionaries would eat raw garlic before battle, as they thought it would give them strength & courage, but it also worked as a blood purifier prior to those legionaries receiving battle wounds. Must have been some stanky battlefronts & 'field hospitals' back in the day!!! :oops:

Don't have any garlic growing in my yard, more's the pity, but I have THIS:

IMG_7654.JPG

IMG_7655.JPG

IMG_7656.JPG

Can you see Roman soldiers eating THIS before battle? :rolleyes:

"Hey, man, can you tell us where the battle is? 10 kilometers that way? Far out! Thanks!" ;)

Here's a bonus shot of the Sacramento Mountains as seen from US54 south of Alamogordo... that's just what I call the 'first wave' of mountains, the range goes higher with the second & third waves, clear to 9000' or so. You can see how these lower mountains and deep canyons on the western edge of the range are greening up due to recent rains... up higher, the forest stays green year-round, and the scenery is awesome! I'll be heading up there soon for my birthday and the 4th of July, I wanna see the Mescalero rodeo and catch some horse racing at Ruidoso Downs. :cool:

IMG_7667.JPG

I know that feeling! And I love garlic! Especially fresh garlic in pasta, and pressed to make garlic bread with real butter! :p

I always understood that garlic purifies the blood... I heard that Roman legionaries would eat raw garlic before battle, as they thought it would give them strength & courage, but it also worked as a blood purifier prior to those legionaries receiving battle wounds. Must have been some stanky battlefronts & 'field hospitals' back in the day!!! :oops:

Don't have any garlic growing in my yard, more's the pity, but I have THIS:

View attachment 88521
View attachment 88522
View attachment 88523

Can you see Roman soldiers eating THIS before battle? :rolleyes:

"Hey, man, can you tell us where the battle is? 10 kilometers that way? Far out! Thanks!" ;)

Here's a bonus shot of the Sacramento Mountains as seen from US54 south of Alamogordo... that's just what I call the 'first wave' of mountains, the range goes higher with the second & third waves, clear to 9000' or so. You can see how these lower mountains and deep canyons on the western edge of the range are greening up due to recent rains... up higher, the forest stays green year-round, and the scenery is awesome! I'll be heading up there soon for my birthday and the 4th of July, I wanna see the Mescalero rodeo and catch some horse racing at Ruidoso Downs. :cool:

View attachment 88524
Want to barter for some garlic?

I had been experimenting with wild garlic to see if growing it in good conditions would yield larger cloves not being crowded.

20220624_153304.jpg

Some of the larger bulbs are almost the size of domestic garlic (see top left). The cloves I planted were tiny about the size of a bead.

The story goes that larger cloves grow larger bulbs. With these larger cloves I am looking forward to larger wild garlic next year. Wild garlic is definitely hard-neck garlic. No braiding for the wild stuff.

I have been running an experiment in the garden for the last 7 years or so. How well does the garden do just using God's rain. But because The Princess wants to cut down on store bought stuff the experiment ended this afternoon. Set up and ran the sprinkler and will be running it when required this year.

Ben

This is what I use. I was told it is better than lime & in pelletized form, you do not need a mask, to mix it into the soil.
shopping

this is what hoss tool recommends for tomatoes. i have mentioned this to a few and often i get its lime...no its not..gypsum doesnt change ph. its also helps with compaction and crusting. i put several bags in a section i was having troubles getting hard like a brick. it took a long while but really noticing the change this year with no crusting.

Last edited:
I do the tums thing as well when planting. I also have a mixture of stuff I use to fertilize them both when planting and about every 3-4 weeks. One ingrediant is powdered milk. I had none this spring, so I added a bunch of crushed egg shells in it's place. I usually will throw 2-3 shells in each hole when planting anyway.

I had been experimenting with wild garlic to see if growing it in good conditions would yield larger cloves not being crowded.

View attachment 88537

Some of the larger bulbs are almost the size of domestic garlic (see top left). The cloves I planted were tiny about the size of a bead.

The story goes that larger cloves grow larger bulbs. With these larger cloves I am looking forward to larger wild garlic next year. Wild garlic is definitely hard-neck garlic. No braiding for the wild stuff.

I have been running an experiment in the garden for the last 7 years or so. How well does the garden do just using God's rain. But because The Princess wants to cut down on store bought stuff the experiment ended this afternoon. Set up and ran the sprinkler and will be running it when required this year.

