Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. Thinking & planning and even went thru my seed stash. I have most of what I'd need but there's a couple of pepper varieties I'd love to get seed for. Hopefully I can get the order in by the end of the week or next week at the latest.

The wife is wanting to do a detailed plan for this year's garden to minimize the number of plants and maximize the usable yield, so we are going to sit down and map everything out. Our New Year's plans are a bust because the guests we were going to have over attended a church event last week that afterward had several people test positive for COVID, so that might be something to do as we wait to ring in the new year.

I have made maps of the garden space using google maps to obtain overhead images, this allows me to make shade maps (Only estimates) for planting crops.

I do have most of my seeds ordered for 2022, but how we plant them will change compared to 2021.

I hope/goal is to grow a garden only with what i have on hand in my seed stocks..both from my own seed gathering and old seed. there is one seed i want to order and try but not sure it will happen...painted pony. i have a very old green bean and all the seed is very very old. i would like to get a few sprouted and produce seed. it goes way back and no longer available that i can find,even called company and no dice.

the other item i need is watermelon seed.i have an old rare one but theres another i like to try but its hard to get seed for. the one i have i only have 10 old seed.its bradford watermelon out of the south.the seed is about $1 each by time you add shipping costs.

checked garden and i have 90some martin garlic up now.

one new thing i am doing is starting sweet potatoes. i bought a pack of them that were way over grown vines in a 6 pack once and clipped all the vines and just cloned,rooted them and made enough slips to plant a row from but i never done them from potato ..sooo.its a goal.

theres always more goals and wants than time and energy !

It seems each year I have to focus on one or two veggies. Like last year the deer just trampled my sweet potatoes down to nothing. Jumped the fence to get to the other Side????? It was weird. But I am still planting normal, just focusing on bigger plots of sweet potatoes and green beans this year.

The wife is wanting to do a detailed plan for this year's garden to minimize the number of plants and maximize the usable yield, so we are going to sit down and map everything out. Our New Year's plans are a bust because the guests we were going to have over attended a church event last week that afterward had several people test positive for COVID, so that might be something to do as we wait to ring in the new year.

I have made maps of the garden space using google maps to obtain overhead images, this allows me to make shade maps (Only estimates) for planting crops.

I do have most of my seeds ordered for 2022, but how we plant them will change compared to 2021.

Depending on your area and if you plan it JUST right, it's possible to get 2 crops in the same space. Plant one crop on the early side and use mulch or row cover to protect it and once you've harvested it (by June/July?), prep the ground and plant either a second same crop or something else in the same space to be harvested in the fall.

Some things like corn, beans, tomatoes, etc take too long for that to work with, but things with shorter growing times do.

Depending on your area and if you plan it JUST right, it's possible to get 2 crops in the same space. Plant one crop on the early side and use mulch or row cover to protect it and once you've harvested it (by June/July?), prep the ground and plant either a second same crop or something else in the same space to be harvested in the fall.

Some things like corn, beans, tomatoes, etc take too long for that to work with, but things with shorter growing times do.
I start plants early indoors and then plant, harvest, replant. In 2021 I was able to get 2 or 3 crops off each area of the garden. The green beans gave me a mixed bag with some spaces giving me 6 harvests off 3 plantings. The spinach had an early harvest (April/May) followed be a small summer crop, and then I had a winter crop that is being harvested now. I did grow some carrots and stuff under my tomato plants with limited success. My biggest problem last year was squeezing too much into small spaces which resulted in a mid-summer crisis, so this year I plan to focus on better spacing with fewer healthier plants.

I start plants early indoors and then plant, harvest, replant. In 2021 I was able to get 2 or 3 crops off each area of the garden. The green beans gave me a mixed bag with some spaces giving me 6 harvests off 3 plantings. The spinach had an early harvest (April/May) followed be a small summer crop, and then I had a winter crop that is being harvested now. I did grow some carrots and stuff under my tomato plants with limited success. My biggest problem last year was squeezing too much into small spaces which resulted in a mid-summer crisis, so this year I plan to focus on better spacing with fewer healthier plants.

