Garden Goals for 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
what are your garden goals for 2021? what are you growing next year?

for me i want to cut back on rabbit damage. even though i have electric fence the little boogers jump between the wires .i have watched them do it. they got a big surprise coming..i ordered and now received and have in my possession versa netting to go around bottom of garden and its electrified...roflmao..its about 2inch by 2 inch mesh...they wont get through that !

i am putting out a patch of my purple heirloom corn i got from friend years ago. grew out seed this year(2020) to have enough to plant this year.

more onions...i would like to have large storage onions..maybe dakota tears?

lets talk gardens...it wont be long...lol...hows that for looking forward to spring time.

How big is the garden area? We just went up with chicken wire about 18" and had no problem for about 10 years. chicken wire rusted and now they can get in again, but it lasted 10 years.

elkhound has multiple gardens often. has had as many as 4 in a year...lol...right now i have a 45x45 , 150x50 and a 8x40.2 other gardens are resting till i need them. 2 larger gardens have deer fencing around them and electrified.high tinsel....it turns the bear ! not to mention my tear drop orchard fence...lol

This will be the first time for me growing a kitchen garden on our farm. Because we moved here last summer. So we have the area plotted out, next to the greenhouse, and the other edge is where the grape vines are. There are piles of aged manure thrown in the area from us cleaning out the barns. Have called a cousin who will come by and till the whole area soon and we can start working in the manure. Right now I have in the greenhouse growing: radish, lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, mint, rosemary, and onion. They are doing fine. Before spring I plan to start from seed tomato, all different squashes, green beans. I want to do potatoes, and a local cousin does real well with them, so she said she'd give me pointers as to what she does. Was thinking about a strawberry section, too. And I'll need to start thinking about a fence of some sort. The back farming acreage is planted in Alfalfa, so that's good for awhile. I'm thinking of another area for strictly herbs. I've always had an herb garden with lots of types of mints for tea. And then always oregano, sage, rosemary, basil for cooking. We have aged manure for days around here, so I'll see what we can do. There's a pear tree and grapes that are well established.

i am growing out several items that are to find if you can find them at all. 1 is the makah potato from makah tribe in washington state.they are rare so i hope they do well. a friend gave me a start this year and i might have enough for a full row of 40 to 50 hills.

golden shallots that you get going by sets not seed.old heirloom not shallots of today.

just to name a few.

yes...they have all heights and spacing on website.

We just got back on the garden area when I had health problems so now have to gt back to it, the electric wire looks good at least for part of the area. Just put up a huge huglekulture mound about 3 years ago that I personally dug 5X20' and put tree logs in.
May see if the chicken wire is much less than that really neat looking wire your using.

i will be doing some gardening all winter as i have several trees to get out i kept in pots that i grafted various varities on them and wanted close by to keep a watch and well watered till now. grapes i started from cutting. one apple tree i grafted 4 scion on it from a new heirloom varity a guy bred up called BITE ME! he named it that because industry said he couldnt get apples via apple seed reproduction. he has several he will be releasing in open seed source initiative type thing to get it in hands of people and not giant corps who might patenet stuff. he has a all red and red flesh called black strawberry that is beautiful and tastes like berrys.

steven edholm of skillcult name/logo is a great homesteader doing all kinds of things for homesteaders of today.

Hoping to get our son here for a little while. Thinking about another greenhouse, and he's built alot of them. He also manages a plant nursery as a job, and always has great ideas. Last year he grew tons of kiwanos. They were all over the place.

Wish mine was available more often he is seldom in country. Daughter did come down and help now and then.

They swarm in and he may wish he'd named it "Excuse Me". But it does sound interesting.

you misunderstand....industry wont use apple seeds to reproduce trees as apples dont reproduce true to form. the genetics are scrambled inside each seed so you get unique varieties from seed planted. it takes time to get trees grown and produce fruit to even taste test. then if you get a nice variety you then graft it on root stock to get exact same tree over and over so you can have more. steven is and has planted 100's of seeds to come up with new varieties. he releases so they CANT use it and patent in future.this is old school apple breeding.

once a company patent it then you CANT use those genetics or even better if its tradmarked.patents run out but trade marks dont.

he is anti big ag patent and is strictly working for homestead apples that serve the working homestead. hes working on an apple that will hang in trees till january or later and still be good,just to name one of many roads he goes down.apples with great taste and more in them,not these store bought items they call apples.