Ben
We water our garden almost exclusively with water from the rain barrels. It’s a pain in the butt because you got a whole bucket of water to each of the containers. Everything is in raised beds or planters. I have to find an easier way. I would like to get something like one of those old Victorian water trundles.

View attachment 88537

Ben
Looks like wild elephant garlic rounds.
Do you have a link?

No.

I found them growing in the yard and identified them with a wild plants book. Gathered them and planted in garden last fall.

Ben
That is a new one on me, never seen onions that multiplied from under ground bulblis.
Crows Garlic is said to do that, but it never gets bigger than a nickel.

That is a new one on me, never seen onions that multiplied from under ground bulblis.
Crows Garlic is said to do that, but it never gets bigger than a nickel.
This is what I can offer. Using this book...

20220625_120720.jpg

I found this entry.

20220625_120801.jpg

Allium Canadense

The flower bulbile heads looked dead on like the picture.

I tried planting the bulbiles and seeds but I ran out of space so I dug them up.

I did cut the scapes off to encourage clove development. I missed one. Here is a picture.

20220625_121830.jpg

This is a closed look at one of the bigger bulbs.

20220625_121808_HDR.jpg

Like you said, when they grow in the wild the bulbs are bout the size of a nickel. But growing wild they are crowded and have to fight for resources.

This experiment was to see how they would do if grown 3-4 inches apart with minimal weeds.

I am anxious to see how the bigger cloves do next year.

What do you think?

About 2 years I gathered the bulbiles and scattered then in the orchard area of The Ridge. They are growing wild everywhere now. I am also interested on anything that grows wild in my area.

Ben

Today I did a bit of work in the garden, I pulled up the onions and garlic, they are now stored in the drying racks I built 3 years ago. I made a set of modified tomato cages for my cucumbers, I used 2 cages and laced the bottoms together, and used one of the tops as an anchor in the bottom of the large container. I planted Brussels sprouts in 2 of my experimental containers, I cleaned out 3 spinach beds and then planted 1 row of green onions and 3 different types of summer lettuces, I planted some okra where the garlic had been, but I ran out of plants before I ran out of bed...

Mostly just watered everything. Found a bunny nest in my strawberry patch. Actually my dog found it didn’t have a good outcome. Did sit in the yard and marvel that not one plant was purchased. Everything was either direct sown from seed or started in the house under the grow lights.

My red norland potatoes flopped over for their harvesting. Thought it might be early but weather has been so weird this year. Not a impressive harvest so I popped into Whole Foods for some organic replacements to plant. Found a bag that had eyes sprouting already.

Went to Lowes and got the decking wood for the platform that dad is building for the greenhouse. We should have it done tomorrow.

My taters in th ebeds are flopping over too. The ones down in the garden are still standing tall, but starting to brown up a little. I'll dig a few as we go to eat on, but I never harvest the entire crop until "dog days" are past. It gives the skins time to toughen up so they don't skin so easy when diggin them. They store longer usually too. This year's date is July 3rd until august 11th.

Dog days - Wikipedia

My taters in th ebeds are flopping over too. The ones down in the garden are still standing tall, but starting to brown up a little. I'll dig a few as we go to eat on, but I never harvest the entire crop until "dog days" are past. It gives the skins time to toughen up so they don't skin so easy when diggin them. They store longer usually too. This year's date is July 3rd until august 11th.

Dog days - Wikipedia

Dog days 2022 in United States will begin on
Sunday
July 3
and ends on
Thursday
August 11

Well, my sweetcorn in gone, kaput. I had 4 plantings one week apart. We had sweetcorn for about 12 days. All we wanted to eat from the first two plantings. Then August weather arrived, bone dry and 100 degree temps. It cooked the last few rows.

Had a separate planting of Mosby white corn also, wanted to grow some for cornmeal. It isn’t going to make, might get a couple ears to eat after the 4th.

Nothing to report besides my porch plants. The Thai chili is loaded, wished they’d been 2. There was a single lonely Thai chili plant in an empty tray, only one I saw. Same thing happened the last time I got one a few years ago! Anyway, great peppers, hotter than cayenne. There will be enough to grind up, save the powder for making Hot n Sour soup.

Lemon balm is doing great.

pl porch thai a.JPG
pl porch 01a.JPG

We grew some of those peppers last year. I gave a couple of plants to my cousin Jay, he had come by with his van to visit and I loaded him up with plants in the greenhouse that I didn't have room to plant. I had seeded lots of peppers, and lost the tags on the few he ended up with. He called later and asked what kind those "really hot ones that look like Christmas light bulbs" were.

