Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know theres several individuals that have bred or are breeding up sweet corn. top hat has been out awhile...theres others out there. not sure why this corn has not taken off better. i think it has something to do with the name myself. i never even heard of the tradition that saying comes frome from..something about whoever back in the day shucked a ear of red corn got kissed at corn shucking. but anyhow..it doesnt roll off the tongue like it should and doesnt say corn to modern audiences.notice my picture mine are more white...i have plans for this corn to breed up my own variety to sale one day if possible. but before that i have to grow it out in volume to see how it produces. not 100% satisfied but it produced during heat and drought. i want to see it under great conditions and several 100 stalks.

Here is one place that has the seed. Looks like there are several. I'm gonna try some next year and see how it does around here.

Who Gets Kissed Sweet Corn

So tonight I checked my seed stash looking for "bush" cucumbers and I found 3 different ones. So I planted 4 seeds from each packet into started cups, I did put markers in them so I won't be relying on faulty memory chips to know what does what. My plant is to see how they grow and if I can keep them contained and if they have any yield. I still have about 3 months before hard freezes so if necessary I can move them into my bug screened area outside. Hopefully, I will be able to figure something out that can work over the winter....

So tonight I checked my seed stash looking for "bush" cucumbers and I found 3 different ones. So I planted 4 seeds from each packet into started cups, I did put markers in them so I won't be relying on faulty memory chips to know what does what. My plant is to see how they grow and if I can keep them contained and if they have any yield. I still have about 3 months before hard freezes so if necessary I can move them into my bug screened area outside. Hopefully, I will be able to figure something out that can work over the winter....
When all else fails, resort to your stash. Keep us posted

Here is one place that has the seed. Looks like there are several. I'm gonna try some next year and see how it does around here.

Who Gets Kissed Sweet Corn

see what half pound costs...$18.95. all sweet corn is starting at $25 a pound these days. its reason i tried all these varieties to see what works and tastes half decent and get a stash of seed.

that old heirloom i planted the other day popped out of the ground and has high germination rate. it was from victoryseeds and first time planting seed from them. its had best germination of corn i have planted for last several years. was it the type or freshness of seed. i dont know..just a note from my gardens.

what the crows pulled up a few patches i needed lots of seed to replant missing spots with last few years. the top hat is drying down right now in garden. shucks are turning brown but stalks are green. it will be awhile.

elk is marching towards seed security!

Last edited:
My rain barrels ran empty this morning and it was in the mid 90s today, thankfully we got a rain this afternoon.

I think I want to add enough water storage to my system bu next year to increase my capacity to cover a 2 full weeks. My concern is if this area experiences a drought next year then they will start limiting water or bumping up the price. Even during a drought we get a rain every few weeks and that would keep my garden going at a reduced level. The other thing I think I should do it increase the area of my catchment system so I can gather more water from each rain.

This morning I started thinking about enclosing the area around my basement walkout, I have a covered area that is about 8'X10' that could be enclosed to act as a small greenhouse in the winter. It extends 8' to the West (creating a south facing wall) and is west facing so it would get the afternoon sun. The ceiling is about 10' high, so I could easily put 4'X2' multi-shelf growing station and have between 32 and 40 sq-ft of growing area.

Lots of stuff I would like to do, but with limited resources I have to choose what my priorities are....

Well, our plants are coming in. Tomatoes have really slowed due to high heat. Missed a few cucumbers under the leaves. Found them a couple days ago. Yellow on the outside and over 18" long... Oops.
Peppers are looking good but many plants didn't produce any.
Picked the onions yesterday. Many/most are baseball to softball size. :)

Attachments

• Resized_20220810_153809.jpeg
    Resized_20220810_153809.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 0
Nice harvest Zoom.
I picked a couple gallons of maters. Slowed way down, but still lots of green ones on the vine. Got a few more cuts, but 1 or 2 more harvest and they are done.
Went to my little orchard and picked a few Barletta pears. Want to test and make sure they are ready. Seem to be, gonna have a bunch of them for the first time. Also picked 3 gallons of honey crisp apples, first time as well.
And very sad, my golden delicious tree was loaded down. So much it broke the top out in a recent wind storm. Plus I am way late picking them. They must have been ready 1 or 2 weeks ago. Just been busy and forgot to check on them. I got about 2 to 3 gallons. But I would have easily has 15 to 20 gallons a couple weeks ago.
Picked a few great northern beans also. They are ready but wet from rain. Ill pull them tomorrow or Saturday. I pull the entire plants up and find me a shady spit. Kidney beans are ready too.
Saturday will be busy. Beans and 2 rows of taters to get from the garden. Then most of my remaining onions and the whole load of shallots.
God has blessed us this year

Update, I was able to go to other sites and find seeds for most of the things I normally grow, so I have an order covering about 90% of what I expect to need. I don't know if this other supplier's seeds are the same quality as my go-to source but a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I picked our early great northern and kidney beans. I let them mostly dry up and just pull the whole plant. I've got them scattered out on tarps to lay out in the sun the next couple days. Northerns had a third more plants in the same length row, but the kidneys had a lot more pods per plant. I'd bet beans will be close.