That is something I have a problem with too.......too much in too small of space. I get carried away with intercropping and companion planting and worrying it's not going to be enough and having done it that way for several years in the same spot has wreaked havoc on the soil., This year I'm going to try to leave the main garden sit & rest, and have been working on improving 3 other spots that haven't been used so much. Hopefully that will help me to remember all things need space. So I'm trying to plan what types of crops I can grow in each one and allowing for yearly rotation, to maximize harvest.

My main goal is to grow enough to feed us for a year. Some things are easy, other things not so much. So hopefully I can get it right this time

Starting Raised beds is a learning experience. I tend to load them way to heavy. While they produce well it makes harvesting hard and slows ripening down. I'm gonna cut back on loading the beds this year. Also starting to work on crop rotation now between what will be 10 beds once I finish building them.

I would love to do all raised beds tall enough to sit on the side (about 20-24 inches high) and to heck with worrying about water loss in the pathways, but the cost of materials to do that now is staggering and out of reach. Any extra funds right now have to go to home improvement projects, like a new roof that is high priority.

I know......I need to win a lottery and winter to be over. Maybe I'll just pout until that happens. That could take awhile and no fun in the process. *grumble, grumble*

Just placed an order with Baker Creek.
Trying some new to me things come growing time.
Dragon Egg Cucumber (white, large egg shape. some say ostrich egg lol)
Minnesota Midget Melon (cantaloupe type)
Sugar Baby Bush Watermelon
Purple Perversion Plantain
Stevia (going to try to grow it. some say its temperamental and hard)
Contender Bean (Buff Valentine Bean) (never done a contender type)
And they're sending me a pack of free seeds which I have no idea what they are lol

Tomato Fest does that too. They sent me a cherry tomato this year called Fruit Punch

I have plenty of seeds left over from last year and if I time it right I can hit the Dollar Tree store when they get their seeds in and also the Dollar General store too. Just have to keep watch on their sales flyers online

Well….. I have been thinking about our canned inventory and thanks to canning we have a lot left from the 2021 season on the shelf. I’ve been debating even planting the produce we have an abundance of on the shelves since we have plenty to last another year. However with my mother in law’s situation I’m thinking maybe the plan will be to grow the items and can it for her/them. I can not see her gardening at her age while on kemo/radiation. Will have to have this discussion with my hubby this weekend before ordering seeds. Semi patiently waiting for our Baker Creek Catalog to arrive anyways.

dont hate me because i am beautiful....roflmao

yesterday i started the year off with a fresh garden tomato.picked in early november been sitting in basket in darkish and cool temps then pulled and sitting on counter in sunshine last 3 weels. its a parks whopper improved. its what was green when frost was coming. i think romas would get way farther into winter. or some of the old storage tomatoes bred for this...if i recall theres one called storage or it use to be. anyhow it tasted like a fresh juicy mater from garden.only one i had...it was delicious though !

DSC05080.JPG

DSC05082.JPG

DSC05089.JPG

I picked up some red onions at Bob Wells Nursery when I went with my daughter to get fruit trees for her place. They’ll go in the ground at the end of the month. I just trimmed back the rosemary and am going to try to root some of the cuttings. I’m drying some pie pumpkin seeds.
We usually only grow what’s more expensive at the grocery or what takes considerably better homegrown but I think this year Im going to take more of a back to basics approach and focus on getting good at growing white, red, and sweet potatoes, carrots, beans, peas and other calorie and nutrient dense foods.
I also want to grow food for the chickens, I’m really interested in getting them off the pellet, though I realize that’s a lofty goal.

