GARDEN 2023

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’ve had rain every weekend I’ve been off from work. I picked some of the last peppers tonight, there’s still a bunch on the plants, but I’m not sure how the weather is going to hold out for them. Carrots are still in the ground and will be there for another week or two. Since we had a rash of not too many people being able to process their harvest. And I’m in the same club. By time I get home from work, I don’t have the energy to do any processing of harvest. The weekends always seem to be too packed with so many other things that need doing.
And how!
I’m slowly getting things put to bed here and there. Will see if anyone needs tomatoes Sunday then pull all those which will clean up a lot.

Rain here starting at dusk Thursday.. All Thursday night, and predicted to end Saturday noon or so.. A total of 3" so far... As bad as it is needed, I hope it doesn't set back corn, bean, potato harvest.. I've seen it so wet they had to winch a tractor and potato harvester across the field.. What they called ...mudding them out...

Moisture too late for trees and such.. They are still in late drought mode.. Hopefully trees and such will come into next spring with adequate moisture to thrive.. That will be a blessing for the maple sap, fruit and berry orchards and wild fruits and nuts..

Very cold here, with sunshine and showers. Finished clearing up the poly- its amazing how many weeds took hold, especially in the strawberry bed. I took the offshoots and created a new one, as we had a great year this year, they are still producing, since May. I have bush beans, cabbage and chard in the middle beds, some Kale at the side. I cut back and moved a grapevine also- but I was a bit distracted with the dog, and realised after I had moved the wrong one! Gave up plaiting onions, just boxed them to bring indoors. I plan a day of slicing and freezing.
1697283452732.JPEG

1697283453346.JPEG

1697283452674.JPEG

Rain here starting at dusk Thursday.. All Thursday night, and predicted to end Saturday noon or so.. A total of 3" so far... As bad as it is needed, I hope it doesn't set back corn, bean, potato harvest.. I've seen it so wet they had to winch a tractor and potato harvester across the field.. What they called ...mudding them out...

Moisture too late for trees and such.. They are still in late drought mode.. Hopefully trees and such will come into next spring with adequate moisture to thrive.. That will be a blessing for the maple sap, fruit and berry orchards and wild fruits and nuts..
What state are you in?

I finally made it out to plant my garlic sets, I had some shallots but they sat too long and were a loss (I planted them but don't expect anything).

I finished getting the greenhouse skin on and a double layer on the south wall. The greenhouse is shaded by the new solar panels and is only staying about 11F warmer than the outside temperature, I may have to use active heating if it gets cold... but I finished sealing it up after dark so it may not be an accurate assessment yet.

I finished the reservoir and the trays for the ebb-flow part of the greenhouse, I plan to put them on the shelves and plumb them today (Plants are waiting... ready to go) I have some greenhouse cucumbers that will go on the south-most end of the shelves. I do need to move some of the grow lights and install a work light so I can tend to things after-hours...

I have some lettuce that is ready to be sub-divided into one of the raised beds. I have 3 patches of green onions from tooth pick size up to something that should have already been harvested, we shouldn't have to buy any for the rest of the year...

getting my seed threshed and in storage for the future last couple of days.

white heirloom sweet corn and Cherokee trail of tears beans

yall please tell me if these pictures are way to big.i am using an older new camera to me i bought a few years ago and its way more megapixel etc. than camera i used for years.newer one has way to many functions and bells and whistles to it over my old camera.

P1000210.JPG

P1000211.JPG

P1000215.JPG

P1000217.JPG

P1000219.JPG

P1000222.JPG
P1000225.JPG

getting my seed threshed and in storage for the future last couple of days.

white heirloom sweet corn and Cherokee trail of tears beans

yall please tell me if these pictures are way to big.i am using an older new camera to me i bought a few years ago and its way more megapixel etc. than camera i used for years.newer one has way to many functions and bells and whistles to it over my old camera.

View attachment 118403

View attachment 118404

View attachment 118405

View attachment 118406

View attachment 118407

View attachment 118408View attachment 118409
I think the pictures are great!!

We are expecting a freeze the next couple days, so I grabbed the last stuff outta the garden. Got the last 6 butternutt squash. And I had an experiment going with my yukon gold taters. I planted a few spuds with eyes on them back when I harvested my full crop back in August. We had a big dry spell in September and October and I wasn't expecting to get anything from them. Dug them up tonight and got 1/2 a bucket full. About half of them were very good size. Next year I'll get them started around July 4th and add soaker hoses so they keep a consistant moisture level. I gotta make some good notes on this.

results of my experiment of growing my own sets for next spring. it has worked out better this time than my first try. i planted later than Martin had aid to this time. i think it has to do with me being much farther south than he was. anyways i hope they finish drying down. i done two types Martin amish yellow bottle onion and some heirloom red french onion(Rose De Roscoff)...to my understanding this was a great keeper and was sold all over in Europe. i wish it was spring time and these were nice green slips just ready for transplanting. i might try getting some slips started for spring time as well. not much seed left and you cant buy this(bottle onion). hope to produce a bunch of seed of both. these will be planted in different location to prevent cross pollination.

bottle onion

P1000498.JPG

rose onion

P1000499.JPG

My first try at growing sweet potatoes. Hopefully I'll do better next year. I'm thinking of trying to save the larger one across the bottom for my slips next year
046.JPG

What variety are those WV? They look similar to mine this year in size and shape
Don't know. The one I used for slips came from the grocery store at Thanksgiving last year

I transplanted three brussel sprouts early spring. They grew for a bit and then just sat there doing nothing, under burlap because it was too hot and to keep the bugs off.

I dug them up before the first hard frost and put them in 5 gal buckets in the front boot room which is on the cool side but gets light.

I will be harvesting sprouts from one plant this weekend, and it looks like the other two will have some nice ones in time for Christmas dinner.

Latest posts

Back