My corn for the most part never came up. I might get a few ears...if we get rain.
Watermelons got replanted, they came up but stopped at about 2' tall. Squash is about the same. Early kidney and Great Northern beans are blooming, but need rain to make anything mucj. Late beans came right up then stopped. I doubt they'll do anything this year.

A few years ago I had a bug problem on my porch. Had a dozen pepper plants and another dozen medicinals. A bug I couldn’t find did major damaged to several plants, killed one.

I finally noticed a little black bug with white spots on the wings. I tried DE, didn’t slow them down a bit. I hit the books, took a day to find it’s name…

Lobesia botrana aka European Grapevine Moth. A nasty pest that does major crop damage.

Nothing I had short of Sevin dust could hurt them and I’m not putting that on medicinal plants. So I’m saying not nice things and thought moth to a flame, wish I had a bonfire! Then thought… tea candles. I bought a case. Just before bed I’d light a few tea candles and place them around my plants.

The first night I killed about 30 of the #$%. The next night I put out even more candles. So many dead moths I couldn’t count them. Damage to my plants stopped. Think I got a few over the next several days but one or two don't do noticeable damage.

I haven’t had them since… until tonight. :mad: Moments ago I was looking out my door to see what the dogs were barking at and there one was!!! On the glass pane of my outer door. I still have candles left so going to put out a few tonight.

Anyway, a heads up. If you see one there are another 50 close by. I’ve only seen them at night so candles work good here.

This is what the USDA says about them…

USDA APHIS | The European Grapevine Moth (lobesia botrana or EGVM)

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/pests-diseases/hungry-pests/the-threat/hp-egvm/hp-egvm

Grape moth .jpg
Tea Candles (5)a.JPG

My go to’s for pests are Pyola and Dawn dishwashing liquid.

For the dawn, I use a one quart hand sprayer and give it a long one-second squirt of detergent then slowly fill with water to mix. Give a shot on about any insect and kills them. Nailed a bunch of Japanese beetles this morning. I carry it around when plant checking or watering. Good in that you can zap individuals as you see them. Not really a good preventative spray though. As in spray everything in hopes it helps.

The pyola is my general spray when I see a bunch of damage and on individuals. It will damage beneficials as well as pests, so I use it only when needed for an infestation or when I suspect there is going to be one.

Both will wash right off anything edible harvested. Put it on a broad spray to get those flying things like moths. Or.. Use the stream to get in some target practice on moving targets! :)

Edit for link:

I buy the concentrate:
https://www.gardensalive.com/product/pyola-insect-spray-4

Got 8 last night with 5 candles. Saw 12 so I have more to kill. Also got several dozen little brown moths of some type.

As usual the moths eventually put out the candles sometime during the night. Only one burned out. Tonight I'll put out 10 candles and start earlier in the evening. I'll have time to clean out the dead moths and relight the candles before bed.

These little bugs are nasty, the damage they can do in a few days is astonishing.

It's War!
Grape moth IMG_4729 a.JPG

My watering situation is really becoming bothersome. Tonight we’re resorting to using the sprinkler. I had wanted to try to do it mostly with rainwater from the barrels but it’s been so hot and we’ve been watering so much because everything‘s in containers that the barrels are less than half full. We have three of them all 55 gallons.

today was spent mowing the lawn. It’s not that hard I can use a push mower. Yesterday we got the decking for under the greenhouse. Tell my father is a lot of work you did just to put a plastic greenhouse on top. His reply was “gave me something to do.” Truthfully it looks nice and I really like it. Leaves were always blowing up under it now it has a nice little deck. He’s going to clamp it down to the decking tomorrow so that wind won’t be able to take it away. I always laugh when I think about that. Oh well here’s some gratuitous pictures.
94DBEA3F-2679-45C7-9BE1-B637856ADC4A.jpeg

@Peanut can you net the plants? If the moths are doing night damage how about draping a sheer curtain over them until morning?
It's not practical in my situation. My porch is 6ft x 50ft, I have two igloo dog houses (big), 2 grills, a generator, 12 plants and then the 5g water buckets. I have to carry water to the chickens and bull calf, water for other things, 8-5g buckets. And a chair!

There are hedges at the edge of the porch that cut the width to 5ft, and hide all the crap on the porch from the road. I have a path down the center of the porch. There is no room for framing and netting.

Tea candles are cheap, effective and require little effort. The toad frogs seem to like them also. They camp out by the candles and eat bugs all night.

Latest posts

Back