Also looked at my elderberry plants. One of them has one cluster of berries on it. That was unexpected

I have 4 more bakers sheets of tomatoes to can, but my tomatoes look sickly. I pruned the dying leaves and pulled up any dead plants, just so happens I have some replacement plants in the house that are over a foot high.. As I was working the soil I realized that one row of tomatoes was water logged and the other side was bone dry. My tomatoes are in 3'X8' raised beds on a concrete base and they are fully lined with plastic (making their containers water tight). I have separate valves to each so I turned off the water to the soaked bed and added an emitter for each plant in the dry bed. I have decided that going forward I will make a sampling tube in the center of each bed, using 1" PVC with 1/4" holes drilled in it wrapped with insect screen. This should give me a way to check the moisture to the bottom of each of my closed beds using a wooden dowel, I think it will also help for my container plants too.

It is not a problem with my open bottomed containers but the ones that are water tight can easily have these issues...

My primary cucumber plants were also a little dry so I added an emitter to each of their containers.

For me this is one of the busiest times of year, the plants are producing well enough and it is also time to start planning for winter gardening and then hunting season is just a month away... lots to do...

Hey @hashbrown, because your flower plants are permitted are you able to sell their parts to one of those medicinal places? I imagine it could be a good cash crop.

I have 4 more bakers sheets of tomatoes to can, but my tomatoes look sickly. I pruned the dying leaves and pulled up any dead plants, just so happens I have some replacement plants in the house that are over a foot high.. As I was working the soil I realized that one row of tomatoes was water logged and the other side was bone dry. My tomatoes are in 3'X8' raised beds on a concrete base and they are fully lined with plastic (making their containers water tight). I have separate valves to each so I turned off the water to the soaked bed and added an emitter for each plant in the dry bed. I have decided that going forward I will make a sampling tube in the center of each bed, using 1" PVC with 1/4" holes drilled in it wrapped with insect screen. This should give me a way to check the moisture to the bottom of each of my closed beds using a wooden dowel, I think it will also help for my container plants too.

It is not a problem with my open bottomed containers but the ones that are water tight can easily have these issues...

My primary cucumber plants were also a little dry so I added an emitter to each of their containers.

For me this is one of the busiest times of year, the plants are producing well enough and it is also time to start planning for winter gardening and then hunting season is just a month away... lots to do...

Hey @hashbrown, because your flower plants are permitted are you able to sell their parts to one of those medicinal places? I imagine it could be a good cash crop.

Yes Sir!

Harvested my shallots and most of my late onions today. filled a 5 gallon bucket with onions. Have 16 left but they aren't quite ready yet. Covered 2 bread racks with them. Shallots filled between 2 & 3 gallons. Covered another bread rack.

Cleaned up most of my early onions, well at least the Highlanders. Filled a peach basket with them after cleaning them up.

My squash seem to be on the decline now. The extra tomatoes I put in the ground yesterday have flowers (they were 2' high when I planted them). My varieties of bush cucumbers came up, looks like about 80+% sprouted, as usual I have extra's again.....

Dug taters in the lower garden spot. Almost a row of Yukon golds. Other row was split between 2 purple types. Got almost a bushel. All 3 types are smaller taters.
Small potatoes look the same when mashed up with cream & butter.

Found this notice, might be something you can pass on to those in need

Hi! When we have a surplus of seeds we like to give them to those in need. We will be giving away a ton of heirloom tomatoes at the end of the month! Let us know if you are interested. If you have any questions message us on here or at one our shops www.timstomatoes.com

or timstomatoes.Etsy.com

My main cucumber patch had really slowed in production, this morning as I was watering I looked it over closely and discovered APHIDS, millions of them. I learned my lesson a year or so ago and aphids are very bad in my book. So I guess I will just pull the plants early and then spray the whole area with bug juice..... Makes me sad to have to kill otherwise healthy plants.

We are back to doing regular harvests of lettuce, I have about 4 varieties growing and we a making bagged salads using lettuce, spinach, carrots, and celery. We have separate containers with cherry tomatoes, sliced veggies (bell peppers, cucumbers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower and radishes) for added color or crunch depending on individual taste. It is nice to be able to regularly displace some of the food we would need to be buying.

I am making a large growing area in what I call my "high bay" growing area, the plan is to put my indoor bell pepper, squash and cucumbers there.
There is lots of work to do outside and inside as the summer comes to an end, it is hard to imagine that in just a few weeks Labor Day will be here.

Latest posts

Back