I hope/goal is to grow a garden only with what i have on hand in my seed stocks..both from my own seed gathering and old seed. there is one seed i want to order and try but not sure it will happen...painted pony. i have a very old green bean and all the seed is very very old. i would like to get a few sprouted and produce seed. it goes way back and no longer available that i can find,even called company and no dice.

the other item i need is watermelon seed.i have an old rare one but theres another i like to try but its hard to get seed for. the one i have i only have 10 old seed.its bradford watermelon out of the south.the seed is about $1 each by time you add shipping costs.

checked garden and i have 90some martin garlic up now.

one new thing i am doing is starting sweet potatoes. i bought a pack of them that were way over grown vines in a 6 pack once and clipped all the vines and just cloned,rooted them and made enough slips to plant a row from but i never done them from potato ..sooo.its a goal.

theres always more goals and wants than time and energy !
I just planted a "Good Mother Stollard" bean yesterday. They are pretty! It hasn't sprouted yet ;)
dont hate me because i am beautiful....roflmao

yesterday i started the year off with a fresh garden tomato.picked in early november been sitting in basket in darkish and cool temps then pulled and sitting on counter in sunshine last 3 weels. its a parks whopper improved. its what was green when frost was coming. i think romas would get way farther into winter. or some of the old storage tomatoes bred for this...if i recall theres one called storage or it use to be. anyhow it tasted like a fresh juicy mater from garden.only one i had...it was delicious though !

View attachment 77980

View attachment 77981

View attachment 77982
We just ate our last one right before Christmas. I pulled loaded plants and hung them upside down in the summer kitchen vine and all. They continue to ripen.
Well….. I have been thinking about our canned inventory and thanks to canning we have a lot left from the 2021 season on the shelf. I’ve been debating even planting the produce we have an abundance of on the shelves since we have plenty to last another year. However with my mother in law’s situation I’m thinking maybe the plan will be to grow the items and can it for her/them. I can not see her gardening at her age while on kemo/radiation. Will have to have this discussion with my hubby this weekend before ordering seeds. Semi patiently waiting for our Baker Creek Catalog to arrive anyways.
Yes plant, even if you don't need it: it's always easy to give away &/or sell extras and you will have fresh in season so your canned stores will keep you longer during winter months. If you know how much (about) you eat in a year, if you are a little shy, you can do a small batch to get your store up to a two year cycle. I like to do messy things every other year (corn!) I often end up doing a single batch in the off year, but not a big deal. Then you only have that kind of mess and process every other year.
Just placed an order with Baker Creek.
Trying some new to me things come growing time.
Dragon Egg Cucumber (white, large egg shape. some say ostrich egg lol)
Minnesota Midget Melon (cantaloupe type)
Sugar Baby Bush Watermelon
Purple Perversion Plantain
Stevia (going to try to grow it. some say its temperamental and hard)
Contender Bean (Buff Valentine Bean) (never done a contender type)
And they're sending me a pack of free seeds which I have no idea what they are lol

Tomato Fest does that too. They sent me a cherry tomato this year called Fruit Punch

I have plenty of seeds left over from last year and if I time it right I can hit the Dollar Tree store when they get their seeds in and also the Dollar General store too. Just have to keep watch on their sales flyers online
I have lots of contenders. Once you get them going, they are easy to get seed from. Those and blue lakes are my standards. They also can up pretty nicely as long as you don't let them go too long.

WHAT??? You planted them outside? ??
Nope not planting in the snow - heehee. I planted one in a pot inside. I couldn't even remember planting them so wanted to see if it's a pole bean or bush bean (had both). When I looked up Elk's pony bean, I found mine and recognized the picture and the name. If it grows, I will have an indoor bean plant 😁 Better than a poisonous poinsettia.

Nope not planting in the snow - heehee. I planted one in a pot inside. I couldn't even remember planting them so wanted to see if it's a pole bean or bush bean (had both). When I looked up Elk's pony bean, I found mine and recognized the picture and the name. If it grows, I will have an indoor bean plant 😁 Better than a poisonous poinsettia.

Aren't Good Mother Stollards a pole bean?? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else,

Husband tilled garden up. Plans to retill, spray to kill coastal and grass burrs and till again when everything is killed. He is helpful with that part and that’s all except telling me I have bugs. I need to start getting a few loads of compost from mushroom plant to let them cook before spreading in. My tomatoes are sprouting in pantry as are sweet potatoes. I can’t even go out my back door due to ice but planning for February!

Back