Last edited:
elkhound has multiple gardens often. has had as many as 4 in a year...lol...right now i have a 45x45 , 150x50 and a 8x40.2 other gardens are resting till i need them. 2 larger gardens have deer fencing around them and electrified.high tinsel....it turns the bear ! not to mention my tear drop orchard fence...lol

Maybe when you get time put up some pictures. We have 4 raised beds, one mound, and 10x20 greenhouse but none of it is being used right now.

Interesting info on those apples and the work he has done to get them. I admire his attempts at keeping the Corps hands off them.

I have some fig cuttings in the works to start new plants for spring. Trying 2 different ways for them. I'll have about 20 if they both work. Plan to do the same with a couple of blueberry bushes in the spring.
Also gonna build more raised beds to add to the 2 I did this year. I hope to have 10-12 eventually. I want to get at least 6 done this winter and ready to go by spring. I've started putting together seed orders also. Some stuff for this coming year and a lot more to put back for the future. I'm always looking for new to me types of different veggies. I've got 6-8 different beans built up for seed. Probably 10 different watermelons, several different winter squash. I stick with open pollinated stock almost entirely. I have a good gallon of okra seed from stock I've grown for 20 years or more. Starting to build stock of tomatos and peppers as well.
I've got my onions ordered and plan to let a few of them winter over and grow for seed in 2022. Also gonna grow more parsnips and carrots in 2021. Gonna try different things in the beds too. Cabbage, lots of greens. We shall see what else

Interesting info on those apples and the work he has done to get them. I admire his attempts at keeping the Corps hands off them.

I have some fig cuttings in the works to start new plants for spring. Trying 2 different ways for them. I'll have about 20 if they both work. Plan to do the same with a couple of blueberry bushes in the spring.
Also gonna build more raised beds to add to the 2 I did this year. I hope to have 10-12 eventually. I want to get at least 6 done this winter and ready to go by spring. I've started putting together seed orders also. Some stuff for this coming year and a lot more to put back for the future. I'm always looking for new to me types of different veggies. I've got 6-8 different beans built up for seed. Probably 10 different watermelons, several different winter squash. I stick with open pollinated stock almost entirely. I have a good gallon of okra seed from stock I've grown for 20 years or more. Starting to build stock of tomatos and peppers as well.
I've got my onions ordered and plan to let a few of them winter over and grow for seed in 2022. Also gonna grow more parsnips and carrots in 2021. Gonna try different things in the beds too. Cabbage, lots of greens. We shall see what else

BacP yall really do great with all the gardening and food prepping.

I have ten large raised beds and three smaller ones. Aiming to add another 3 larger ones before spring to make up for the 2 I have dedicated to strawberries this year and one that will become just asparagus long term. I have ordered mulberry and plum trees to add to the orchard. Considering more cherries and pears. I always plant more blackberries and blueberries. Giving the grapes another year before considering adding more. Attempting to keep potted herbs inside over winter. My space is limited but so far so good. Garlic is planted, I spread it out in a number of the raised beds as it acts as a major deterrent to most damaging insects and let's me grow tomatoes and brassicas without resorting to insecticides.

I have ten large raised beds and three smaller ones. Aiming to add another 3 larger ones before spring to make up for the 2 I have dedicated to strawberries this year and one that will become just asparagus long term. I have ordered mulberry and plum trees to add to the orchard. Considering more cherries and pears. I always plant more blackberries and blueberries. Giving the grapes another year before considering adding more. Attempting to keep potted herbs inside over winter. My space is limited but so far so good. Garlic is planted, I spread it out in a number of the raised beds as it acts as a major deterrent to most damaging insects and let's me grow tomatoes and brassicas without resorting to insecticides.

Thats good that you can keep up with all those beds.

steven is doing or continuing on with what another guy had done basically..albert etter.he lives close by alberts old experimental farm. to my understanding its in shambles mostly and nothing left of it but a tree or two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Etter

My saviour in that regard is mulch, lots and lots of mulch. It reduces the number of times I have to water, bugs and of course weeds! So my only really busy times are planting and harvest.

Great idea Rebecca we should have used more last few years but that meant more raking and so last year we tried hay and it did ok too, but didn't like putting it in our soil which has been organice for past 80 years or more, 60 before we bought it.

Great idea Rebecca we should have used more last few years but that meant more raking and so last year we tried hay and it did ok too, but didn't like putting it in our soil which has been organice for past 80 years or more, 60 before we bought it.

Not all organic though,we do use fertilizer in our hyfroponics. Tried Aquaponics too hot here for tht without climate control.Don't like the smell of the so called organic fertilizer for hydros either plus no telling where it comes from.

Back